PDA

View Full Version : Computer techies help please

Fontal
15th February 2006, 05:19 PM
I have a Dell inspiron 6000 laptop and want to get a broadband wireless router but the problem is what one:question: I already have broadband through an ADSL modem.

What should I get?

Gismo
15th February 2006, 05:46 PM
Richard, without doubt get a Netgear router, very simple to set up, which type depends on your pocket, go for the latest spec and with the most security settings.
Try this one (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8521&GroupID=291)
Does your laptop have a wireless connection?? if not you'll need a card as well, PCMCIA slot type

Fontal
15th February 2006, 06:01 PM
Alan
Will this definatly work with our broadband set up ADSL modem? as I've heard of people buying ones and them not being the right connection.
The laptop does have the wireless conection Type b and another one but not type g (if that makes any sense:clown:)

Cheers Richard

macblob
15th February 2006, 06:10 PM
Is your adsl modem usb or ethernet?

Gismo
15th February 2006, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal
Will this definatly work with our broadband set up ADSL modem? as I've heard of people buying ones and them not being the right connection.
Oops :I directed you to the wrong gadget, i've changes the link in my previous post to the right one :) this router will replace the modem, the router simply connects to your phone line and you connect wirelessly to the router.
Don't worry too much about the type b and g, the router can handle all that, although it's wireless, a lot of people connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable or USB, but it's not needed in a wireless environment

Fontal
15th February 2006, 06:24 PM
cheers guys I'm just useless about all this stuff

Big Col
15th February 2006, 06:41 PM
So's Alan, he just made all that up. Sounded good though! ;)

Fontal
15th February 2006, 06:52 PM
Done and ordered cheers guys for your help

Gismo
15th February 2006, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal
Done and ordered cheers guys for your help

WHAT :eek: no wait, Big Col's right :evil::p