PDA

View Full Version : clicking from steering

ajamesj
19th February 2006, 03:22 AM
I have had my Mini for 2 weeks now but every so often I get a clicking from the steering when turning left anyone else have this problem ???????? it doesnt do it all the time but is annoying

Andy

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2006, 09:37 AM
We've got it in our Cooper S. It started pretty much as soon as we got it (March 05). It just kept getting worse and by October it was driving us nuts. It has been in our dealership 4 times for the same clicking since. It's now a little less noticeable, but there's no doubt at times, it's still there.:mad: But our S has been riddled with annoying rattle and creaks since we got it. the car must have been in 6 or 7 times since we got it to fix all manner of rattly annoyances; dash, a pillars, b pillars, you name it. It's gone through three clicking interior rear mirrors.:mad::mad::mad:

Still love the car though.:D

Wul
19th February 2006, 09:24 PM
It's a commonly reported fault on earlier models but I thought it had been sorted on the newer ones - it's the bearing at the top of the steering column - get your dealer to check it out for you.

Mini Me
19th February 2006, 09:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

It's a commonly reported fault on earlier models but I thought it had been sorted on the newer ones - it's the bearing at the top of the steering column - get your dealer to check it out for you.

I would agree with this action :)

eddie 44
20th February 2006, 06:28 AM
had the steering column on both my cooper and cooper S replaced ,
clicking at slow speed....

AeroJonny
20th February 2006, 07:34 PM
My One had 3 steering columns last year and my Cooper had two!!! I've now got a squeaky dash, the joys.

Sweeney
21st February 2006, 03:23 AM
Mine has the clicking and the interior rattles my dealer simply said the rattles and squeaks are "a characteristic of the mini due to its design and size", the steering wheel was fine as they could not recreate the clicking.

Lynsey
21st February 2006, 04:25 AM
We are not alone! I had the same problem on my previous mini (2003), it drove me nuts now and again, my answer to the problem..... turn the cd player up louder! However i have now got a 55plate and i havent noticed any noises....touch wood!!!!!

Sweeney
22nd February 2006, 03:16 AM
Lynsey, it'll catch up with you :P
mines an 05, they didn't change anything in them recently though did they?

Burple
22nd February 2006, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Mine has the clicking and the interior rattles my dealer simply said the rattles and squeaks are "a characteristic of the mini due to its design and size", the steering wheel was fine as they could not recreate the clicking.

Take it to a decent Dealer matey! Did you ask to buy a car specifically with rattles and squeaks? I'm guessing you didn't spend all your hard earned cash to be fobbed off by a Dealer who can't be bothered sorting your car out!

"Characteristic of the Mini" = "it rattles and squeaks, but we can't be arsed to sort it out properly for you"

AeroJonny
22nd February 2006, 09:12 PM
I agree with LnL, get them to pull their finger oot!!! What dealer do you use?;)

Sweeney
23rd February 2006, 03:30 AM
yeah i know they are "extracting the urine", ill go back to them soon, just not looking forward to having some halfwit tinkering with my motor!!!

Douglas parks in hamilton is my dealer.

ajamesj
23rd February 2006, 05:26 AM
No noise coming from steering now hopefully its away just covered 1500 mile since I got my Mini 3 weeks ago its great fun

Andy

AeroJonny
24th February 2006, 02:01 AM
Henry Bros. are really decent at aftersales, they've been brilliant with both my cars even tho neither were purchased from them. They have just opened a really nice shiney aftersales centre at hillington but they're prob still running the workshop at the showroom. I'd give them a call cos they don't mess about.