PDA

View Full Version : Old mini , suggestions???

T6 KFR
13th February 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I have been wanting an older mini for a long time. Well now the wife needs a car, I was wanting to buy her one.

Anyone any suggestions?? I would like to spend approx 1k on it...I would be modifying it of course. As long as it was solid and reliable!

Let me know

Craig
13th February 2006, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Hi,

I have been wanting an older mini for a long time. Well now the wife needs a car, I was wanting to buy her one.

Anyone any suggestions?? I would like to spend approx 1k on it...I would be modifying it of course. As long as it was solid and reliable!

Let me know

Advice?

well, go for the best you can for the money. Don't look at the flash ones (cos a lot have been bodged.) look for cars with very little rust if none at all.

I would suggest that going as far down south (and I do mean englandshire) will give you the best chance of a non rotted car..

I got mine in Bournemouth, which was an epic trip, but the car is solid apart from a couple of surface bits on the front...

Best of Luck! :D:D

Crombers
13th February 2006, 10:19 PM
Having seen Craig's car (an absolute beauty) I can only agree with his advice :approve:

bpirie1000
14th February 2006, 01:18 AM
I know of a red one that will be for sale it has had Major work over the last year.

goes alittle like this off the top of my head.
Mini Cooper Spi K'Plate 56k Miles.
New Rear Sub Frame
Suspension KYB Excells G Shocks
New Wheel Bearings
New Alternator
Alternator Belt (will be replaced before sale)
New Front Wings
New Front End
Spot Lamps
New Carpets in red.
New Dash
Cd Player and Speaker
Halogen Lights
x2 Spot Lights.
New leads and Plugs
New Wood And Picket Arches Body Coloured
New at time of purchase 12inch deeper than normal dished mini lights. with 2 yokos and 2 dunlops.

Had fairly recent spray job and is red and white.

They are looking for £3,000 I know it is over your price but all mods are done...

has 7 months test and 1 months tax I think........
let me know if your interested. P.M. Me.

I'll have a look at cheaper cars if your interested.

Bazthemod
14th February 2006, 03:03 AM
the big thing to think about is just how much money you spend on the car after you have it, without even realising it.

I know with Alfie, i bought him for £1400 but with all the mods and respray i have spent much closer to £2500

So give more expensive minis a thought, as you will spend the extra money on a mini with less mods in the end...

Jus my tuppence worth, i still love my wee alfie even if he does burn holes in my pockets!!! :evil::D:cool:

Smurf
14th February 2006, 05:23 PM
We got Orville in Englandshire too - Southampton! The classified ads in mags like Mini World are good for trawling through, but you should know the pitfalls to look for with regard to cars being "tarted up" to look good, but being a bit rotten in all the usual places underneath.

Check out some classic Mini club forums too, most of them have a "for sale" section, and you may come across a bargain.

Happy hunting! :D

Duncan Stewart
14th February 2006, 10:39 PM
Great idea getting a classic mini :D
I would look for a rust free as possible, original as possible car to start with then fix it up as time & money allows.
A late 80's to 91 city might be a good place to start, the 998cc engine and basic trim make them less popular but often less messed about with.
A 93/94 Sprite/Mayfair/Rio are good to get as they are 1275cc carb engines and comfy metro type seat interiors but you will struggle to find a decent one for 1K
Best of luck in your search

T6 KFR
15th February 2006, 09:43 PM
thanks all for your input.

Im in a 50 / 50 mind at the moment...more so just because I dont have a garage to store a "classic model" . I would hate to find a nice older mini to see it sit out in the street till i buy a house(which will be soon).

I will keep an eye out

bpirie1000
15th February 2006, 11:19 PM
you can hire lock ups from the council Heaps of folk in the aberdeen mini owners have them Think there like £25 a month.. That is wehre you'll find all the classic minis in aberdeen all sleeping in garages.

Shame.

davesminis
16th February 2006, 08:39 AM
buy garage first!!

My babies are sitting outside under the special covers you get.
The covers are ok until it has been through a few high winds and are now fit for the bin.
Once ready to buy mini - go with what Duncan said!