PDA

View Full Version : i-pod

Big Col
22nd February 2006, 05:17 PM
Don't suppose any of you technopeeps fancy floggin' me an i-pod do ya? I want one that I can just leave in the flat and not give a chuff about battery life as I don't like plugging the one I use in and charging it everynight when the battery life is fine? It just has to be one that can be charged via usb. (Sorry Euan. :))

Gismo
23rd February 2006, 09:31 PM
Col, i have a 60 gig photo that can be charged via USB, it also has over 8,000 tracks on it, i'm sure it's a 3rd gen with the clicky wheel, battery life is still excellent

Make me an offer 8) don't ask me what I want for it :evil::p:)

Big Col
23rd February 2006, 09:57 PM
Methinks that's a lil too expensive for me mate. What are they new, around about £270? That means I'm guessing you're gonna expect about £200 or there abouts? I was hoping to get away with a wee bitty less than that.

Gismo
23rd February 2006, 10:06 PM
Sheesh 8) looks back at his last post, yep "make me an offer ;)"
Col, it's a 3rd gen, it's over a year old, currently selling on eBay for around £110 including the songs

Big Col
23rd February 2006, 10:34 PM
<blinks> Uhm...yeah...well...I hate making offers for things as I never want to insult people by offering too low! :I Shall we say £100 then. :D

Gismo
24th February 2006, 12:10 AM
Gulp, just looked on the iPod site for a new 60 gig video :eek: £299 :disapprove:
Unless you're prepared to pay £150 including all the songs, i'll be keeping it

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 12:13 AM
or i could give you a 3rd gen 20 GIG which is an ex bonnie scotland special!

SOrry to hijack you deal bonnie :D

would accept less than 100 :pIt also has thousands of songs on it. However ita all Bonnie scotlands music so be warned :D

Wul
24th February 2006, 01:07 AM
Is it not the case though that as soon as you dock it with a new PC Itunes will wipe the songs off the ipod? So your stuck with BS's songs or have to start filling the library again?

miniscot00
24th February 2006, 01:17 AM
Only if you have iTunes set to Sync with the iPod. You can select certain playlists to update automatically or opt to do it manually.

Scottie
24th February 2006, 02:22 AM
dam if only I could find the 2g nano you could have bought that don't know if it charges through the usb thingy though.

do you want me look for it ??????

sedgie
24th February 2006, 03:56 AM
how much u want sleepyrascal????....i dinnae want the songs.....i looking for wan fir meh hubbys b'day!...i have the new 30gb wan.....he saw that n wants <coughs> he cannae see sh*te!

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 04:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

how much u want sleepyrascal????....i dinnae want the songs.....i looking for wan fir meh hubbys b'day!...i have the new 30gb wan.....he saw that n wants <coughs> he cannae see sh*te!

MAke an offer :cool:

sedgie
24th February 2006, 04:21 AM
10 squid lolol....nah tell me how much u lookin for!

Big Col
24th February 2006, 04:27 AM
Haw haw haw haw haw! Back of the queue Sedgie! Either that or start your own bloomin' thread!!! :evil::mad:;)

£150 is a lil steep for me Alan as it's just for leaving in the hoose.

Sleepy if the 3rd gen is the one that charges through the USB then I'm interested!

If it doesn't then get lookin' Fi! :D Although knowing you're taste in music I don't want the tunes you'll have on it! ;)

sedgie
24th February 2006, 04:29 AM
:eek::eek::eek: Bitchy!!!!.....hehehehe:p:p;)

Big Col
24th February 2006, 04:31 AM
:D

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 04:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Sleepy if the 3rd gen is the one that charges through the USB then I'm interested!

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong....

None of the Ipods charge through USB however they ALL charge through USB2. But BIC COL, if your using this for your stereo, I would suggest getting a mains charger so you can just leave it on main power all the time in a dock for example. I have both a charger and dock which i could be persuaded to sell along with the ipod...

