PDA

View Full Version : 20's on a mini???

j mac
6th February 2006, 07:04 AM
i have been to a local wheel man in leicester and he has a mate who put 20's on his mcs that he supplied at the cost of 2.3k... is this possible or are they just 19's and he is blagging?? what do u think?

j

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/fontelroy/20i.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/fontelroy/2012.jpg

Smitty
6th February 2006, 07:10 AM
BLING:D:D:D

I like it, a lot! But a bit impratical, and i reckon it would fairly ruin the handling.

But still......CHECK THOSES SHINNY WHEELS:p:p

sh@z
6th February 2006, 07:18 AM
The dont look like 20's, i reckon 19's.... 20's could go under the arches or be much much closer than that

sleepyrascal
6th February 2006, 08:57 AM
They look like 18s or maybe 19s. Pretty sure they aint 20s!!!!

Mind you, its hard to tell. Why the hell would you want 20s?????

sh@z
6th February 2006, 09:12 AM
for the bling sleepy, THE BLING!!!

I'm getting 22" Chrome Spinners on my rx8!!!!! lol

Mark R
6th February 2006, 09:22 AM
Looks like the tires have less depth so maybe that's how they managed to get the extra inch in.

Wul
6th February 2006, 05:13 PM
Dunno about being 20's but the discs sure do look ickle!!:clown:

KINGHORN
6th February 2006, 06:16 PM
it could easy be 20s i looked into it just for the bling factor, and its an easy enough feet just finding 7 1/2 inch wide 20s is the problem

Burple
6th February 2006, 07:55 PM
Crikey.. they actually look like they *could* be 20s! :eek::eek:

Our own KJ's got a set of 19s on, and these ones actually do look bigger - tire profile looks smaller! :eek::eek::eek:

Bling factor , yeah... but can you imagine what the ride would be like?? :dead::dead::dead::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::e ek:

...and £2.3k????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::blackeye: :blackeye:

j mac
7th February 2006, 06:05 AM
i think this size would kill the ride... and the price too!, i like the 5 spoke but if i get them from this guy i'll go for 18's tops and will need to convince myself of the bling factor??

still look pretty good though.

Loui
7th February 2006, 09:32 PM
They look big with out seeing the tyre sizes they could be 19`s though, TBH with me i prefer a timeless wheel as if you put something like that on its gonna date like TSW Venoms did if you know what i mean. Ive had my breytoms 2 an half years an people still comment on them, the new wheels ive got coming are another classic but this time from BBS :D

j mac
8th February 2006, 01:35 AM
its a thought about the timeless bit... i do like the BBS they look excellent on the mini's. I actually went into look at the old azev kings ( now called radtyp A i think )as i have always liked the look and style of them but think they could be a bit too max power nowadays ( they were 6 yrs ago!)..... so dunno yet.

N12 JLK
8th February 2006, 04:03 AM
Look cool but they probably rub like mad!!!!

The Dogfather
8th February 2006, 04:28 AM
Sorry but that's one sure way of knackering your cars handling....... and ride!

His mate must be more into cruising rather than actually driving :(

minimadtez
8th February 2006, 04:29 AM
I think they look pretty out of place....dont suit that mini at all. 18s are big enough for me! 20s are overkill, if they are 20s.
Take a tape measure with you next time.....i want to know now.lol

j mac
8th February 2006, 05:30 AM
do me a favour tez and send me or put a pic of your hartge alloys on so i can take a look

cheers j

minimadtez
5th April 2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500/april06.jpg

there you go......sorry it took so long. thats the only picture i have of Bumble with those wheels on! i keep meaning to take better ones.

minidriver#1
7th April 2006, 12:47 AM
those are too small :P

Burple
7th April 2006, 12:52 AM
KJ likes 'em Big ;);):p:p:eek:

minidriver#1
7th April 2006, 01:00 AM
you're damn right, wait till you see em when i get them refurbed. sexy.

