PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for my Cooper S ? Help

The Bull
11th February 2006, 05:53 AM
I know this doesn't look like a Mini thread but technically is as I'm needing a replacement for mine. My 3 year lease is up in a few months and unfortunately the replacement isn't going to be a Mini. Not because there has been any problem with it, quite the opposite, it's been amazing. Nope, the arrival of the bairn has changed the priorities. A problem I'm sure quite a few of you have come across yourselves.

My problem is what do I get to replace it?

My requirements are:

£15K-£20
Diesel (I do a lot of miles so it would be easier on the pennies)
Sporty (obviously
Good to look at
Plenty room (for prams/buggies etc.)

At the moment the ones that I've been thinking of have been the Seat Leon 2.0 TDI Sport, Golf 2.0 GT TDI, Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI EX/Sport and the Passat TDI Sport.

Any pearls of wisdom for me?

I'm fancying the versions with the DSG gearboxes, anyone used them or had any experience of them?

I'd appreciate any help. ;)

N12 JLK
11th February 2006, 06:11 AM
Weve had a 2 Minis now since our son was one and found it to have lots of room for things, see mr Broon as you can buy a buggy from BMW for the Mini. Come on keep the Mini or buy a new one:D

The Dogfather
11th February 2006, 07:09 AM
How about a S-Type Diesel, supposed to be the best diesel on the market :D. I know its outside the price bracket by 6k but just a thought. http://www.allbrandsnew.co.uk/motor-car-113128.htm

The Dogfather
11th February 2006, 07:12 AM
Or a Saab 9-3 150bhp!

http://www.allbrandsnew.co.uk/motor-car-113689.htm

The Dogfather
11th February 2006, 07:26 AM
If I had the money, my choice would be a XK8, Monaro, Audi A8 or a.n.other big engined motor, which I would convert to LPG. They would be as cheap to run as 2.0 litre diesel.

I was filling up the other day and this bloke came in with an BMW 540 estate, 300bhp he said, and it was doing 18mpg on gas. That works out to roughly 42mpg! He'd done 50k in 18 months and the car had covered 90k but he reckon'd it ran like new as he'd had it converted at only 20k.

The Dogfather
11th February 2006, 07:28 AM
Found this on Autotrader!

2004 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1,
440 miles, The Ford Mustang Mach 1! The most serious Mustang to have ever rolled off the Detroit production line. Forget the 05 GT, seriously forget it. This is as good as Muscle cars get. The real deal. Powered by a 4.6 litre 32 valve all aluminium V8 (05 GT 24valve) with a fully functional shaker hood coupled to a 5 speed manual gearbox. I cannot express strongly enough how rare and extremly collectable these cars are even in the States, let alone over hear. The performance is blistering, pure raw American V8 muscle power, and the sound? Probably the nicest V8 soundrack you will ever hear! This Mach 1 is as new having only covered a mere 440 miles. You will not find one even in the States with this low milage on it. An offer you WILL NOT SEE AGAIN, EVER. This was a very limited production run. Only being sold due to a dramatic change in circumstances. You will not find a single mark on this car what so ever. 100% perfect, brand new condition. Please phone me for full spec and any questions you may have on this very, very rare collectors piece. The Ford Mustang Mach 1! 440 miles. £19,995. AmericanMuscleImport!

Now that would make a worthwhile LPG conversion :)

j mac
11th February 2006, 07:30 AM
i borrowed my mates 320 diesel at crimbo, is about 2k more than u want but was well impressed. it was a coupe as well so looked pretty smart, engine sounded a bit loud in low gears but it shifted good style on the motorways and was real smooth

Gismo
11th February 2006, 05:30 PM
I don't see how the cars you've listed give you much more space for prams and buggies and kids over the Mini.
I would have thought more along the lines of a family car would be needed, like a 320 BMW, the diesels are very economic

The Dogfather
11th February 2006, 05:37 PM
Allan the boots on all the cars PH has mentioned are huge compared to the MINIs. The Passat is almost as big as my Omega.....

Gismo
11th February 2006, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
The Passat is almost as big as my Omega.....
Doh, didn't read as far as the Passat :I

Craig
11th February 2006, 07:07 PM
my dad has recently got rid of a Passat TDI Sport - the car was fantastic, returned over 50mpg if you take it easy, but went like stink if you wanted that...:D

he now has a seat alhambra (easier for my mum to get in and out of) and he is over the moon with it. Same engine as the passat and the build quality is superb. Dealer was great to deal with also (always a consideration..)