Sedgie... IN all fairness to BC, he really should have first refusal on this as it is his thread.

These are not acyual pictures of my Ipod but exactly the same only mine is a 20G not a 40G. The bottom pic shows the Dock.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/49/5a/17_12_s.JPG

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/49/59/ea_1_b.JPG

sedgie
24th February 2006, 04:46 AM
No probs.......soz tae butt in!:D;):cool:

Big Col
24th February 2006, 04:51 AM
Are they sure they all charge through USB2 mate? I didn't think the older ones did and I'll be connecting it up though me X-Box 360 so need it to charge through USB. :)

Scottie
24th February 2006, 05:03 AM

Haw haw haw haw haw! Back of the queue Sedgie! Either that or start your own bloomin' thread!!! :evil::mad:;)

£150 is a lil steep for me Alan as it's just for leaving in the hoose.

If it doesn't then get lookin' Fi! :D Although knowing you're taste in music I don't want the tunes you'll have on it! ;)

cheeky:D but your right;):p:I

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 05:16 AM
Are they sure they all charge through USB2 mate? I didn't think the older ones did and I'll be connecting it up though me X-Box 360 so need it to charge through USB. :)

Dam i dont know. I have the dock for it if thats any help. I really dont know.

Smitty
24th February 2006, 05:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

just plug it into ur USB port n see sleepy. If its charging the batterty will change to have a small plug on it.

I no mine does (6G, video one) but not sure on the later ones

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 06:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

just plug it into ur USB port n see sleepy. If its charging the batterty will change to have a small plug on it.

I no mine does (6G, video one) but not sure on the later ones

I dont have USB2 so it wont charge on my laptop regardless.

Mark R
24th February 2006, 08:52 AM
It's only the iPod minis and possibly the iPod photos onward that charge via USB, all earlier models used firewire. I only know because I've got one the same as sleepy and just tried it out.

USB 2.0 is required to charge via USB that's true. Mainly because the earlier version of USB didn't provide enough power. I'm pretty sure that's accurate but I'm sure someone will let me know if that's wrong.

Big Col
24th February 2006, 04:42 PM
D'oh! Thanks for the info Mark and thank you for the offer sleepy. :( Sedgie, carry on. ;)

OHHH FIIIIII! :D

GAJ
24th February 2006, 05:23 PM
Any iPod from the fourth generation onwards will charge via USB. It does not need to be USB 2.0, however the USB socket must be powered.:)

Wul
24th February 2006, 05:29 PM
But But.....why not use the power adaptor/ dock to charge it - you need a power socket for your X-Box and telly anywyay!! 8)

Smitty
24th February 2006, 05:49 PM
Why not just buy a AC adaptor from ebay. I got one for about £5 with delivery.

Saves waiting half a day for it to charge via USB

GAJ
24th February 2006, 05:53 PM
In the good old days the iPod came supplied with a firewire cable, a USB cable, a remote control, a mains charger and a dock. It cost more though!:(

sleepyrascal
24th February 2006, 07:05 PM
Well Big Col I have the DOck also. I think what folk are saying is that it will charge via udb if the pod is in the dock.

Gismo
24th February 2006, 09:34 PM
Music can be removed from the iPod in a couple of ways that i know ;)
A freeware programme called Ephod can do it, but you'll need to read the instructions as i've forgotten how it works ;)
Or, the long way, simply connect the iPod to a computer, open iTunes and burn disks of the tracks you want onto re-writable DVD's or CD's then rip them into MP3's onto your PC, long winded but it works :p but mosty importantly it's NOT illegal ;)

Big Col
24th February 2006, 10:16 PM
The power connection for the i-pod is the same port that's used to transfer the stuff across Wul so I wouldn't be able to charge it from the wall and connect it up to my X-Box and play tunes from it at the same time. I want to be able to plug it into the X-Box and leave it there.

Unless sleepy is right and the dock will mean it can be charged via USB but I don't know if that's the case?

