PDA

View Full Version : Question from a techy thicky

Smurf
3rd March 2006, 08:53 PM
I know I'm going to regret asking this - but......

I'm thinking of getting an iPod. Really really want one, but justifying the expense at the moment to myself.....

Question - can you take songs back off it again?? I've already got iTunes, and I'm assuming I can just copy what I want onto the iPod. But can I change what's on the iPod, or just add to it? (Trying to work out how much space I'd need on the iPod...)

Thanks guys! :I:D

GAJ
3rd March 2006, 09:10 PM
Simple answer - yes! It's basically just a hard disk so you can write stuff to it and delete stuff as often as you want. iTunes gives you two main options as to the way you control the content on the iPod -
i) - the iPod synchs with iTunes each time it is connected so that you always have all the songs which are on your computer on your iPod or
ii) - you can manually control the songs on your iPod simply by dragging and dropping tracks from the iTunes library window to the iTunes iPod window. You can delete tracks from the IPod without deleting them from your computer.

My advice would be to go large! Almost 10,000 songs on mine and still can't find stuff to play sometimes! Nanos are cool though!

Smurf
3rd March 2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks GAJ!

Next question - what would I need to play it in the car.....

Wul
3rd March 2006, 09:33 PM
Smurf - what stereo have you got in the car just now?

Smurf
3rd March 2006, 09:36 PM
MINI standard CD player.... (do they call it boost or something?)

Wul
3rd March 2006, 10:49 PM
OK - well you can fit one of these (http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=226) to the back of the head unit and then plug your ipod in using a double ended jack lead.

or

the icelink kit for full functionality here (http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=227) not sure how reliable this is though as remember people having problems with the early icelink kits!

GAJ
3rd March 2006, 10:54 PM
Broadly, you've got 2 options, either an FM transmitter like an iTrip (try Google) or a hardwired solution like the aux-in adapter available from dealers or the Dension IceLink. The IceLink's supposed advantage is that you can control the iPod through the HU but when Heather had one it caused lots of problems and didn't work well; they may have updated the software since then but I'd be tempted to stick with the dealer supplied cable. I have one which I used before I replaced the headunit and it worked perfectly. Only cost about £35 or so and are easy to fit.

Crombers
3rd March 2006, 11:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

I know I'm going to regret asking this - but......

I'm thinking of getting an iPod. Really really want one, but justifying the expense at the moment to myself.....

Question - can you take songs back off it again?? I've already got iTunes, and I'm assuming I can just copy what I want onto the iPod. But can I change what's on the iPod, or just add to it? (Trying to work out how much space I'd need on the iPod...)

Thanks guys! :I:D

Glad you asked the Q Smurf as I huvny got a scooby either :I:clown:

(Geez A huvny even got a PC in ma hoose yet , I do however know of a man who will hopefully rectify this wee problem of mine in the very near future :approve::D)