PDA

View Full Version : Help from the other ladies?

travelingmcmahans
3rd November 2003, 12:13 AM
Or guys, if you're at all into clothing and such;)

I'm very excited to be coming to Scotland to go to Hogmanay in Edinburgh. :D We will be going to the big street party of course, and I wonder what to wear. Is it completely casual - jeans and sweaters? Or could I dress up a little more? It doesn't get super cold does it? This is a big deal for me, so it would be fun to dress up a little bit. Thanks!

I know this isn't MINI related, so you can move it if you like, I don't know how. I thought I was putting it in Off Topic - oops :blackeye:

Gismo
3rd November 2003, 12:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by travelingmcmahans

Or guys, if you're at all into clothing and such;)

I'm very excited to be coming to Scotland to go to Hogmanay in Edinburgh. :D We will be going to the big street party of course, and I wonder what to wear. Is it completely casual - jeans and sweaters? Or could I dress up a little more? It doesn't get super cold does it? This is a big deal for me, so it would be fun to dress up a little bit. Thanks!

I know this isn't MINI related, so you can move it if you like, I don't know how. I thought I was putting it in Off Topic - oops :blackeye:
Hi Dana, clothing is optional, you can wear whatever you like, i've never been but i've seen the newspapers reports etc. Absolutely anything goes, but, be warned, it will be mighty cold, you will be there for a good few hours.
I don't want to spoil your fun but you will need to wrap up warmly, many people fall asleep (ahem, pass out) on park benches etc, not suggesting you will of course.
Did i mention it will be cold, for me jeans and as much woolen clothing as you can muster or to get into the spirit how about some kind of costume.

Hope that helps

Bonnie Scotland

euan
3rd November 2003, 02:08 AM
I did it in 2000 - it was bloody cold and very very busy. Got stuck on George Street facing the Firth and was completely unable to turn around for 30 mins. So, heavy shoes may not be a bad idea to avoid broken toes! :)

For all that, it was a great laugh. To be honest, as long as you keep a sense of humour, the drink flowing, and keep warm, you'll be fine. Jeans, thick jacket, and a hat!

Monsta Mo Mini
3rd November 2003, 03:12 AM
We've not done the street party bit for a few years now - last time we did it was snowing and VERY COLD! Lots of warm layers and a strong bladder are required. All I'll say about the portaloos is...DON'T DO IT!

GAJ
3rd November 2003, 04:06 AM
Right, I'll be the fourth "lady" to reply, only to repeat what the other ladies have already said - it will be baltic and there will probably be rain so wear warm clothes! I've not been for a good few years, I got put off because it is so busy. It shouldn't be quite as bad now that numbers are limited to those with passes but forewarned is forearmed!

travelingmcmahans
3rd November 2003, 05:52 AM
Really, that cold? I checked up online and the average was shown as 32-44 F. I wasn't even planning to bring a coat. I'm freakishly warm blooded, and am always hot, even when the wimps at the office are crying about being cold. Hmmm. Perhaps I should rethink the coat thing. Just hate to think of packing one.
I hadn't even thought of the porta pottie situation. Yuck. Double yuck. I held it all day in Italy once because I wouldn't use the "hole" version. Oh well, I suppose if I have drunk enough, it won't matter too terribly much. But yuck. I'm v e r y picky about toilets, and have to go after one glass of water.

KarenH
3rd November 2003, 07:55 AM
I can't add much to what the guys (who are obviously into clothing) have said :). It does tend to be cold or wet (Edinburgh is quite a windy place in winter) at Hogmanay. I've never been to the party - though I did watch it on TV one year when it snowed quite heavily.

Tahra
3rd November 2003, 06:18 PM
Well here goes from a Lady who's been a couple of times before and after the passes. Theyre all very right, it is very cold and never believe those temps on the internet ! You will see some people dressed up or underdressed but theyre normally shipping a lot of alcohol to make up for it ! Even with the passes go in a bit earlier or you'll get stuck in crowds trying to get through the gates and they might be searching bags for bottles which can take a while. Also like Euan said it can get so busy that you can't move, so if you get there earlier you can actually move about and see the various stages before getting a spot with a decent view. Managed to avoid the loos in the past but I can imagine......

Saying all that it can be a great laugh and if you fancy getting kisses from guys in kilts, policemen, firemen, Darth Maul then George Street is definately the place to be ! Of course being an old married lady its all a distant memory and Ill be at home with a mug of cocoa!:evil:

travelingmcmahans
3rd November 2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the helpful info everybody. That brings me to The View. Any suggestions on the best place to situate ourselves?

Monsta Mo Mini
3rd November 2003, 09:28 PM
If you want to see the fireworks then Princes Street is really the best place though up on George Street looking down Fredrick Street is a good spot.

euan
5th November 2003, 12:48 AM
The only problem with George Street/Fredrick street is that everybody on George Street has the same idea and it can get REALLY busy.

sh@z
5th November 2003, 01:00 AM
yep, pretty much everywhere is BUSY BUSY... so be prepared to be in a huge crowd :)