PDA

View Full Version : Help save my MINI - Cooper/One Suspension Swap

The Dogfather
22nd February 2006, 08:15 PM
An appeal!

I have Sports Suspension Plus fitted to my MINI.

I'm looking for someone with either a Cooper or a One who would be willing to swap suspension. If I'm not able to sort out a swap then it'll be bye bye MINI. There's nothing wrong with the suspension BTW.

Post if you're interested. Thanks.

Craig
22nd February 2006, 08:59 PM
why the need for the swap - too harsh a ride? ?

Smurf
22nd February 2006, 09:09 PM
If it's too harsh a ride - what size wheels do you have, Bad Dog? I have Sports Suspension Plus, with 16", and runflats, and I don't have any problems.

I believe the 17" runflats make it much harsher.

Big Gordy
22nd February 2006, 09:15 PM
I have a set of standard cooper springs in the loft if that's any help:question: :p:D:approve:

john
22nd February 2006, 10:18 PM
the last time he spoke of getting rid he converted to gas:(

Is the the big build up to air suspension??:D:D

Wul
22nd February 2006, 10:45 PM
Next stop "Pimp My Ride" for BDM's mini methinks and he's getting rid of the bits in advance!! :p

The Dogfather
23rd February 2006, 02:53 AM
It's the ride, its far too hard. I've got 17" and normal tyres not runflats.

I'm not sure if the just springs will help, any advice welcome.

Smurf
23rd February 2006, 05:06 AM
Try a set of 16" ! I don't mean go and buy some, well, not yet, but see if you can swap, and try it, it might make a difference?
Even with the runflats, I don't have any issues, apart from potholes, and there's nothing you can do about them.
On good roads - no worries.

It's just a thought - I"m no expert.

duncan
23rd February 2006, 05:22 AM
I'll agree with Smurf here. I've got the 16s, Runflats and SS+ and although its firmer than my old One, its not unbearable

The Dogfather
23rd February 2006, 07:21 AM
The car used to have 15" and the ride was still fairly hard, I need to err on the side of caution at the moment so suspension will need to be changed. :(

Wul
23rd February 2006, 04:55 PM
BD - My cooper is running the SS and 17" S-Spokes and I have to say i don't notice any real difference from the SS+ and 17"'s I had on my MCS. I reckon it's a ONE suspension you need to aim for........eh Gordy? ;):p

Big Gordy
23rd February 2006, 05:00 PM
Like Bad Dog says I don't know if just the springs would make a big enough difference:blackeye: But your more than welcome to try them if anyone has any evidence that it would make a difference. Maybe minime or one of the Menzies guys could shed some light on this for us;)..........ohhhhhhhhhh laydeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :p:D:approve:

GAJ
23rd February 2006, 05:36 PM
I had a One with standard suspension and 15"ers as a courtesy car once and I was surprised how soft the suspension was - but not in a good way.:eek:

Big Gordy
23rd February 2006, 09:15 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with standard "ONE" suspension in my opinion:evil: Having said that I run mine on 17"ers:D My old XR2 had adjustable Koni's on the front that I had set at 'half' and they shook your filling out:eek:so didn't want to go down that route again hence the standard set-up on our "ONE";) :p:D:approve:

Big Col
23rd February 2006, 09:25 PM
Translation : The wife wont let him do anything to the suspension on her car! ;):D

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 12:18 AM
Bad dog you mini is like a cat! It really does have 9 lives (and only 5 left)

Duncan Stewart
24th February 2006, 01:43 AM
:D You canny beat a good set of 15s :p (in my rather unique opinion ;))

john
24th February 2006, 06:52 PM
chuck out the big heavy tank from the boot that should help!!:D

The Dogfather
24th February 2006, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

That's no way to talk about Jackie :p:blackeye::eek:

Crombers
24th February 2006, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Hopefully Jackie does not visit NMS :p;)

Gismo
24th February 2006, 08:58 PM
Paul, not being argumentitive here, but, surely you must have known before you installed the LPG whether the suspension was ideal or not:question:
As i see it, your theory of installing the LPG to cut your costs will actually cost you more than if you'd stuck with the normal expensive fossil fuel ;)
I seem to remember you saying that once installed you'd defo keep the car for it to make it cost effective :p

The Dogfather
24th February 2006, 09:10 PM
Alan, I was going to keep the MINI long term, but there now seems to be a link between driving the MINI and a medical complaint.