Wul
24th February 2006, 11:44 PM
I presumed the point of the dock was it had a separate power lead and a usb lead so that people with non-powered usb sockets can still charge the ipod.

Mark R
25th February 2006, 02:11 AM
Dock uses one cable. I had mine in the dock when I tried it. Charges and access info on the one connection to the computer. Firewire was used before they switched to USB, that's the 6 pin firewire port which also provides power and not the smaller 4 pin port.

There is however a cable available that allows you to plug it in via USB and charge from the power adapter with firewire. They, Apple, made it for people with PCs that didn't have a firewire port built-in on their computers. So if you could find one of those then you could use an older iPod. They don't sell them anymore but you might get one of them on eBay.

Gismo
25th February 2006, 02:21 AM
Col, you do realise that you can only play music on an iPod on iTunes that is connected via a USB to iPod cable :question:
Once you insert the USB cable into a device like the xBox it simply charges it, if you then insert a mini stereo cable into a hi fi with RCA's or similar you won't be able to play any music.
If you connect the iPod to a computer using a USB to iPod cable you'll be able to open iTunes and play the music through that whilst it's charging.
So, can you explain exactly what you want to be able to do with the iPod when it's connected to the xBox, if it's simply to charge it you'd be better off with just a dock and power supply :approve:

Big Col
25th February 2006, 04:09 AM
I want to be able to play my music through the x-box Alan mate, otherwise I'd just plug it into a wall socket. :) Sorry folks I just realised I never made that clear.

You decided to come down to £100 Alan mate? Awwwww ok...£110? :D

Wul
25th February 2006, 04:35 AM
You can also pick up a cheap usb hub (£15ish) which has a power lead, plug one end into the xbox and then the other end into ipod cable - that get's round the need for a usb2 port. unless as MMM says only the 4th gen onwards charge from usb. 8)

like this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16523792882&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43759) one!

Gismo
25th February 2006, 04:48 AM
Hmm, just did a bit of searching online, it would appear that yes, you can listen to music from an iPod through the dashboard.
The reviews i read did not mention what type of cable was used, so, Col, do you know if it does work and with what.
I'm offshore the noo, but will try it when i get home, not that i need it to work, but just curious

Big Col
25th February 2006, 08:13 AM
You can defo play the i-pod through the X-box Alan mate that's what I've been doing but it's wrecking the battery on my current i-pod as it keeps charging it when it aint empty which is why I want one to just leave hooked up. You just connect the i-pod up to the usb slots in the front of the X-box behind the wee flap. :)

Wul from what I've looked at it's only 4th gen that charges from USB. Aint that why Euan was selling his? If not then we may have a solution! :D

sleepyrascal
25th February 2006, 12:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

You can also pick up a cheap usb hub (£15ish) which has a power lead, plug one end into the xbox and then the other end into ipod cable - that get's round the need for a usb2 port. unless as MMM says only the 4th gen onwards charge from usb. 8)

like this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16523792882&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43759) one!

Wul, I bought the belkin usb2 hub with power cable on the assumption that it would act as a USB hub when connected to my USB1 port on my laptop. Unfortunately this is nt the case. The only way to get USB2 is to install a USB card. The power cord is simply to boost the power supply when you stack more than 5 hubs... according to belkin anyway.

Big Col
25th February 2006, 06:26 PM
D'oh!

Gismo
25th February 2006, 06:37 PM
You can defo play the i-pod through the X-box
Ok, so, I must have a 4th gen iPod as it charges through the USB connector, still for sale at £150, ah go on, £140 delivered ;) + lunch at John's

Smitty
25th February 2006, 06:39 PM
I have two USB2 ports on my laptop but then have a USB1 HUB plugged into one for additional sockets (bought USB1 by mistake).....but anyway, just plugged the iPod into it and it chargs no problem.

Probably not at the rate USB2 will charge it but it does charge, and i can put songs on it this way to, all be it at a reduced rate.

