PDA

View Full Version : Whinning / Fan Belt noise

T6 KFR
15th February 2006, 09:46 PM
Question.

How quiet is your mini engine when running idle? Forget about your modded exhaust, filters etc....

Just I have a feeling my engine is making a weird noise. Almost like when a fan belt is slipping but only quieter...do anyone else have this?

Is this just the mini engine noise perhaps and I am being paranoid???

KenL
15th February 2006, 09:56 PM
It's not the power steering you are hearing is it?

Turn the wheel gently side to side and you will be able to modulate the sound if it is.

Crombers
15th February 2006, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

It's not the power steering you are hearing is it?

Turn the wheel gently side to side and you will be able to modulate the sound if it is.

Exactly what I was thinking :approve:

Fontal
15th February 2006, 10:11 PM
Back when I had a MINI I had this problem and the garage diagnosed it as an idler pully fault I would get it checked ASAP if I was you.

T6 KFR
15th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Its not the power steering. I know the noise that makes when I trun the wheel. Itis similar though! However no way the power steering should be making a noise when my engine is at idle!

Think I will book into JC, get it checked!

Fontal
16th February 2006, 02:23 AM
This is my topic from before not much info but hey:p

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3421

Craig
16th February 2006, 04:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Its not the power steering. I know the noise that makes when I trun the wheel. Itis similar though! However no way the power steering should be making a noise when my engine is at idle!

Think I will book into JC, get it checked!

your power steering does make a noise when at idle (ie turned on, but no throttle being used..)

If it's overly noisy, this was a known fault on the earlier minis and was sorted under warranty.

Hope you get it sorted..:D

redpoint rallying
16th February 2006, 05:08 AM
Kev,

Funny you should mention this.....I just put my 'S' Works into JC for this very same noise. I was getting a 'fan belt' type screech noise on start up until the car was warm. They said it was the pully drive belt which is what I also thought and they fitted a new one under warranty. That was last week but this morning I heard the noise back again. I will be speaking th JC about it again.

Cheers

M

T6 KFR
16th February 2006, 05:24 AM
quote:redpoint rallying Posted - 15 Feb 2006 : 20:08:46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kev,

Funny you should mention this.....I just put my 'S' Works into JC for this very same noise. I was getting a 'fan belt' type screech noise on start up until the car was warm. They said it was the pully drive belt which is what I also thought and they fitted a new one under warranty. That was last week but this morning I heard the noise back again. I will be speaking th JC about it again.

Cheers

M

I popped the bonnet tonight to def see where the noise is coming from...left hand side. I so think its the fan belt, you guys who say its power steering, well I will tell verdict after Friday at JC's.

Redpoint - you 'rs sounds so like mine....if you speak with JC before friday, could you mention mine is coming in for the same problem. It might help if they already have seen the prob with yours...know what i mean?!?

The Dogfather
16th February 2006, 05:52 AM
Only whinning I get is when I corner too fast, but that noise comes from the passenger seat :D

<An old joke repeated for the newbies> :clown:

redpoint rallying
16th February 2006, 06:08 AM
kev, yes, its from the belt thst drives the alternator etc. (no fan belt on new minis, its electric) JC said that sometimes the belt tensioner isnt doing its job properly. will see what they say as replacing my belt doesnt seem to have cured it.

m

T6 KFR
18th February 2006, 12:33 AM
Just picked up my mini - Its Aok for sunday trip to Crail!

They have fitted it with a new fan belt I was advised.. which confuses me cause Redpoint said there is no fan belt on the mini. Well the noise has stopped anyway!

fingers crossed it stays that way - slient - except for my K&N typhoon and playmini exhaust;)

redpoint rallying
18th February 2006, 01:21 AM
Good, mine goes back in on Monday!

Cheers

M

redpoint rallying
18th February 2006, 01:33 AM
....just slipping into me anorak for a second....The only belt on it is a drive belt (a serpentine one on the 'S') It drives the alternator, water pump, air conditioner compressor, crankshaft pulley and runs against the tensioner. The fan is electric. But hey, who cares as long as the screechy noise goes after they have tinkered with whatever they see fit!

For the ultra anoraks out there, the serpentine belt on the 'S' also drives the idler pulley and supercharger.....yawn...... :)

m

T6 KFR
18th February 2006, 02:14 AM
good luck with your motor then redpoint. Yeah I thought thats what the belt did, as you explained.

Anyho - fixed and repaired:D

again another good service by JC's