If I don't drive the MINI for a few days I'm OK, but as soon as I drive the MINI lots of pain. I'm pretty sure its the hard ride........ :(

I really pee'd off as the MINI sounds great, handles brilliantly and does 260 miles on £15 of fuel. What the hell am I going to replace it with?

Smitty
24th February 2006, 09:57 PM
Why dont you replace your wheels with 16's or even 15's?. I'm sure that would improve the ride.

Big Col
24th February 2006, 10:20 PM

I need to err on the side of caution at the moment so suspension will need to be changed. :(

Sheesh you insensitive lot don't exactly pick up on subtle hints do ya's???? In his quote above he's trying to point out he has a medical reason for trying to get softer suspension but you guys make the guy spell it out that he has piles!!! Why not just buy a wee inflatable doughnut cushion BD? ;):D:clown:

The Dogfather
24th February 2006, 10:22 PM
Col, you're the only large pain in the arse in a MINI :D

The Dogfather
24th February 2006, 10:24 PM
The ride was still very fidgety when I had 15s

GAJ
24th February 2006, 10:50 PM

Would that not be chuck out the big heavy boot from the tank?

Only kidding!;)

Nobody would describe a MINI as a tank!;);):clown:

The Dogfather
24th February 2006, 11:11 PM
:D

The Dogfather
28th February 2006, 05:42 AM
Looks like no luck on the suspension front then :(

A decision will be made tomorrow about the MINIs replacement either a A2 TDI Sport (to be superchipped to 110bhp), 3 Series Compact TD or my choice an 1.8 MX5.

It'll be nice to drive a car without the back/nerve pain.

A sad day approaches :(:(:(:(

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:12 AM
Awwwwwwww come on man there must be an alternative. Can you not change seats/wheels/complete suspension? :( Bad dog A3 TDI Sport or Bad Dog 3 series comact TD or Bad Dog Hairdresser doesn't have the same ring!

The Dogfather
28th February 2006, 07:20 AM
I could change them but it still might not be enough, and it'll cost me another grand or so...... I'm not throwing anymore money at the car. Time to call it a day :(

The MX5 is still a good drivers car, and it'll tide me over until the new shape traveller comes out. BTW Col it was an A2 not A3

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:43 AM
Sorry mate. Typo. :)

The Dogfather
28th February 2006, 02:35 PM
Ah, I did look at an A3 Sport but only 130 around no 150s

N12 JLK
1st March 2006, 05:37 AM
Ive got 17" bullets with runflats and dont think its that bad, handles a lot better than the wheels I had on my One a few years back.:p

The Dogfather
1st March 2006, 05:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Ive got 17" bullets with runflats and dont think its that bad, handles a lot better than the wheels I had on my One a few years back.:p

Lesley have you got sports plus? I have and for me it's bad, however I will miss the handling :(

Although powersides in the MX5, if we get it, will be lots of fun :D

Craig
1st March 2006, 07:33 AM
you still coming down to Oxford Paul ? ?

The Dogfather
1st March 2006, 04:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

you still coming down to Oxford Paul ? ?

If we decide to let the MINI go then probably not :(, however if I can sort out the suspension/seats then I'll be there.

I'll be able to let you know either today or tomorrow....

Craig
1st March 2006, 04:51 PM
no probs Paul, hope you get it sorted, would be sad to loose another person to the "euro boxes"..;)

The Dogfather
1st March 2006, 06:05 PM
I don't think an MX-5 would be classed as a Euro Box, a jap, hairdresser's ponce mobilee maybe ;)