PDA

View Full Version : Winscreen Replacement

Big Col
29th October 2003, 05:16 PM
Driving homwe last night something smacked into my windscreen causing some serious cracking. I dunno what it is but I think it might have been a Russian Satellite that had lost orbit going by the bang. Anyway I was wondering if anyone on here had any nightmares after getting their windscreens replaced and any comments on what to look out for after it's done.

Gismo
29th October 2003, 05:54 PM
Colin, you only need to read some of the horror stories on MINI2 to realise the problems that can occur.
One big issue seems to be the A Pillar trim, it would appear that too often if flies off whilst driving and also leaking.
Not too sure if it's best to get your dealer to do it or the likes of mobile company.
I'm not trying to put you off getting it done, you should do it as a safety concern.

All the best and bad luck.

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
29th October 2003, 06:01 PM
Big Col - what a nightmare! if you pm/email LindaM and ask who she got to replace her windscreen last year. Or phone a dealer and ask who they recommend.

Bummer!

Big Col
29th October 2003, 06:21 PM
My insurance policy (with MINI as it happens) says Autoglass but I'll call me dealer. :( I'll also have to find out which valet service they use as the driver seat needs a good cleanin' too now.

macblob
29th October 2003, 08:48 PM
Ive had windscreens from both rac autoglass, and autoglass themselves, on my 3rd screen now.
1st replacement was fine, fitted no probs, but stone hit it about 2-3 weeks later and cracked it again :disapprove:
Replacement which is in now, i had to fiddle around with the trim on the front a pillars as it hadnt been put back on right and was hanging off on one side when i got home from work. I managed to get it to fit again ok and nothing has fallen of since.

Im with Mini Cover insurance too. Your dealer will just send the car to autoglass or equivalent place to get the screen replaced anyway. Only thing u get by going through the dealer is a front screen with the wee mini logo on it.
Autoglass imformed me that the MINI windscreen is the thinest they have ever seen and very easy to crack, Good luck :D

Big Col
29th October 2003, 09:12 PM
Thankfully it aint too easy to shatter otherwise my passenger woulda been picking his teeth outta the back seat.

Thanks for the responses all. You're a lovely bunch so an' you are. :D

seany
30th October 2003, 09:39 PM
autoglass did my one, no problams.

Big Gordy
30th October 2003, 09:53 PM
Had a look this lunchtime Col but I can't see any cracks 8) saw the crease in the roof though :eek: Not to bad but noticeable :dead:

Big Col
31st October 2003, 04:42 PM
I got the windae replaced on Wed G man so there ain't no cracks anymore. The crease is a pain in the proverbial though. :(

niall
1st November 2003, 09:04 PM
John Clark in Aberdeen did mine no problems. Contacted Autoglass and they were more - Insurance issues caused me to go to John Clark and pay for it. - Elephant.co.uk (enough said!!)

ELFMAN
6th November 2003, 09:32 PM
Had my screen replaced many months back by Autoglass (Bothwell) through my insurance after attack by stone-throwing lorry. Same day (Saturday) service, but trim wasn't fitted properly (A-pillar clips broken on driver's side, clip on chrome surround @ bottom of screen broken and others not seated properly, so it kept popping up). Autoglass fixed the A-pillar (but I got the new clips from my dealer to save time - A/glass refunded me). Pulled up chrome trim myself and fixed it - the good clips are now holding fine despite the broken one.

Tony
6th November 2003, 11:49 PM
I got my screen replaced too, by autoglass.
first attempt they came to my house, and dropped the old screen on the bonnet, whilst taking it out......
they then fitted it without any rubber padding, meaning that it creaked very badly all the time i was driving about.
i wouldnt recommend auotglass to anybody, infact id go out of my wayt to tell people about how much of a mess they made of our car, using a screw driver to lever up the windscreen wiper covers and scrathing the paintwork as well whilst doing it.
all in all they made a bonny mess, and only replaced it after i complained bitterly,...and even then, no apology,.
in future, ill go to my dealer. i have much more faith in them...

Linda M
7th November 2003, 01:21 AM
A bit late on this subject, sorry :I Big cracked windscreen just a few months after getting my MINI. No nightmares for me though as I forked out £300 just to make sure my dealers replaced it and as usual they did a fantastic job !! There was no way anyone else was touching Daisy :clown:

Kirsty
11th November 2003, 06:01 AM
Tony's experience sounds awful!!! Autoglass did mine last year and I have not had any problems!! It was the branch in Dunfermline that did mine and they took about 2 hours and I got it done through my insurance too!!
Good Luck in getting it sorted!!