PDA

View Full Version : Internet techy advice required.

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2006, 02:31 AM
I have Norton Anti Virus - with up to date subscriptions. I also have Zone Alarm Pro with up to date subscriptions. Some mornings and nights when I go to use the PC I have a message telling me that "True Vector Monitoring" has been shut down. I never leave Outlook Express open when my PC is unattended. Am I right in saying True Vector Monitoring is Zone Alarm sitting in the background watching my ports? If so, WTF is shutting it down. NAV does a full system scan every night and doesn't report any nasties. But I get the usual amount of nasties in email, which are removed automatically by NAV.

Any idea what could be shutting down True Vector Monitoring, and should I be worried about this?

sh@z
15th February 2006, 04:16 AM
Don't you have the netgear router??? That has a hardware firewall built in... better than any software firewall money can buy ;) Just make sure its enabled.

As for your Zone Alarm issue, im not sure tbh not used Zone Alarm for a long time.

Craig
15th February 2006, 05:02 AM
Andy,

this seems to be a regular occurance for some users - see here http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/65063

I have a firewall which is freeware which I use all the time with NO problems. I would suggest using this as I have trawled the internet and all I can find is people who have this problem, can't get round it even with patches.

I'll send you the software ;)

Craig

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2006, 08:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Andy,

this seems to be a regular occurance for some users - see here http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/65063

I have a firewall which is freeware which I use all the time with NO problems. I would suggest using this as I have trawled the internet and all I can find is people who have this problem, can't get round it even with patches.

I'll send you the software ;)

Craig

quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Don't you have the netgear router??? That has a hardware firewall built in... better than any software firewall money can buy ;) Just make sure its enabled.

As for your Zone Alarm issue, im not sure tbh not used Zone Alarm for a long time.

Cheers you two!

Looks like it's a Zonealarm/Hardware Firewall conflict of some sort. Now I think about it, it only started when I installed the Netgear.

Sh@z, I logged into my router and it had a list of sites to go to, to test my PC. Taking into account your comment that the firewall in the router is supposed to be very good, I shut Zonealarm down and tried to blast my PC using the suggested sites. Nothing - an I mean absolutely NOTHING could get through. Clean bill of health. At least now I know I don't need to renew my Zone Alarm subscription.

Thanks again.

Andy.

sh@z
15th February 2006, 08:49 AM
Indeed, a hardware firewall will get everything, plus its on your router, so it gets anything before it gets routed to your pc... so its all good. Ive had a router for over 2 years now, and not had a firewall running in that time, always keep anti-virus though.

euan
15th February 2006, 05:51 PM
Yup, AV always is running on my stuff - however I do run a hardware and a software firewall, just in case ;) I use Zone Alarms freebie software one.

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2006, 06:18 PM
I have to admit. I've switched ZoneAlarm back on. Just in case. Howeve, I'll probably not re-subscribe to Pro. just drop back to the free one or use the one Craig reccomends.

I also never, ever shut down NAV.