PDA

View Full Version : Manky Windows!!

feefabelle
13th March 2006, 09:13 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the inside of their windows!?! Dont know if i'm just being crazy but i clean them all the time and within matter of days there is a rank stripe of whitey looking rankness on the inside again!! Any suggestions as to what to do??:question::mad:
Fiona

ELFMAN
13th March 2006, 05:17 PM
Could just be all the salt/dust on the roads at the moment, that combined with moisture inside could cause streaks from the winding mechanism when the windies go up & down.

Suggestions? Stick a cloth in you door bin and wipe as necessary!

Wul
13th March 2006, 05:35 PM
Fiona - this is a commonly reported fault on earlier MINI's - my 52 plate is still doing it 3 years later! Speak to your dealer if your car is still under warranty - they can strip the door down and clean everything but it does eventually come back!

Elfmans suggestion is your easiest bet though. :clown:

gill
13th March 2006, 10:43 PM
Yes, we get this problem too - only started doing it a while back.

Car now out of warranty but might chance out luck as it should be going in for a pre-warranty issue this week anyway!!! ;)

Scottie
13th March 2006, 10:51 PM
I have the same problem.:(

AndyP & Lenore
13th March 2006, 11:56 PM
We have had it in both of our MINI's. The answer is I don't let Andrew put the window down.:eek::D

L

Andrew says: Make sure you run a regristry checker regularly and your anti-virus software and firewall are up to date.;););)

P.S. You must excuse his homour though.:D

feefabelle
14th March 2006, 01:28 AM
He he i will try that one Andrew! :)

Sometimes a cloth doesnt remove it, its like really rank, stuff that has to be scrapped of (only sometimes)!! Only got my baby in September so its still under warrenty, but if it keeps coming bak is there really much point!?!

Guess i'll just have to go about with manky windows! :(

Wul
14th March 2006, 01:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

And your spelling too!! :evil::p;)

Burple
14th March 2006, 01:36 AM
Wasn't this put down to the waxy grease used in the Window winder motors?

Yeah, it happened on my old Cooper, and happens on the new One too!

It's a feature ;):D:p

sleepyrascal
14th March 2006, 04:19 AM
I have this too. L&L I think it is something to do with greae becasue its bloody hard to clean off sometimes!

Apparently its also something to do with the seal at the bottom of the window. When the window is completely down, the lower seals meet which transfers the crap from the outer seal to the inner seal and in turn, to the inside of your window.

AndyP & Lenore
14th March 2006, 07:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

And your spelling too!! :evil::p;)

I guess so.:D:I:D

T6 KFR
15th March 2006, 02:02 AM
Glad Im not the only one with this problem. It really pisses me off at times:evil:

Keep the armour all window wipes in your glovebox..only solution:)

ELFMAN
15th March 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm always winding my windows down..... OK, OK, to listen to the exhaust. How SAD am I? Well it keeps me happy.

Consequently, on my 'S' (and previous COOPER), I have tiny vertical 'scratches' on the driver's window - presumeably from the winding mechanism. It doesn't affect visibility, and you only see it if you're looking for it, so I haven't bothered getting anything done with it. Wonder if that showed up during BMW's comprehensive and exhaustive Testing.....?

feefabelle
16th March 2006, 05:02 AM
Hey all, took it to the dealer today, and it kinda amazes me, but the person i spoke to had never heard of such a complaint!!??!! Does everyone else just put up with it??

AndyP & Lenore
16th March 2006, 05:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by feefabelle

Hey all, took it to the dealer today, and it kinda amazes me, but the person i spoke to had never heard of such a complaint!!??!! Does everyone else just put up with it??

Standard dealer fob-off. Go back. Show them the problem. Ask them nicley to fix it. Sounds awfully like you having the trouble the others are describing above. I can't see how it's a feature. It's a fault, surely!

feefabelle
16th March 2006, 05:24 AM
its all good, i thot it might have been a fob off, so i said "well lots of people on newminiscotland website have had this fault"..... she booked me in on saturday!! hehe

Wul
16th March 2006, 05:25 AM
Feefabelle - click this (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=7134) link and print the posts off and take them with you the next time. Take photos of it every time too this helped me get my window seals replaced on my first cooper.

feefabelle
16th March 2006, 05:34 AM
ohhh waw u guys are soooooo helpful!! Thanks!! Is it a long repair job Wul?? might have to ask for a wee courtesy car.... got a nice big BMW 1 series last time, super fast vehicle, prefer my wee baby mini tho!

Mini Me
16th March 2006, 05:53 AM
you know the only way to stop this from happening is not to put the window all the way down.I know it aint the answer you are looking for , but wirth 4 years of experience, its caused by putting the window all the way down,and allowing the outer seal(bottom of window)transferring all the dirt to the inner seal.......

Honest guv :p;p}

feefabelle
16th March 2006, 05:59 AM
so is that the only thing that causes it minime?? dont think i even have to put it all the way down for it to appear, not sure tho.

Mini Me
16th March 2006, 06:22 AM
that's what causes mine anyway, but there may be another reason !!!!

Crombers
16th March 2006, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by feefabelle

nice big BMW 1 series

No such thing :approve:;)

FI , FI ........ put that big stick doon

feefabelle
20th March 2006, 04:10 AM
Just to let you all know, i got the windows sorted on saturday! There was too much grease on the winding mechanism, so they removed some grease and cleaned the windows. Didnt clean the rest of my little baby tho :(
Thanks for all the advice!!