PDA

View Full Version : So much for a pre-sale inspection

Mark R
3rd March 2006, 05:00 AM
For anyone that doesn't know my MINI is in at Eastern MINI for a faulty boot lock repair. I also wanted to get some rattles checked out too while it was there. Well this morning I call up the service department to find out what's up.

Seems that there were more problems than just a faulty boot lock and a couple rattles. Here's the list, at least what I remember from it -

Exhaust silencer corroded, nearing having a hole through it from what I saw.

Leaks in the power steering pipe and some other pipe, don't remember which.

Brake pads worn, some corrosion on discs.

Rattles from parcel shelf, boot lock and steering column.

Boot latch broken, don't remember exactly what part was mentioned.

So there we go, quite the list. I keep thinking if the boot lock wasn't faulty and I hadn't bothered with the rattles I could have ended up with a huge repair bill in a few months when it was time for it to be serviced.

Since this was a Cherished MINI it should have had a full inspection before it was sold to me. How could they have done that and missed so many problems. They should have at least seen all the rust on the exhaust. Not only that it was given an MOT and passed days before I took delivery less than too weeks ago. The service guy told me that it should never have been sold in that condition. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the car being safe to drive.

Just not I'm waiting on the dealer to authorise the repairs of everything since most of what was wrong isn't covered under warranty. They already told me everything will be taken care of, only delay is the sales manager who would do that was in a meeting this afternoon. Bad thing is I'm looking at Tuesday or later before everything will be sorted out and I can pick up the MINI. Worse is the fact that there are no courtesy cars available at the moment either so right now I'm stuck taking a bus. I intend on having a chat with the dealer about this tomorrow though.

Brian_Cooper_S
3rd March 2006, 05:13 AM
Shocking!!

Craig
3rd March 2006, 06:49 AM
well Mark, I would be livid!! :mad::mad:

This lack of care should not be allowed to happen at a main dealer. Someone should be getting a right good kick up the bahoochie.

I would ask to see the MOT check sheet, also the PDI which is done by MINI before they are allowed to put it back out on the forecourt to be sold. This will have what work was carried out and also who was responsible for it.

I'm not talking about getting someone their jotters, just that this sort of thing needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt by a main dealer sending out a vehicle in sub-standard condition.

:disapprove::disapprove: