PDA

View Full Version : Paint scratch

Mark R
26th February 2006, 10:06 AM
Today I came a little too close to another car when backing out of the driveway. I really just thought I had enough space to get round the car parks opposite the drive, but turns out not so much.

Anyway no damage or dents, apart from the emotional one since the car's only been mine a week and a day, but there is a scratch in the paintwork. Any suggestions on how to go about getting this fixed? I'm know little about polishing and things like that so no idea if it can be polished away or not.

Anyway this is what I'm looking at.

http://www.marksmini.com/images/bump.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't really able to get a good photo of it. It's next to the trim just below and to the right of the chrome bar below the boot.

Sweeney
27th February 2006, 12:42 AM
Have you tried a bit of t-cut to see if it reduces it? i take it if you run your finger nail over it you can feel it?

ive had some deep scratches on mine, although hairline ones they were still deep, a bit of t-cut and a good coat of wax and they disappear for me.

N12 JLK
27th February 2006, 05:38 AM
Try some Mer polish on it , its good for scratches, marks and as a polish!

Mark R
27th February 2006, 08:03 AM
I used some Meguiar's Scratch X on it which has lessened the visibility of the scratch. I might give something else a go to try and remove it a bit more. It's not as bad now so I may just leave it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

macblob
27th February 2006, 05:35 PM
Make sure with scratch X that you work it pretty hard as it requires heat to break down the scratches proparly.
You could try a polish that has cleaners and fillers in it afterwards which should hide the scuff a bit more.

Mark R
1st March 2006, 02:37 AM
Gave the dealer a call and they told me to just take it round there on Saturday morning and they will see what they can do. Even said that if it will just polish out they wouldn't charge me for it. Just hope it's not bad enough to need more than that.

T6 KFR
1st March 2006, 09:57 PM
maybe i am wrong mark, but from the photo i cant see thats polishing out... unless miracles do happen. I have yet to see one happen:disapprove: