PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen

Craig
14th February 2006, 06:33 AM
Just a wee question for those folks with classic's (especially Duncan S as I know you've probably recently done this)

My wee boy Dougal is soon to get his nose touched up :), but the windscreen may have to come out to get the job done right. Is this a hard job and if so what is the best way to go about it.

All (sensible) info on the subject greatly appreciated..

thanks

Craig:D

broken_brian
14th February 2006, 11:19 AM
Right as i have done this a few times now the easy way to do it is to take the chrome trim out of the seal. Place a sheet, sleeping bag, duvet or all of the above on the bonnet, it is also handy to get a few friends to help with the next bit but it can be done on your own. Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly. The screen should push out from the top of the seal first this is where said friends help out by then helping to ease the screen out the rest of the way and placing it on to the padding on the bonnet. I know that it might sound a very iffy way to do it but it does work as i have done it on both my minis and did not break the screen, it's when i put them back in that i break them.

Craig
14th February 2006, 04:27 PM
see brian, it's the breaking of the screen on the way back in that I'm afraid of.... :disapprove::disapprove:

bpirie1000
14th February 2006, 05:51 PM
That is indeed teh best method to take tehm out. Even auto glass use that.....

I found that putting in the screen is the head ache... Especially if you have fitted a new scuttle. mmmmmm Night mare. Make sure the hole is the right size first. DOH!!!!!!!( ADMITTION THERE)

Think best to get a pro to fit it..

good luck and let us know how you go..

Burple
14th February 2006, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

...Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly....

lol....
Sorry.. but all I can do is picture Craig trying to get into position inside Dougal to do that! :D:D It's easy for you Bri, wot with being a skinny wee bugger :D I'd have the opposite problem.. I dunno if I could reach the windscreen with me feet! :D:D

But you're right enough, it's the easiest way! You might wanna get your mitts on one of those windscreen removal tools too (cheap from places like Autosave), for help with taking out and replacing the seals..

Craig
14th February 2006, 08:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

...Now comes the fun part, get into the car put both feet against the TOP of the windscreen and push very gently you will feel the seal felxing so try not to worry too much or sneeze.(this is a very nerve wraking moment), Try to position your feet so that you are spreading the force evenly....

lol....
Sorry.. but all I can do is picture Craig trying to get into position inside Dougal to do that! :D:D It's easy for you Bri, wot with being a skinny wee bugger :D I'd have the opposite problem.. I dunno if I could reach the windscreen with me feet! :D:D

But you're right enough, it's the easiest way! You might wanna get your mitts on one of those windscreen removal tools too (cheap from places like Autosave), for help with taking out and replacing the seals..

that's why it will not be me pushing the screen out!! I have enough trouble getting into the motor, without trying to get out of it through the windscreen!! :D:D:D:D

bpirie1000
14th February 2006, 08:53 PM
what job you getting done to It??

corner scuttle??

usual place.

or a full length scutle..

or what??

Craig
14th February 2006, 10:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

what job you getting done to It??

corner scuttle??

usual place.

or a full length scutle..

or what??

I have some surface rust at the bottom of the windscreen on the scuttle panel and also in the usual places (under the headlights and down onto the panel below)...

It all looks surface, BUT I'll not know until the guy doing the job starts rubbing it down...:disapprove:

Duncan Stewart
14th February 2006, 10:49 PM
Definitely take the windscreen out - this rust is caused by water getting between the layers of metal under the seal - I tried just fixing it where visible but it just comes back worse.
Taking the windscreen out is fairly simple. As Brian says take out the chrome seal and push it out (I use my hands rather than feet!) - it feels a bit scary :eek: but I've not broken one yet. I tried to fit my new windscreen myself after a full scuttle replacement a couple of years back but could not get it to sit right so took it to the professionals who fitted it in no bother - make sure they use loads of sealer to avoid it rusting again!
As to what you will find when you take it out I will spare you my horror stories ;)
enought to say there are 3 layers of metal that join there - scuttle, bulkhead and dash top rail - lots of crunchy fun :D
Once fixed squirt lots of rust proofer(like waxoyl)up into the area from inside the engine bay to prevent future rust.
Let us know how you get on.

Craig
15th February 2006, 12:03 AM
will do duncan - thanks for the info :D

broken_brian
15th February 2006, 08:22 AM
i can show you a pic of what looked like surface rust on the scuttle panel if you want. Just don't poke at your one with a screwdriver is all i have to say. Needless to say i am going to go for the full scuttle and dash top rail repair with some plating to the bulkhead.:( along with a full front end and 1/4 boot floor section as well, and thats just to start with

Craig
15th February 2006, 04:40 PM

i can show you a pic of what looked like surface rust on the scuttle panel if you want. Just don't poke at your one with a screwdriver is all i have to say. Needless to say i am going to go for the full scuttle and dash top rail repair with some plating to the bulkhead.:( along with a full front end and 1/4 boot floor section as well, and thats just to start with

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

just hoping wee dougal hasn't got any BIG surprises...:D

Burple
15th February 2006, 06:52 PM
quote:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

just hoping wee dougal hasn't got any BIG surprises...:D

Lol.. and that's just a wee job ;):p:D

My first Mini I had to replace the whole front floor, including the bottom of the door frame, A-panels and sills... and one of the metal bands round the rear Rubber Suspension cone had snapped... that's a fun one to replace when everything is rusted solid!

(Oh yeah.. the car only cost me £160! :p;))
Wish I could have that wee Clubby back to play with now! :(:D:D

Duncan Stewart
16th February 2006, 02:06 AM

Needless to say i am going to go for the full scuttle and dash top rail repair with some plating to the bulkhead.:( along with a full front end and 1/4 boot floor section as well, and thats just to start with

Sounds familiar :evil: :eek: :D
I just love my angle grider and MIG welder :p

Craig
19th February 2006, 10:49 PM
well, the paint guy has now seen the car and it's booked in for the sat after the mini meet at cumbernauld (beginning of March) :D:D:D:D:D

the only issue he has is putting the windscreen back in (he says they are not too bad to put back in), therefore I am looking for a volunteer to help put my windscreen back in when the job is done.

I will cover you expenses (petrol, food and drink etc ;)) and I will take full responsibility if the screen should crack or break. I just need your expertise for the refitting.

Volunteers? ?:D:D

Thanks

C

N12 JLK
22nd February 2006, 05:32 AM
Dam know nothing about putting it back in but could do with the food and drink;)

N12 JLK
22nd February 2006, 05:38 AM
Are you bringing Dougal along to Mini Meets 3 as Lesley would like to see the car in the flesh!:) A wee outing for him before the big op

broken_brian
22nd February 2006, 08:08 AM
I can give you a hand puting the screen back in if you want, it is easy it just takes a bit of time to do it thats all. The hard bit i getting the chrome strip in if you do not have the proper tool for doing it.

Ps: I did not break the screen on both of my minis when i put it back in that happened with my first car many years ago...:D

Craig
22nd February 2006, 07:18 PM

I can give you a hand puting the screen back in if you want, it is easy it just takes a bit of time to do it thats all. The hard bit i getting the chrome strip in if you do not have the proper tool for doing it.

Ps: I did not break the screen on both of my minis when i put it back in that happened with my first car many years ago...:D

thanks Brian - really appreciate it.... the windscreen will be going back in about the 2nd week in March for your info - but I'll be in touch nearer the time..

thanks again! :D:D:D

PS - has anybody got the "proper tool" as Brian describes ? ?(no smutty answers thank you very much.;))

Craig
22nd February 2006, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Are you bringing Dougal along to Mini Meets 3 as Lesley would like to see the car in the flesh!:) A wee outing for him before the big op

He might get a wee outing...... ;):D:approve:

Duncan Stewart
24th February 2006, 01:45 AM
I've got the tool but didn't find it very easy to use.
I will look it out and post it you if you like (if I can find it!)

Craig
24th February 2006, 02:06 AM
Thanks Duncan - I take it you didn't use it then ?? Did you just use a bit of "gentle persuasion" ? ?

To be honest, as long as it goes back in and doesn't leak, that is the main thing...:D:D

Duncan Stewart
25th February 2006, 05:35 AM
I will look it out this weekend.
Managed to get the windscreen in ourselves but it was not sitting just right. Used the tool and managed to get some of the chrome strip in but not all.
Decided it was best left to the professionals so took it to national windscreens who were great - fitted a new one while I waited. I had decided just to get a new one as the old one was a bit pitted - only cost about £60

Craig
25th February 2006, 07:25 AM
sounds like the very thing for me - just need to sell a bit more furniture from the house......;)

anybody need some lamp tables and a coffee table ? ? ?

Craig
1st March 2006, 01:08 AM
Duncan - got that wee tool in the post, thanks very much... :D

Checked out the price for someone to fit it - anywhere from £50 plus vat to £76 plus vat !!!!!!

think i will just get broken_brian to help me out putting it back in :D

Craig
15th March 2006, 08:24 PM
Brian - the windscreen should be going back in next week.... PM me your details and I'll give you a bell nearer the time if you are still OK to help me put it back in... ;)

Craig
27th March 2006, 05:37 AM
WELL........... what a day today has been....

went over the the paint guy to get wee Dougal back and we took the masking tape off and started to put the windscreen back in.... 2 and half hours later :eek: the windscreen was back in and we all had sore thumbs...;)

Then the guy says " it has a flat battery and will need jump leads" so I thought, here we go again.... tried it and the wee boy started first time :D

went to put him into gear and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor - BUGGER! tried it again and it was solid, couldn't move the pedal an inch!!

Phone Mr Duncan Stewart who gave me some sound advice, went home, picked up my tools and trusty Haynes manual and fixed it in 2 mins...

Car is now home with some of the parts back on (enough to get him through his MOT tommorrow hopefully ;))

thanks to all for their advice - fingers crossed the MOT goes OK.... Progress report tommorrow (pictures only once he's finished).
:D

Crombers
27th March 2006, 04:46 PM
Well done sir :approve:

The joys of classic ownership eh :p;)

Duncan Stewart
30th March 2006, 01:59 AM
Hope your new paintwork is nice :D

Craig
30th March 2006, 02:07 AM
yes, pleased with it, but not had the weather etc to fully appreciate it yet... Also the car doesn't look right without all the stripes etc back on (hopefully get that done on sunday).

Car is still in the garage as the seals for the gearbox linkage has still not come in:(:(... Hopefully get him back on Sat.

:D:D:D

Forgot to say Duncan - will bring the "wee tool" to the run on the 9th for you.... ;)

Burple
30th March 2006, 08:14 AM
quote:

Forgot to say Duncan - will bring the "wee tool" to the run on the 9th for you.... ;)

Oi! I might drive myself there! :p:blackeye:;):D

..Just to get that in first! :p:p