PDA

View Full Version : Any mechanics in the house?

Big Col
7th March 2006, 06:50 AM
I'm looking for a bit of advice folks. My better half has a Ford Puma. She had a flat battery last week so we used jump leads to get her car started. After her car was running her speedo stopped working. When it was put in to get fixed the garage told her that "You shouldn't use jump leads on a Ford Puma" despite the fact it tells you how to use them in the manual. I smell b/s here but want to be sure. Can anyone help:question:

Mark R
7th March 2006, 07:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I smell b/s here

If that's the case you have bigger problems than the speedo not working in the car. I'd get them to check that out while your there. :D

monkimagic
7th March 2006, 08:30 AM
I have heard that about the Mini aswell, something to do with the electronic engine management systems & other computers are sensitive to the power spike. It won't damage them every time but it will at some point. To avoid an overload or flash of the car electrics switch on some electrics, lights, fan ect... during and after starting.( this will prolong the procedure but prove safer )

This is what my dad says, hes a lorry mechanic.

What was the problem, was it a cable or computer ?

Big Col
7th March 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what the problem was at the moment mate. I heard about the problems third hand through the girlfriend and her mum. Not always the best way to get information about what a mechanic has done to a car. :) I'd imagine it's a lead since the Puma doesn't have a trip computer.

Big Gordy
7th March 2006, 04:59 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm not sure about this. Can't see how replacing a flat battery by connecting a charged one would overload the cars "brain". I know a man who would know so I'll give him a bell later and let you know at lunchtime OK :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
7th March 2006, 09:10 PM
Right :approve: spoken to the man that knows and he says that JUMP starting is perfectly OK:D The computer stuff on a car is protected by fuses which stop them blowing up if there is a surge during jump starting:D The guy maybe meant BUMP starting which is not advisable on any car fitted with a cat.converter :p:D:approve:

Big Col
7th March 2006, 09:44 PM
It cannie be that mate as the guy had said that he thought it might have been the jump leads that loosened something off at first. Humph!

Why can you no bump start a car with a Cat.conv?

Burple
7th March 2006, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
It cannie be that mate as the guy had said that he thought it might have been the jump leads that loosened something off at first. Humph!

Why can you no bump start a car with a Cat.conv?

Cos the unburnt fuel that is pupmed through the engine before it fires destroys the internals of the cat.. (does it do this all by itself? Or does it combust when the engine fires- subsequently destroying the cat?)

Crombers
7th March 2006, 10:09 PM
Trade the thing in for a MINI :p;):cool:

Big Gordy
8th March 2006, 03:50 AM
quote:It cannie be that mate as the guy had said that he thought it might have been the jump leads that loosened something off at first. Humph!
Is this guy an absolute PLANK:evil: Jump leads loosening something off:mad:what a load of bollocks:evil: :p:D:approve:

saraandcraig
12th March 2006, 12:06 AM
had this problem with the new 307 changed the battery then the whole centre console radio display heater controls etc would not work , phoned the dealer who said the control unit had been spiked and would need replaced as the car had not been put into sleep mode before the battery was changed . I thought that was BS but after talking to a few people they have had the same thing s modern cars dont like getting power interupted