PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to anyone else before?

Sheilz
28th February 2006, 06:46 AM
Sat 11pm I filled up the car at the Esso garage on Holburn St Abz and when I went to pay my card wouldnt work. I didnt have any other means of paying on me so offered to go to the cashline at Asda (5mins in car)and return immediately. The woman went ballistic at me as I refused to leave my car and walk there (freezing cold,no coat and truthfully would not have felt safe walking at this time of night). She threatened to call the police so I told her to go ahead but I would be back in about 5mins. I offered to leave my address etc but she would have none of it, just wanted me to leave my car and hand my tax disc into her. I did return would have been daft not to but I thought this was a bit unreasonable given the time of night and the fact it would take the police all of a few seconds to trace me if I didnt. I think the woman was a bit shocked that I point blank refused to 'obey' her forecourt policy.

Scottie
28th February 2006, 07:04 AM
h'mm not very understanding was she. Difficult situation can't really comment.

However I am sure I read somewhere;) but could be totally wrong;);) that some Major Oil Copanies policy is not not to prosecute non paying customers. Cost to much money I must stress that I may have dreamt this;)

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:10 AM
Yup. Just walk out that's what I say! :D

The Dogfather
28th February 2006, 07:12 AM
I once went down the the local garage to fill up. After filling up I realised I'd left my wallet at home, I told the girl that I would nip home to get it. She was fine about it......

If the woman was abusive report her, if loses her job she might just learn a lesson.....

Sheilz
28th February 2006, 07:24 AM
Maybe her boss had threatened that any loss of takings would come out of her pocket. She was very rude when I returned, threw my change and receipt on the counter but I wouldnt complain incase she lost her job. Funnily enough I'm pretty sure the other woman who works their would have been much more flexible in her approach. Am used to working with hostile individuals so it was water off a ducks back and besides like every one else I can be haughty and snotty when I want to be. Was both esp when she chucked my change and receipt down :I:I

AndyP & Lenore
28th February 2006, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

However I am sure I read somewhere;) but could be totally wrong;);) that some Major Oil Copanies policy is not not to prosecute non paying customers. Cost to much money I must stress that I may have dreamt this;)

Wayhey!!!! Free Fuel! Free Fuel!!! Free Fuel!!!!!!:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

Sheilz
28th February 2006, 07:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

You maybe shouldnt have told us all this ;):D:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
28th February 2006, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Sat 11pm I filled up the car at the Esso garage on Holburn St Abz and when I went to pay my card wouldnt work. I didnt have any other means of paying on me so offered to go to the cashline at Asda (5mins in car)and return immediately. The woman went ballistic at me as I refused to leave my car and walk there (freezing cold,no coat and truthfully would not have felt safe walking at this time of night). She threatened to call the police so I told her to go ahead but I would be back in about 5mins. I offered to leave my address etc but she would have none of it, just wanted me to leave my car and hand my tax disc into her. I did return would have been daft not to but I thought this was a bit unreasonable given the time of night and the fact it would take the police all of a few seconds to trace me if I didnt. I think the woman was a bit shocked that I point blank refused to 'obey' her forecourt policy.

This is a tricky one. I think you've just come accross a "jobsworth" who interprets the rules the same way regardless of who's in the predicament you were in. If you had been a 17 year old lad with a hooded top and a bumfluff beard growing, she'd have been absolutley right in refusing to let him leave without some form of security. But you'd think she would have taken into account that a mature woman prepared to leave her name and address and reg number was not about to flit the country.

The trouble is, she has to answer to her boss when he/she clocks on and if she'd lost the company money by "not following the rules" she may well lose her job anyway.

Either way "going ballistic" is an absolute no-no. Regardless of the situation, or who she's dealing with.

The ultimate reason for you being put in this situation - poor staff training. :(:disapprove:

Burple
28th February 2006, 07:42 PM
quote:
This is a tricky one. I think you've just come accross a "jobsworth" who interprets the rules the same way regardless of who's in the predicament you were in. If you had been a 17 year old lad with a hooded top and a bumfluff beard growing, she'd have been absolutley right in refusing to let him leave without some form of security. But you'd think she would have taken into account that a mature woman prepared to leave her name and address and reg number was not about to flit the country.

