PDA

View Full Version : Suspension - Sports or Sports Plus?

Moorf
12th March 2003, 08:28 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondered what your thoughts were on the sports suspension options with the Chilli pack for Coopers.

The dealer thought that the Plus version was too harsh so we have opted for the standard, but hubby just can't help thinking the Plus might be better... what's the general opinion?

Taa
Moorf

Willie M
12th March 2003, 04:35 PM
Hi Moorf

It all depends on what you're looking for from your car really. Sports suspension is a little 'softer' than the 'Plus', possibly a little more comfortable on longer journeys and for round town driving.

My Cooper (+ my previous one) has the 'Plus' setup. I certainly don't find the car uncomfortable by any means but it certainly is a slightly harder ride. It improves the cars cornering capability meaning you can drive through the twisty stuff that little bit quicker (not that I'd condone that sort of thing of course) :)

The size of wheel on your car will also have an effect. My new Cooper came with the standard 16" 5-star alloys and I must admit I found these quite comfortable. I have since fitted 17" wheels with a lower profile tyre and the ride is definitely a bit more robust :D

As I say though, I certainly don't find the car uncomfortable. If you're looking for maximum comfort and aren't worried about driving your car like a girl racer then I'd guess the sports suspension setup would probably be your 'smoother' bet.

Gismo
12th March 2003, 08:32 PM
Moorf, i've had a cooper with the sports suspension and now have an "S" with the sports plus, i've also lowered the car and fitted 18" wheels and i can confirm that the ride, though harsh at times, is fine. Long journeys give me no problems, around town depends on the roads but you will notice them.

Best of luck, i would pick sports plus every time.
If you want to dawdle around corners and generally take your time, then you wouldn't benefit.

Bonnie Scotland

Moorf
12th March 2003, 10:04 PM
:D:D:D:D Sports Plus it is then!!

Oooh, I bet the dealer chappie hides when he hears who is on the phone for him !!!

Moorf

KenL
13th March 2003, 05:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Moorf

:D:D:D:D Sports Plus it is then!!

Oooh, I bet the dealer chappie hides when he hears who is on the phone for him !!!

Moorf

Nah. Go in and hang out for a few hours that will freak them out :D

What dealer you using?

Moorf
13th March 2003, 07:42 AM
:D We've already done the "hanging around" bit, and then we managed to get them to give us a trial car overnight :p although I suspect that was to get rid of us!!

We've bought through Grassicks in Perth... they are great actually, although I suspect hubby's daily phone calls are now dreaded!!

john
13th March 2003, 08:23 AM
I am on my second cooper with sports plus and no regrets

Woz
13th March 2003, 10:31 AM
We still cant quite make up our minds on this one and the dealer does not have a cooper with ss+ on it. :mad:

We have had a test drive of a cooper with SS and 17" wheels. I know the 17" wheels give a harder ride than the 16".

Does anyone know if SS+ with 16" would feel abaout as harsh as SS with 17"?

Woz

Willie M
14th March 2003, 07:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Woz

Does anyone know if SS+ with 16" would feel abaout as harsh as SS with 17"?
Don't know on that one Woz??

scott shand
18th March 2003, 05:59 AM
my first cooper had the sports only and was great but my new one has the ss+ and is better would def recomend it, as for sports and 17" i would say it would be almost as hard as the ss+ cause you are shorting the spring travell by putting bigger wheels on hope this is some help.