PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

quiksilver
17th February 2006, 01:31 AM
Awright,

Do many people use regular tyres instead of runflats? Is there any problems in doing so?

cheers

Steve

CooperTrooper
17th February 2006, 01:35 AM
Steve,

i was really worried about putting normal tyres on my run flat rims, but after 10k on Falken's, i wouldnt go back to Run-Flats @ £120 each.

You might struggle though to find a tyre fitter who will put normal tyres on run flat rims . . . .

quiksilver
17th February 2006, 01:41 AM
Yeah,

i drive a BRG Cooper the now, but am witing on new MCS to arrive in march. i was considering puttin a set of split rims on it, and was toying with idea of regular tyres as it would save me a fortune.

You ever came across the instant roadside repair cans for the normal tyres, in order to get round not having a spare?

CooperTrooper
17th February 2006, 01:52 AM
steve,

yeah, ive got 2 cans in the boot just in case, but 10kish miles and still no punctures touch wood.

I've never used it before, but punctures on previous cars have ripped the sidewall etc, so i wouldnt pin all my hopes on it working.

try camskill.co.uk for tyres at much cheapness. . . .

sh@z
17th February 2006, 01:58 AM
When i had my mini i replaced my runflats for goodyear eagle f1's on my s-spokes (went from 215/45 to 225/40), would NEVER go back, the normal tyres are cheaper and transformed the cars handling, especially in the wet where the runflats were useless. What prompted the change was when I got a nail in my runflat and was unable to be rapaired and i was unwilling to pay out for 2 new fronts with crappy runflats so i changed all 4 and never looked back.

Duncan Stewart
17th February 2006, 02:03 AM
I've never used runflats. I find the Mini wears tyres pretty quickly (but don't know if harder runflats last any longer). If you do use normal tyres always carry a spare. I tried using the BMW supplied tyre seal when I got a puncture on my last Cooper but it didn't work - carried a full size spare after that. I took the option space saver spare on my current Cooper.

Mon the fish
17th February 2006, 02:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I've never used runflats. I find the Mini wears tyres pretty quickly (but don't know if harder runflats last any longer). If you do use normal tyres always carry a spare. I tried using the BMW supplied tyre seal when I got a puncture on my last Cooper but it didn't work - carried a full size spare after that. I took the option space saver spare on my current Cooper.

The battery is in the boot in the S, no room for a space saver unfortunately! This is whats put me off non-runflats so far, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go for them soon.

If you get a puncture and need to use the sealant, can the tyre still be used if the puncture is repairable? What I mean is, can they remove the sealant/goo/magic paste and fix the tyre ok? :question:

Craig
17th February 2006, 06:07 AM
once you have tried non run-flats, you will never go back, unless you want the security of the run flats. I personally don't mind and will call mini assistance if I get a flat. BS can vouch for there being no problem with this... :D:D

Scottie
17th February 2006, 06:16 AM
It's one of the first things I take of my car I hate them and on 18's there awful. I carry my mobile so If I was to get a flat I'd just phone Allan or if he was with me on a run I'd take his car and leave him to sort out mine.;):p:D

roadrunner
17th February 2006, 07:15 AM
I have just changed to normal tyres after a year with run flats, and its a good time of year to compare. With the wet weather, the normal tyres are so much better in my opinion than the run flats.
Also I dont seem to get as much tramlining either and the ride is slightly better.

quiksilver
17th February 2006, 08:04 AM
Cheers for that, think i will make the change when i get the new car

Mon the fish
17th February 2006, 09:35 PM
I'm off to source some new non-runflats :D

Gismo
17th February 2006, 09:46 PM
As BDM mentioned, whilst on an NMS run i had a puncture in my non run flat tyre, the goo didn't fix it because it was a sidewall puncture.
I had to get the Mini assistance out to get me home, then the hassle of getting the wheel to a tyre fitter.
I for one will never use anything else than run flats, i don't care that they are are heavy and have handling issues.
Not all areas have reception for the phone

The Dogfather
17th February 2006, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

As BDM mentioned, whilst on an NMS run i had a puncture in my non run flat tyre, the goo didn't fix it because it was a sidewall puncture.

I did:question: :D

Personally I would never use run flats, cost too much, heavy, ruin handling and grip.

If you've got breakdown cover then I don't see the need. I've ditched the BMW gunk and gone for Tyre-Weld, if it doesnae work then the MINI will go home on the back of a truck..... Its not like it happens every week.....:D

Duncan Stewart
18th February 2006, 01:02 AM
Funny how folk think differently :D I'd hate to have to call out the breakdown services and wait on them just for a puncture. Rather just change it myself & get on with what I'm doing.

sjfield1
18th February 2006, 06:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Funny how folk think differently :D I'd hate to have to call out the breakdown services and wait on them just for a puncture. Rather just change it myself & get on with what I'm doing.

Does anyone know how much (roughly) it costs for a spare wheel? one of my learners had an incident with a kerb today. And, like before, no one has the tyre is stock and it has to be ordered in.

Was thinking about keeping a spare in the garage so i wouldn't need to cancel the rest of my lessons if it happens again! :D

Wul
19th February 2006, 01:56 AM
Have a read through THIS (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3147&SearchTerms=tyres) thread for all you need to know re replacing the run-flats. :)

Duncan Stewart
24th February 2006, 01:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by sjfield1
[br
Does anyone know how much (roughly) it costs for a spare wheel? one of my learners had an incident with a kerb today. And, like before, no one has the tyre is stock and it has to be ordered in.

Was thinking about keeping a spare in the garage so i wouldn't need to cancel the rest of my lessons if it happens again! :D

Wheels can be picked up cheaply from ebay. I had 3 sets of 15" and one set of 16" wheels at one stage and :I (only got two now :clown:)
Cost seems to be £30 - £50 per 15" or £60 - 90 for 16" (depends on tyre depth)