So it would have been alright to let a young lad on his own wander over to the cash machine under the same circumstances?
I wear a lot of hooded tops, and occasionally find the same sort of behaviour from people who can't see past it. Believe me I'm far from the Non-Educated-Delinquent stereotype. :p Surely each situation is different and you'd analyse a situation like this before deciding rather than making blanket assumptions based on someones looks?
i.e - Hooded top - casues trouble
Middle aged woman - respectable citizen

Would that include the 'resoectable middle aged woman' who tailgated me flashing her main beams whilst mouthing obscenites for about a mile the other week, because I had the cheek to be doing 40 in a 40 limit and she couldn't get past? ;)

quote:
The ultimate reason for you being put in this situation - poor staff training. :(:disapprove:

The ultimate reason for most situations like this, unfortunately it puts some people (possibly like the woman in the garage)into difficult situations at work sometimes, and they don't have the training / communication skills to avoid conflict.

Personally I would have done the same as you, walked out to get cash. :D:D

As a side note, Isn't it still possible for EPOS machines to have card numbers entered manually rather than having to swipe them?

And as BD says, if someone was abusive to me under those circumstances, I'd probably complain about them too. It's not on to abuse your (nearly ;)) paying customers is it?

Sheilz
1st March 2006, 06:19 AM
If someone intended to not pay for their petrol surely they would bolt from the forecourt and not bother going through the charade of pretending to pay so I guess I go with LnL on this. My sons all wear hoodies at some point in a week and all three are honest decent young men. Statistically the youngster is prob more at risk from random street violence than the middle aged (Ouch!!) wifie. Anyway. Black mark to Esso:blackeye:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd March 2006, 06:24 AM
In reflection I think the Hooddies reference may have been out of order:I. It was, perhaps, a generalisation that went too far. No offence intended to anyone, including Ewan or Shielz's kids8). Honest!:)

But I do speak from experience:eek:. We've had sweeties stolen from the cinema. We've had members of staff verbally abused and threatened etc. Every time out the box its a teenager - and sorry, but usually in a hoodie!!!:eek::eek::eek: But I realise that doesn't mean everyone in a hoodie is a theif, which is perhaps how my original post suggests.:disapprove:

Burple
2nd March 2006, 07:33 AM
None taken at all! :D:D

There's theiving little scumbags out there too!
Although it's more the wee neds with their trackies and sexy tucked in socks round here for now! :blackeye::evil::D

AeroJonny
2nd March 2006, 10:13 AM
I think we need to pay more attention to the type of hoodie!!!
;)

Big Col
2nd March 2006, 04:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

In reflection I think the Hooddies reference may have been out of order:I. It was, perhaps, a generalisation that went too far. No offence intended to anyone, including Ewan or Shielz's kids8). Honest!:)

But I do speak from experience:eek:. We've had sweeties stolen from the cinema. We've had members of staff verbally abused and threatened etc. Every time out the box its a teenager - and sorry, but usually in a hoodie!!!:eek::eek::eek: But I realise that doesn't mean everyone in a hoodie is a theif, which is perhaps how my original post suggests.:disapprove:

Ya backedallin' fairy! ;) Personally I think everyone that wears a hoodie is a thug and a vagabond and should have rotton veg and fruit thrown at them wherever they go! The fact Tom Thumb over there wears one is proof of that and as for Sheilz kids wellllll I mean, she's a bit dodgy and tries to scam out of paying for petol so if their mother is anything to go by...;):D:):p:clown:

Burple
2nd March 2006, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

I think we need to pay more attention to the type of hoodie!!!
;)

That's probably closer to the truth than you realise..
There's different 'types' of Hoodie I suppose. It's all in the details..

Generally, the Neds love their Adidas, Kappa and Nike and other faceless corporate giants, and I wouldn't go near one of those... cos I don't wanna look like a ned! :D
Mine are all of the skating / boarding variety, lesser known names.
I suppose in general people wouldn't see that tho, and assume the worst because of the negative imagery in the media..

Burple
2nd March 2006, 07:35 PM
quote:

Ya backedallin' fairy! ;) Personally I think everyone that wears a hoodie is a thug and a vagabond and should have rotton veg and fruit thrown at them wherever they go! The fact Tom Thumb over there wears one is proof of that and as for Sheilz kids wellllll I mean, she's a bit dodgy and tries to scam out of paying for petol so if their mother is anything to go by...;):D:):p:clown:

Weren't you wearing one the last time I met you in Menzies??? hmmmm?
It's was kinda difficult to see up there into the clouds..

And 'vagabond'?? Ooooooooo <waggles fingers under chin>
Get you! You've been playing too much GUN young man! :p:p:p:p

monkimagic
2nd March 2006, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Superb reply :D:D:D:D

Sheilz
5th March 2006, 09:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

;)

am gonnae set ma dug an wains on ye ;):D:D:D

Mini Me
6th March 2006, 04:48 AM
She could have kissed my plump little ass ,that's for sure !!!!!!
Some people, honestly[v][v][v]

Ave driven away forgetting to pay loads of times, they just get you the next time(if there is a next time):p