ELFMAN
7th April 2006, 06:14 PM
I totally agree with Vidal - bet that doesn't do the ride/handling any favours.

Lot of money to turn a great motor into a Tonka Toy. Bet he'll feel daft when a standard Cooper skelps his a*se on a lumpy back road - which he'd bounce off! But poseur cars like this probably never get near a back road anyway do they? More like the King's Road. And don't the standard discs just look daft now?

18's are as big as you'd ever need on a MINI - and that's more for aesthetics than anything else, though I admit they do look nice. 'EVO' magazine ran JCW 18's on their long-term JCW 'S' and they found the handling/ride compromised with the 'Sports Plus' suspension - it was improved with JCW Suspension. I'll stick to my 16's and watch the 'Tonka Brigade' bouncing around in my rear view mirror. Keep it real, folks!

minimadtez
7th April 2006, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

those are too small :P

I dont consider 18"s to be too small! anything bigger on a MINI is just being silly......my wheels scrape enough.

Crombers
7th April 2006, 08:48 PM
17's look best on a MINI IMHO & agree with Elfman that 16's give the best handling (especially his with the best soundtrack I,ve ever heard :approve:).

lightbody
7th April 2006, 09:18 PM
I think that 16s look best and 15s give the best handling... having driven 10,000s of miles on each. :)

Crombers
7th April 2006, 10:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I think that 16s look best and 15s give the best handling... having driven 10,000s of miles on each. :)

Come to think about it 15's must give the best handling as that's what's on John's race car & all the other MINI's in the John Cooper Challenge Series.

N12 JLK
7th April 2006, 11:24 PM
Naa ma 17" bullets look the best;)

ELFMAN
7th April 2006, 11:35 PM
My old Classic Mini did a damn fine job with 10 inches. Oo-er missus. I also ran a 170bhp 106 GTI on 15's & YOKO A539's for 4 years which worked a treat. Size isn't everything - it's all about BALANCE.

Because most 'concept/motorshow' vehicles which make it into production these days are designed from the outset with massive alloys, manufacturers then feel obliged to fit wheels which complement the design, but not necessarily normal (ie crap) road conditions, as fitting 'sensible' sized wheels doesn't suit the 'Look'. I mean it wasn't that long ago that 16" wheels were thought of as 'Big'. Am I right in thinking the McLaren F1 is on 17's? If so, I rest my case.

Are the COOPER Challenge cars on 15's because that was the standard fitment on the production car?

I'd go with 16's with, say, JCW or another good (ie not too low, not too stiff) Suspension for the best Handling/Grip/ride compromise if you're sticking with runflats - but I would, wouldn't I? Non-Runflats? I'd think that 17's with a good Yokohama would be a good bet, but I haven't tried it...yet.

euan
8th April 2006, 12:07 AM
The first F1's ran on 17's, the F1 LM ran on bigger (18s) I think. Albeit something daft - 235 on the front (bigger than my rears!) and over 300 on the back!!!!

Duncan Stewart
10th April 2006, 09:34 PM
I found my 16s gave the best grip, but the 15s the best all round handling, I love that drift :eek: :p.
When I got my first new Mini all my friends commented on how big the wheels were (they were 15s!). They do look a bit narrow from the rear view.
The best looking wheels I've seen on a new mini are Elfman's minilites :approve:

minidriver#1
11th April 2006, 06:05 PM
I miss my 16s sometimes because i hate having to clean my wheels but other than that i'm happy with the gasps and oohs i get with the mini in its current form. I've kept my 16s though because i will eventually want to put them back on when the time comes.

I guess a lot of it also comes down to the tires that you use and the amount of grip and feedback you can expect from the roads.

The 16s look big on a mini because they are chunky in appearance. I've thought the same about the Saxo wheels on the VTrs and VTs'

Crombers
11th April 2006, 08:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Yer ar$e :p;)

Burple
11th April 2006, 10:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Yer ar$e :p;)

Aye... his ...er... Yer ar$e :p