PDA

View Full Version : Too much

Steph
1st February 2006, 09:14 AM
Why is life with a car full of unwelcome surprises?
Just had the car in garage last week, after taking it in to get a squeaky noise checked out. Turns out I needed new suspension strut\coils (slightly hazy whether one or tother or both) for front left and right, plus new track rod end (whatever that is). Only done 19,000 miles, however bought extended warranty so its paid for itself (scant comfort - warranty cost still on my credit card!).
Now that suspension is fixed I realise that my feelings that the car didn't seem quite as stable as it used to wasn't just my imagination or a weird bit of road.
So, thought I was out of the woods. However, car went back in for its second service (after 4 years). Aaargh! Needs new brake pads and discs at front (estimate £207). And front tyres tread at 2mm, which having a quick look at tyres prices range from ~170 (online) to ~260 (kwik-fit) for a pair of GoodYear 195/55/16 eagle runflats.
I'm depressed.

The Dogfather
1st February 2006, 05:05 PM
Steph, what new pads and discs at only 19k surely not:question: I'd get it checked out by someone else!

With regards to the tyres a full set on non-run flats will cost about £70 a tyre, all you need to carry is a tin of tyre repair gunk. Ride quality will improve a lot as well. Just a thought!

Smurf
1st February 2006, 05:26 PM
My 16" runflats are approx £80 each - Dunlops - and IMHO are better than the Goodyears. Shop around! And I would be querying the new brake discs too.

indigomatt
1st February 2006, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

My 16" runflats are approx £80 each - Dunlops - and IMHO are better than the Goodyears.

Where from n' the fitting price & are these the same as the ones the car comes with when new :question:

I'm needing a couple of new ones soon, as ma trackings out...also been trying to hard too keep up wi a crazy black subaru :D

Ta, M.

KenL
1st February 2006, 05:34 PM
Defo have someone independent check the discs.

Work mate's wife took her 206CC in for first service at ~20k miles. A certain dealer wanted to change rear pads + discs (worn & pitted they said). Mate, who has decent car knowledge, agreed pads would need changing in a few k miles. Discs though were pretty much perfect, usual rim of rust that could be knocked off but disk surfaces perfect :disapprove:

choc
1st February 2006, 05:38 PM
with regard 2 your runflats i have a cracking set of 16inch alloys with perfect tyres you could buy for 220 for the lot, means u could use the tyres and sell the alloys for at least 100 cheers choc

KINGHORN
1st February 2006, 06:10 PM
i needed new disks and pads all round at 20k

choc
1st February 2006, 06:22 PM
ats because u drive flat oot a the time kinghorn!

The Dogfather
1st February 2006, 07:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by KINGHORN

i needed new disks and pads all round at 20k

Last time you posted about you're poor fuel consumption, I think I solved your problem. Your feet are too big, or at least your shoes are:D

Your foot must be pressing the brakes and the accelerator at the same time:p:D:clown:

Smurf
1st February 2006, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by indigomatt

My 16" runflats are approx £80 each - Dunlops - and IMHO are better than the Goodyears.

Where from n' the fitting price & are these the same as the ones the car comes with when new :question:

I'm needing a couple of new ones soon, as ma trackings out...also been trying to hard too keep up wi a crazy black subaru :D

Ta, M.

From Menzies Mini in Stirling, that included VAT and fitting, and yes, that's what my car came with new.
If your car has done more than 12k miles, tracking's not covered by TLC or warranty, and a dealer will charge you a fortune to fix it (happened with my last Mini) so be careful.

And leave that crazy black Subaru alone! He'll only lead you astray! :D:D

Duncan Stewart
1st February 2006, 10:48 PM
The warranty should cover new discs and pads at this mileage as discs must be faulty / poorly made. I got front discs & pads under warranty on a Toyota (at 20K miles), and rear disks & pads under warranty on my last Mini (at 30K miles) . Its only if the pads alone have worn out that it is wear and tear that you should have to pay for. but maybe your extended warranty is cover this due to the cars age

indigomatt
1st February 2006, 11:30 PM

Ta, M.

From Menzies Mini in Stirling, that included VAT and fitting, and yes, that's what my car came with new.
If your car has done more than 12k miles, tracking's not covered by TLC or warranty, and a dealer will charge you a fortune to fix it (happened with my last Mini) so be careful.

And leave that crazy black Subaru alone! He'll only lead you astray! :D:D

Thanks :) will ring this week... Also how much is a fortune, more/less than £100 :question:

M

Steph
2nd February 2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
Checked my warranty - it lists the things not covered, starts with 'Brake and clutch facings, discs and drums...'
They got me to get new discs and pads on the rear in Sept 2004 as well. As my previous car (not a mini) also got the thumbs down on discs due to rust, I figured it was the way I didn't use my brakes firmly enough to keep them rust free, so didn't challenge.
I'll see if I can get another opinion - they looked shiny enough to me in my garage!
As to tyres, I'm too chicken to move away from runflats. They make me feel more secure that I won't have to stop and get out the car if I get a puncture. Also, the firm ride doesn't bother me (can't remember anything else!)
Now I've told loads of people my woes, I feel more prepared to shop around for new tyres! One friend told me about blackcircles.com - you order online and the tyres get delivered to a fitting centre in your area. I had a look at mytyres.com as well, they have a rather unique way of describing the products!

thanks guys!

PS to the offer of a new set of wheels - ta, but I like what I have on.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2006, 09:18 AM
But Steph, it stands to reason that if you're light on your feet and there's a subsequent build up of rust on the discs, they shouldn't be worn down by 19,000 miles. I'd still question this with your dealer. (Some) MINI dealer's won't try to put a warranty claim to BMW unless you push them to do it. The drive belt on our Cooper S was squeaking so I spoke to the service manager at my supplying dealer and he said there's no way MINI would cover it. The car had only done 7,500 miles. So I huffed and puffed and politely reasoned with him. He called someone (maybe at MINI, I don't know) while I was stood in front of him and he was told if the belt was faulty MINI would replace it with no questions asked. The point of the story is that if, when he told me it wouldn't be covered, I had just sulked and agreed to pay for a new one and not fight for a warranty claim, he would have been happy to go ahead and charge me.

You gotta fight for your rights. They aren't offered on a plate.

A.

Big Col
2nd February 2006, 04:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
You gotta fight (doom doom) for your rights...

:)

Smurf
2nd February 2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks :) will ring this week... Also how much is a fortune, more/less than £100 :question:

M

I'd need to look back through my paperwork, as it was a couple of years ago, but I think it wasn't a kick in the pants off 150.....
Long story - but HBros eventually paid half as a "goodwill gesture"........

indigomatt
2nd February 2006, 05:50 PM

M

I'd need to look back through my paperwork, as it was a couple of years ago, but I think it wasn't a kick in the pants off 150.....
Long story - but HBros eventually paid half as a "goodwill gesture"........

No need to look....*gulp* :dead: Thanks