I recently drove the Honda Civic 2.2CDTI at my work and must say it was like being in the Starship Enterprise :D:D The ride was fantastic, really good in the corners, the seats were amazing and it went like a bat out of hell (6 speed box helped the acceleration..) My only gripe with it is the back window, there is no wash wipe (on the car I drove) and it has this band right across the middle of the back window, making it difficult to see out the back properly. Other than that, an awesome car ............for a diesel ;)

The Bull
12th February 2006, 04:49 AM
I agree about the Honda, exactly what I thought when I had a wee drive a few weeks ago. The rear window and the footrest were my only niggles. When you go to rest your foot your knee is quite bent and not very comfortable (compared to a mini!) It comes well kitted out though and like you said is like a spaceship inside.

Had a look at the Leon today and was well impressed. Again it comes well kitted out as standard and has that little bit of style. The quote I got back from my company to lease is ridiculously low so it might very well be this I go for.

I would love the Passat, it is a gorgeous car and has loads of everything but would cost me about 3 times as much to lease than the Leon.

Gonna miss the Mini though......:(

Maybe the Mini Traveller in a few years?

N12 JLK
12th February 2006, 07:00 PM
Weve got a Toyota Avensis and the boots huge plenty room in the back also for the young ones.

monkimagic
13th February 2006, 08:22 PM
All in all you can easily manage with a Mini, we have, just get a pram from BMW.

The Mini Carseat is very cool, you can be a cool dad with a Mini:cool:

Monki

I think the new Civic looks awful, the ugliest of ugly cars, Yuk !:p

The Dogfather
13th February 2006, 09:20 PM
I agree with Monki the new Civic is bogging

gill
14th February 2006, 04:39 AM
BUY ANOTHER MINI :evil::evil: :D:D

The Bull
14th February 2006, 07:17 AM
It's looking like the favourite is one of these.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Picklehammer/Cars/2006_Seat_Leon_800x600.jpg

Loads of nice kit, good looking car, 5 doors, ample boot, good seats and more importantly my company only want £40 a month from me to pay for it, fully maintained.

Was going to be £150 for the Passat. Dunno whether to wait a few months until the 170 bhp diesel FR version comes out.

The Dogfather
14th February 2006, 07:22 AM
Wait for the 170 :D smart car though!

The Bull
14th February 2006, 07:26 AM
Then convert it to LPG BDM? :D

The Dogfather
14th February 2006, 07:35 AM
Well actually they've started doing LPG conversions for diesels. They mix 30% LPG in with the diesel supposedly gives petrol performance from normal non turbo diesels, without the smoke as well.

I don't know what it does to a modern PD Diesel though :D dread to think ;)

The Bull
4th May 2006, 11:03 PM
Ordered the car.

Honda Civic EX 2.2 CDTi in vivid blue pearl with 18" Storm anthracite alloys, ambient blue lighting and front speaker upgrade.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Picklehammer/vbcivic.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Picklehammer/storm.png

You would think I would be excited at the thought of a new car but I'm not, not in the same way I was when I ordered the Mini. I'll be really sad to get rid of the mini but the access to the back seats is no use. :( Ah well.

sleepyrascal
4th May 2006, 11:53 PM
Im currently looking for a decent Golf GT TDI (150) or a BMW 330d (touring)

both great looing cars and both can shift!

AeroJonny
5th May 2006, 12:37 AM
I had a 320d touring for a couple of weeks and it was a cracking car, really liked it and the monstrous boot was really handy, kinda lacks on the image front for a young guy tho ewan.

The Dogfather
5th May 2006, 12:56 AM
330d would be a sensible choice, ask John :D

sleepyrascal
5th May 2006, 01:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

I had a 320d touring for a couple of weeks and it was a cracking car, really liked it and the monstrous boot was really handy, kinda lacks on the image front for a young guy tho ewan.

I love the 330d touring. I know im probably the only 23 year old on the planet who can honestly say that. Its not just the BMW... its a sports estate thing. Practicality, great looks, fullfills all my requirements and doesnt cost a fotune to keep. Its everythng i look for in a woman!:D

Moonshine
5th May 2006, 08:41 AM
i'll be buing my dads 320d SE touring this time next year....should have about 30K on the clock, silver with full black leather and wood interior, for about £14K. zthe only question is whether i should keep my mini as a second car, as it will have 100k on the clock by then and wil be worth bugger all as a second hand car..and i love the mini to drive... it is so responsibe and feels like a well used slipper every time i get into it.

Gerry

The Dogfather
5th May 2006, 04:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I love the 330d touring. I know im probably the only 23 year old on the planet who can honestly say that. :D

Yeah but John's got one, must be an old mans car ;)