PDA

View Full Version : Winter ride.

minidriver#1
2nd November 2003, 05:10 AM
i'm going to look for a small cheapish secondhand car for the winter, not wanting to take my car out on the salty dundee roads this winter and am wondering what you suggest?

I'm not spending more than £800 at the most so i'm thinking maybe a corsa or something along those lines.

Also, what should i look for when going to auctions and things? i know to take a mechanic with me so etc.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

sh@z
2nd November 2003, 05:15 AM
well for one check the car thoroughly before bidding on it ;)

john-apex
2nd November 2003, 05:23 AM
What about using a bus KJ. Save your cash:). Surely better than a corsa.

Duncan Stewart
2nd November 2003, 05:51 AM
I thought about doing the same and a Rover Metro seemed the best bet. nippy, good handling and a bit mini like to drive. You can pick up a good one dirt cheap. Fiestas handling is awful. Nova / Corsa be careful its not a thrashed boy racer example.
In the end I decided I would rather have my Minis ABS, side impact protection and airbags in winter!
Hope this helps

Big Col
2nd November 2003, 07:21 AM
<splutters> A ROVER METRO!!!!!!!! MINI LIKE??????? BLASPHEMY!!!

john-apex
2nd November 2003, 08:44 AM
Duncan come on, a Rover Metro :dead::dead::dead:get a bus pass!

Gismo
2nd November 2003, 04:15 PM
My car is my daily driver, as much as i don't want to see it damaged in any way it was bought for a purpose and that was to take me from A to B when i want.
If it were me ;) i would spend the £800 pound on a wee mod or two :p and save the extra insurance money.
You do know that with a second car you start with zero no claims :(

Best of luck though, a classic if you must

Bonnie Scotland

minidriver#1
2nd November 2003, 10:33 PM
i'm liking the bus idea. lol

minidriver#1
2nd November 2003, 10:33 PM
i'm liking the bus idea. lol

euan
2nd November 2003, 11:23 PM
If your spending 800 quid on a car, why not get an old Mini?

Having both me and my brother in new MINIs my old man bought an old one. Granted, I got the the shock of my life when I opened it up to find a pipercross filter and a sports exhaust, but what a giggle to drive. Not sure my brother was happy that it looks EXACTLY like a baby version of his car though....

broken_brian
3rd November 2003, 12:07 AM
u could try a citroen xantia 1.9 td just for that strange floaty suspension and no handling whatsoever i used one as a runaround while i done some extensive welding on my mini classic. It make u appreciate how good minis really are old or new. or for some sideways fun on the winter roads u could try a sierra.

broken_brian
3rd November 2003, 12:09 AM
ps. xantias are solid cars cos i crashed mine at about 40 mph and just cracked the bumper

Duncan Stewart
3rd November 2003, 04:08 AM
Hey! I said I decide against a metro! :mad::I Seriously though the reason they are a good second hand buy is the sort of people :dead:8) who run them - don't you know you suffocate if you go over 40mph!! :cool::D
As for a classic mini I would have recommended one 10 years ago but try finding a decent one for 800 quid now. I avoid using my classic in the winter as it is much more lible to rust the my new mini (I hope!).

bazza
3rd November 2003, 05:53 AM
KJ you would be better off just spending the 800 quid on a good jet wash twice a week for the winter it would be better than driving a Metro (that is kind of minish mmmm?).

Bas:cool:

Burple
3rd November 2003, 06:48 PM
KJ... If you decide to go for a Classic mini (maybe not the best thing ever for the winter... ;)) and you want ahand to go have a loko at some, give me a shout an I'll come along and dig holes in all the right places if you want..
I've had.. ahem.... LOTS of them in the past.. in various states ;)
Get a Mini... or get the bus!!! :D:D

lightbody
3rd November 2003, 06:54 PM
I'd agree that a Classic Mini isn't the best thing in winter... fogged up windows for a start, also it might dissolve before spring!

I can't think why you wouldn't run your MINI right through winter though - its a modern car with good rustproofing, its safe for winter (ABS etc. and good demisting!) and you bought it to have fun in it so use it!

For a used car, you'll get lots more for your money if u look at slighly bigger cars. Rover 200? Mondeo even...

john
3rd November 2003, 08:22 PM
I have for sale a lovely Corolla executive:)

51,000 miles new MOT and years road tax:)

Electric windows,mirrors,sun roof,power steering etc etc

new alloy wheels and the original alloy wheels and it could be yours for £800:)

minidriver#1
3rd November 2003, 09:56 PM
do you have pics? ;)

sh@z
3rd November 2003, 10:23 PM
its a corolla.... :)

john
4th November 2003, 03:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

do you have pics? ;)

Give me your e-mail address and I will take a photo in the morning in daylight:)