Big Col
25th February 2006, 09:03 PM
Sorry Alan mate. Thanks for the offer but £140 is just a bit too much when it's just going to be left plugged into me x-box. I should probably just buy a ruddy home stereo that plays mp3s. :)

Anyway, the next lunch is on me. :)

GAJ
25th February 2006, 09:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

I have two USB2 ports on my laptop but then have a USB1 HUB plugged into one for additional sockets (bought USB1 by mistake).....but anyway, just plugged the iPod into it and it chargs no problem.

Probably not at the rate USB2 will charge it but it does charge, and i can put songs on it this way to, all be it at a reduced rate.

It'll charge it at the same speed regardless of whether it's USB1 or USB2. The important thing is that the socket is powered. The difference between the two is purely in the speed that they transfer data, not power.

Scottie
26th February 2006, 03:17 AM
Colin,

I've found my 2gb nano:D:question:

Big Col
26th February 2006, 07:03 AM
Nice one Fi. Do you know if the Nano will charge from the usb?

I can't believe this thread has ran into 3 4 pages! Sorry for the hassle to everyone.:I

Edit as this post took it to 4:eek::I

Smitty
26th February 2006, 07:54 AM

Nice one Fi. Do you know if the Nano will charge from the usb?

I can't believe this thread has ran into 3 4 pages! Sorry for the hassle to everyone.:I

Edit as this post took it to 4:eek::I

The Nano will definatly charge through USB....i can confirm that:D:approve:

Gismo
27th February 2006, 02:39 AM
Just think of all the electricity you've wasted answering this thread :p you could have bought my iPod after the first post and probably saved money ;)
coughtightersesplutter

GAJ
27th February 2006, 04:28 AM
I think he was going to, you put the price up!!

Coughtightersesplutter!;)

Big Col
27th February 2006, 05:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Excellent point and very well made! :D:approve:

Gismo
27th February 2006, 06:20 PM

Excellent point and very well made! :D:approve:
Hmm, I don't think so :mad: i asked for an offer, he didn't make one, then i hinted that on eBay they were selling for a price range, he then made an offer which didn't meet my expectations :eek:
At no time did I put the price up :disapprove:

GAJ
27th February 2006, 06:54 PM
I thought it went a bit like -

Make me an offer - don't ask me what I want for it...

...I'm guessing you're gonna expect about £200? I was hoping to get away with a wee bitty less than that...

...they're currently selling on eBay for around £110 including the songs so make me an offer...

...I never want to insult people by offering too low! Shall we say £100 then.

Unless you're prepared to pay £150 including all the songs, i'll be keeping it!

I asssumed from that initial part of that exchange that you were inviting an offer of slightly less than £110 (bearing in mind the NMS ethos you have mentioned in the past). I didn't think that you would expect Col to say "Well if I can buy one from a stranger for £110 then I'll give you £150"!?!? Apparently I'm mistaken?

Nothing to do with me though, anyway!:blackeye: I just like putting my neb in!;)

Gismo
27th February 2006, 08:06 PM
I asssumed from that initial part of that exchange that you were inviting an offer of slightly less than £110
Assume makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me" ;)

bearing in mind the NMS ethos you have mentioned in the past. I didn't think that you would expect Col to say "Well if I can buy one from a stranger for £110 then I'll give you £150"!?!? Apparently I'm mistaken?
At no time did i invite an offer of anything slightly less than £110, i merely indicated that on eBay similar iPods were going for around that figure with songs. The ones i had looked at had around 1,100 songs.
My NMS ethos still stands, i will have a go at anyone who wants to gross profiteer on this site.
To think that selling an iPod that originally cost me £239 and now has over 8,000 songs on for £150 is trying to rip Col off or is breaking my NMS ethos is wrong.

quote:Originally posted by GAJNothing to do with me though, anyway!:blackeye: I just like putting my neb in!;)
We agree on something ;)

GAJ
27th February 2006, 08:36 PM
Well done David Brent!

