PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Now!

3GGG
30th October 2003, 08:17 AM
Look out to the North - fantastic display of Northern Lights tonight!
Clear Skies!

Linda M
30th October 2003, 05:00 PM
Willie was driving home from Edinburgh late last night and said it was beautiful. I didn't get out of my bed to look :I:clown:

3GGG
30th October 2003, 05:07 PM
Sorry you missed it Linda, it was a good one. First saw it about 7pm, then had to go to visit the mother-in-law and could also see it as I was driving, came home and it had gone, then much later at about 11pm it was back better than ever, I watched from my bedroom for about 20 minutes.

Fontal
30th October 2003, 07:10 PM
You guys and gals want to try living up here in the shetlands the northern lights are out most nights and the fill the sky with colour greens blues pinks all shooting, it's absoloutly fantastic.
I've been trying to get pics but the digital camera wont pic them up
Richard

Burple
30th October 2003, 07:29 PM
Heh heh ... bugger... I missed that. I t was cloudy over Dundee... been looking tho!...
The cause of it this time was radiation and stuff from the 3rd biggest ever Solar flare form the sun, which apparently only took 30 hours to get to us..... Scary stuff!!!!

Fontal
30th October 2003, 07:52 PM
It is quite licky that it will just as spectacular tonight as well so keep those eyes peeled.
Richard

Gismo
30th October 2003, 08:17 PM
I'm right in the middle of it this far up north, low cloud cover last night but still spectacular.

Bonnie Scotland

seany
30th October 2003, 09:47 PM
no never saw them to cloud.

Burple
30th October 2003, 10:39 PM
Some pics...
All from the USA unfortunately....

http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_01oct03_page3.html

seany
30th October 2003, 10:47 PM
SOME NICE COLOURS.

3GGG
31st October 2003, 04:12 AM
Its back again tonight ! - Nice green curtains in the North.

3GGG
31st October 2003, 07:11 AM
The 'Merry Dancers' are overhead now with curtains going down towards the north. Get away from the city lights and have a look if you have the chance.

Burple
31st October 2003, 06:48 PM
Went out again last night... about 12.30...
Wow.... Really bright reds and white!! that was pretty cool..
Seemed to start in a point almost overhead, and fan out towards the north East and north...
So was it different coulour depending on how far north/south/east/west you were?
I'm in Dundee... (well I was standing in the middle of bloody nowhere at the time freezin me ******* off!! Thank feck for heated seats!!... ;))
:D:D

3GGG
1st November 2003, 01:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Went out again last night... about 12.30...
Wow.... Really bright reds and white!! that was pretty cool..
Seemed to start in a point almost overhead, and fan out towards the north East and north...
So was it different coulour depending on how far north/south/east/west you were?
I'm in Dundee... (well I was standing in the middle of bloody nowhere at the time freezin me ******* off!! Thank feck for heated seats!!... ;))
:D:D

Glad you saw it!

The colour of the aurora is dependent on which atoms are excited. Atomic Oxygen in the upper atmosphere produces the green. When the storm is very intense nitrogen molecules emit the crimson red colour. There are also Ultraviolet components that we can't see in the spectrum of the aurora.

No two aurora are ever quite the same, how they look depends on where you are relative to the auroral arc and how intense the activity is.

Gismo
1st November 2003, 02:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
The colour of the aurora is dependent on which atoms are excited. Atomic Oxygen in the upper atmosphere produces the green. When the storm is very intense nitrogen molecules emit the crimson red colour. There are also Ultraviolet components that we can't see in the spectrum of the aurora.

No two aurora are ever quite the same, how they look depends on where you are relative to the auroral arc and how intense the activity is.
And just exactly who on here is as qualified as me to argue with that :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

macblob
1st November 2003, 02:13 AM
certainly not me lol:cool:

Burple
1st November 2003, 02:31 AM
heh heh... nice... must have been pretty darn intense last night then!!
BRIGHT RED all over the sky!! :D

Some pretty excited atoms out there.... ;)

3GGG
1st November 2003, 02:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

And just exactly who on here is as qualified as me to argue with that :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

Well the question was asked 8);)

Some old aurora photos I took:
http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/visual_aurora.html