View Full Version : Broadband

Big Col
1st February 2006, 10:35 PM
Any advice on who to use folks?

Burple
1st February 2006, 10:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Any advice on who to use folks?

I'm with Telewest, got their 3 for £30 package (512 BB, Phone line and Cable tv package)

Been with them 6 months, just recently got the BB upgraded by them FOC to 2Meg :D:D. Well impressed, dowloand speeds are ace.

Oh yeah, and no download limits.:D:D:D

DON'T go with Wanadoo. service with them was awful with dialup when I had it.

check them out (http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=8580) the base rate BB is now up to 2 Meg :D:D

Craig
1st February 2006, 10:47 PM
If you can get cable Col, I would go with Telewest as per LnL...:D:D

however if like me, there is no cable in your area I have been with Tiscali for 6 years and have not had any problems with them... Also if you want to share your connection for wireless etc, it is a doddle, unlike AOL or some other ISP's.........:D

Gismo
1st February 2006, 10:50 PM
I've been with BT for ever, they have a free help desk if you need it, which i think maybe twice in over 5 years, it's not the cheapest, but, they are the national telecommunications network
They have download limits, so depends on what you're gonna be doin
What is your main useage gonna be :question:

Wul
1st February 2006, 11:23 PM
Telewest for me too - depends what suppliers serve your postcode area - i'm sure there is a website which will tell you all this!

MartinSullivan
1st February 2006, 11:26 PM
Scottish Broadband Suppliers (http://www.scottish-broadband.co.uk/available.asp)

Big Col
1st February 2006, 11:41 PM
See ol' MS don't post much when he's overseas but when he does it's a belter. :D

It's more going to be the better half that'll be using it for her uniwork so I'd rather avoid download limits if possible.

Telewest tell me to get tae since they don't have anything in my area.

Big Col
1st February 2006, 11:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about bulldog?

Gismo
1st February 2006, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know anything about bulldog?

Brown, squarish, leg in each corner, tail and drools a lot, just like yersel

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 12:05 AM
<sighs> Shoulda seen that one coming!

Craig
2nd February 2006, 12:17 AM
it's basically Cable and Wireless Broadband product. Need to have your line with them, rather than BT. Don't know anyone that has it though....:D

euan
2nd February 2006, 12:48 AM
I have heard some BAD stories about Bulldog.

check out www.ispreview.co.uk for details on all the ISP in the UK.

GAJ
2nd February 2006, 12:54 AM
I've been with Pipex for years without any hassle but they are not the cheapest. I pre-registered with https://www.bethere.co.uk/ a while back (guaranteed £20 as an early adopter) and they should be starting the roll out in my area in March. I'm only just over 1km from my exchange so should get a good speed. They rolled out in London last autums and got mixed reviews so I may hang fire a bit. Bulldog have been having a lot of customer service complaints too, happens a lot when companies take on a lot of new customers at once. Have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for impartial advice.

euan
2nd February 2006, 01:01 AM
As an aside, I'm with BT, but mainly as my work is paying for it and that's who they use - works fine for me, doesn't drop off, decent speeds.

Burple
2nd February 2006, 01:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I'm only just over 1km from my exchange so should get a good speed.

Have to admit I'm the same with Telewest... less than 1km from their main base in Dundee with all the Satellite uplink gear. SO the speed BETTER be good! :D

S' rubbish that they can't get to you tho big yin.. Can't you just stand up straight and tall to get a better reception?? :p:p:p:D

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2006, 01:16 AM
I use pipex like Gaj and love it - its not the cheapest but its always been stable.

I have heard bad things about bulldog - they have been on watchdog a few times, my mate is with them and some days he loves them and some days he hates them lol.

monkimagic
2nd February 2006, 02:12 AM
great resource http://www.net4now.com/

I use eclipse internet, 2.2Mb , no contract,no limits,£19.95 been with them for 3 years and never have had 1 problem.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

weefossy
2nd February 2006, 05:33 AM
I've always been with BT, running 2 home computers and work laptop, never a problem with the service / speed

sh@z
2nd February 2006, 06:14 AM
Blueyonder all the way, never a problem in over 3-4 years, im on their 10mbit service now.... soooo fast!

Sheilz
2nd February 2006, 07:21 AM
Demon for me. Scottish, reasonably priced and we've had a home network running for over two years without probs. Downloads speed is good, no limits and very helpful people at the other end of the phone when we'd a couple of teething probs when changing from adsl to wireless.:)

macblob
2nd February 2006, 07:45 AM
blueyonder for me too started on unlimited dial up, then 512k broadband.
Been upgraded over the years and am now on 4mb bb with no dload limits :)

sleepyrascal
2nd February 2006, 08:22 AM
Im with BT. 2.2meg connection, includes webspace, domain name, 10 email addresses etc etc.

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 04:18 PM
Hmmm. BT are offering a free wireless modem and 20GB download limit for £25 a month. I wonder if 20GB is enough. Is that a good deal?

Demon seem quite good too.

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 04:20 PM
Your net4now link isnae workin' Monki. :(

My Big Bruv has pipex and he's happy with it but it is quite expensive he was saying. It doesn't seem any more expensive than BT though. Looks like Bulldog is one to avoid though.

euan
2nd February 2006, 05:41 PM
Hmmm. BT are offering a free wireless modem and 20GB download limit for £25 a month. I wonder if 20GB is enough. Is that a good deal?

Demon seem quite good too.

Depends how much "special interest" videos you'll be downloading :)

Do you need a wireless modem? If you have one PC sitting in the same place, there is no point having wireless.

Craig
2nd February 2006, 06:16 PM
tiscali is £17.99 per month for 2MB with no download limits...:D:D

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 06:22 PM
I want wireless 'cos I only have a laptop mate and would like to be able to use it wherever. :)

£17.99 for 2MB and no download limits? What's the catch?

monkimagic
2nd February 2006, 07:33 PM
Your net4now link isnae workin' Monki. :(

It is too

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 07:34 PM
Is not!

euan
2nd February 2006, 07:46 PM
I can't get it to work either...

Firefox throws a large wobbly and IE just doesn't do anything.

Gismo
2nd February 2006, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
Works fine for me in IE :)

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah the link worked fine for me too under IE

Craig
2nd February 2006, 08:44 PM
I want wireless 'cos I only have a laptop mate and would like to be able to use it wherever. :)

£17.99 for 2MB and no download limits? What's the catch?

there is no catch Col, I've had it for a couple of years now... ;)

Gismo
2nd February 2006, 10:04 PM
BT are doing a from £14.99 a month for 3 month deal just now

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 11:27 PM
I was trying to order it from BT and they say I have to wait 5 days after the lines connected! <sighs>

Burple
3rd February 2006, 12:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I can't get it to work either...

It works fine for me in Firefox 1.5 :p:p:D:D

macblob
3rd February 2006, 01:42 AM
link is fine in camino too :D

euan
3rd February 2006, 03:00 AM
What on earth is Camino? Sounds like an alien from Star Trek....

macblob
3rd February 2006, 06:31 AM
mozilla web browser (same people that make firefox), for mac osx

The Bull
4th February 2006, 12:11 PM
Freedom to Surf have been my ISP for ages now and I can't fault them. Service never seems to dip ever.

www.f2s.com