Alan, it's an iPod. The ripped songs on it are worthless, you don't have the right to sell them or even to give them for free, that's illegally sharing music - see previous threads.;)

It's clear now though thanks to your explanation - you can buy one on eBay for £110 but you are looking for £150 for your one cos you are going to 'add value' by illegally sharing ripped music.

Thanks for clearing that up!:mad:

Gismo
27th February 2006, 09:08 PM

Well done David Brent!

Alan, it's an iPod. The ripped songs on it are worthless, you don't have the right to sell them or even to give them for free, that's illegally sharing music - see previous threads.;)

It's clear now though thanks to your explanation - you can buy one on eBay for £110 but you are looking for £150 for your one cos you are going to 'add value' by illegally sharing ripped music.

Thanks for clearing that up!:mad:
Nice one, who the hell is David Brent!
Knowing that Col has all of the original tracks on MY iPod i can safely sell it to him ;) without breaching any copy right of any artistes therein named.
I'm adding value because i've already transferred the songs onto the iPod for him, saves him loads of time ;) or maybe I only assumed he had the originals.

I'm sure Col will be along shortly to personally thank you for getting involved in his thread and denying me any chance of his initial request of buying an iPod

Big Col
27th February 2006, 10:16 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well...uh...<coff>...uhm...that is to say...<fiddles with collar>...yeah...uhm...well...I mean obviously...<edges towards the door>...HEY LOOK OVER THERE!!! WUL'S GIVING LNL A BATH WITH A MEGUIRS MITT!!! <runs like fcuk into the distance>

Wul
28th February 2006, 12:33 AM
Don't drag me into this Col.................Col.........................CO L.........................COL:clown:;)

Burple
28th February 2006, 01:01 AM
hee hee hee... Ooh, stoppit that tickles.... :I
Oh..er... umm.. where did you all come from??:I:I

Err.. Look!! Look!! There's a guy over there driving while smoking, drinking, reading, eating a Pot Noodle and pickin his nose whilst driving!!...

<disappears in a blur of teeny legs and suds>

:eek::eek::p

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:27 AM
<light reflects off the mirror Col has stuck to a bayonett with a bit of chewing gum and is poking round the corner>

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:28 AM
PSSST! EWAN!

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:28 AM
EWAN!

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:31 AM
You see that depression over ther <points to a big hole caused by the fallout from Gaj and Alan>. I want you to make for that hole and give me an Wul some covering fire whilst we break these two up! <flinches as a stray bullet shatters the mirror> Stay low <looks Ewan up and down> <coffs> Uhm...sorry about that...uh...you know what I meant! Now GO GO GO!!!

Big Col
28th February 2006, 07:32 AM
DAMMIT SOLDIER RUN I WANT THAT IPOD!!!

GAJ
28th February 2006, 08:21 AM
:) INCOMING!!!!

Gismo
28th February 2006, 06:30 PM
Col, you've been playing that call of duty 2 on the xBox 360 aintcha ;)
Aw geez, hey Gaj, they fell for it, we can take them out, now where did i put that booby trapped USB charging iPod with 8,000 songs on :I:clown:

Burple
28th February 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm running... I'm RUNNING!!! <flings arm over top of helmet>

Go Go Go!!
<lobs grenades like there's no tomorrow>

Keep running tho! Your legs will NEVER fit down here!!
:p

Wul
1st March 2006, 06:06 AM
I don't know - i disappear for the day and see what happens!! :clown:

euan
28th March 2006, 03:22 AM
So did anyone buy a blooming ipod? And has Wuls furry mit recovered? ;)

Big Col
28th March 2006, 09:13 AM
I didn't buy one in the end. BS was trying to rip me off too much. JOKE! JOKE!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dogfather
28th March 2006, 04:55 PM
Blimey, and I thought this thread would be dull ;)

I wonder if LnL has taken to wearing Wul's mit as a wig to keep his baldy napper warm :question: