PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Driving

Burple
31st January 2006, 11:07 PM
Here's an interesting question / discussion..

We were talking about this in work the other day, and I thought it would be interesting to find out opinions round these parts..

Given the effects of the substance, and it's properties, Nicotine is for all intents and purposes a Class A drug *, and apart from the Huge profit Governments make from tax on cigarettes around the world, should be treated as one- ie it 'should' be illegal to use. For comparison, it takes roughly 14 seconds for Heroin to enter the bloodstream in the brain, but Nicotine takes only around 7 seconds (twice as addictive is one argument).
Now, it's illegal to drink alcohol, smoke cannabis (etc) or ingest any other class A drug and drive, so WHY is it ok to smoke another drug whilst in control of a very lethal piece of machinery?
Not to mention those who smoke CANNOT give 100% of their attention to the road, whilst basically they have:
>- a fire between their fingers in a confined space.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to light the cigarette.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to smoke the cigarette.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to extinguish the cigarette.
Not to mention those idiots who throw a lit cigarette out a moving car window.
Could you be found at fault at the scene of an accident because your car is filled with smoke, obscuring your view?
I've certainly read reports of people being pulled by the Police for eating and drinking whilst driving (as well as the obvious using mobile phones), as it's considered dangerous, so why is it ok to take drugs (smoke) and drive?

Anyway, I'm not looking for a fight/ argument / dolly out of pram incident, just interested in you opinions

(and sort of hoping that no-one here has the disrespect to smoke in their poor Mini!:D:I)

* Not a fact, but a fairly popular opinion - possibly started as a sneaky scare-tactic! ;))

Scottie
31st January 2006, 11:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Here's an interesting question / discussion..

We were talking about this in work the other day, and I thought it would be interesting to find out opinions round these parts..

Given the effects of the substance, and it's properties, Nicotine is for all intents and purposes a Class A drug, and apart from the Huge profit Governments make from tax on cigarettes around the world, should be treated as one- ie it 'should' be illegal to use. For comparison, it takes roughly 14 seconds for Heroin to enter the bloodstream in the brain, but Nicotine takes only around 7 seconds (twice as addictive is one argument).
Now, it's illegal to drink alcohol, smoke cannabis (etc) or ingest any other class A drug and drive, so WHY is it ok to smoke another drug whilst in control of a very lethal piece of machinery?
Not to mention those who smoke CANNOT give 100% of their attention to the road, whilst basically they have:
>- a fire between their fingers in a confined space.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to light the cigarette.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to smoke the cigarette.
>- to divert concentration away from the road to extinguish the cigarette.
Not to mention those idiots who throw a lit cigarette out a moving car window.
Could you be found at fault at the scene of an accident because your car is filled with smoke, obscuring your view?
I've certainly read reports of people being pulled by the Police for eating and drinking whilst driving (as well as the obvious using mobile phones), as it's considered dangerous, so why is it ok to take drugs (smoke) and drive?

Anyway, I'm not looking for a fight/ argument / dolly out of pram incident, just interested in you opinions

(and sort of hoping that no-one here has the disrespect to smoke in their poor Mini!:D:I)

well I smoke and drive:p;) fags that is.;) I would dispute that dragging on a fag has the same effect to your brain as say other illegal drugs.

Lighting a fag yes your not 100% eye on the road opening a can of juice not 100% eye on the road picking your nose and so on and so on. Looking at the sat/nav where do you draw the line.

I think there is more of a debate to be had for "driving while tired"
it's one of the greatest dangers to other road users.

Gismo
31st January 2006, 11:20 PM
Should be banned in a confined space, can't see the class A drug bit though
Roll on the 26 March for the ban in public places

Big Col
31st January 2006, 11:32 PM
Aye yer Class A point is pure p!sh wee man but I agree with the rest o' it! :D

Burple
31st January 2006, 11:34 PM
quote:
well I smoke and drive:p;) fags that is.;) I would dispute that dragging on a fag has the same effect to your brain as say other illegal drugs.

well.. it's a psychoactive substance, a hallucigen (taken in larger quantities), a stimulant and increases the blood pressure to name a few..

Personally my argument is that any activity that takes your eyes from the road is a danger to your concentration, but you're right, where do we draw the line?

The Dogfather
31st January 2006, 11:40 PM
Ban cigs altogether, end of!

Burple
31st January 2006, 11:45 PM
The class A part, I think, is taken really from the speed which the substance enters the bloodstream (twice as quick as Heroin - does that not worry anyone?) and the highly addictive nature of Nicotine.

I've searched Google a fair bit and can't see any direct link to Nicotine actually being Class A. Maybe a bit of Urban Myth going on there...

Like I say, all the information may not be 100% accurate, it's from our discussions here, I'm interested in your opinions :D

I can't wait to go to the pub and actually be able to breathe! :D

minidriver#1
31st January 2006, 11:48 PM
I've never tried opening a can of juice while driving, thats just dumb. And when i pick my nose im usually looking at the road because i know what to expect out the nose. lol

The Dogfather
31st January 2006, 11:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

And when i pick my nose im usually looking at the road because i know what to expect out the nose. lol

But can you be sure you not gonna cause a nosebleed? :D

Smurf
1st February 2006, 12:15 AM
Yep - I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be done. Don't smoke and drive. If you're banned from (or advised against....) holding anything else while you are driving (phone, food, drink etc) then why are you allowed to hold a stick on fire?? Always has seemed a bit mad to me..... <driver lights up, doing 80 up the motorway, drops said stick on fire, burns leg, looks down, beats out fire, glances up and sees back of HGV going 20mph slower getting VERY close..... doesn't bear thinking about really>

Oh - and I'm another one who can't wait for the 26th March! Apologies to all those who do smoke, I respect your right to choose, and to poison yourself, I'll just be well happy when you won't be able to poison me any more!

OK rant over.....

Scottie
1st February 2006, 01:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

I've never tried opening a can of juice while driving, thats just dumb.

maybe not. but you trying to tell me that you have never looked in that rear view mirror at yourself and thought what a handsome chap I am.?????;):p now your not giving the road 100% concentration at that time:blackeye:

Burple
1st February 2006, 01:03 AM
quote:

maybe not. but you trying to tell me that you have never looked in that rear view mirror at yourself and thought what a handsome chap I am.?????;):p now your not giving the road 100% concentration at that time:blackeye:

Lol!!! Busted KJ!! She's got you sussed!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

minidriver#1
1st February 2006, 01:04 AM
If i was a handsome chap, all other road users' attention would be on me so i'd be safe :P

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 01:12 AM
Well if we are all happy to be told what to do then so be it, I for one smoke..mmmmmmmm... but never when I am driving. mainly because it smells and makes the roof of the car go yellow.8)

But when it comes to telling me I cant smoke in any public places, well **** that. This is a Goverment stunt, to keep voters on board, While we still have so much wrong with this country,
poverty,
abuse,
crime ,
rising debt and yet offers to borrow more money drop through the letterbox daily. As Britain's overweight, indebted families look blearily ahead.
A debt ridden health service that could kill you rather than cure you.

But its all OK cos smokers cant smoke in pubs.

and when they bann you all from driving your car on a Sunday as its deemed unnecessary, Bad for the environment and the health of others. Remember what wise words were spoken on NEWMINISCOTLAND.:D

Scottie
1st February 2006, 01:24 AM
As a smoker I totally 100% agree with the BAN on smoking in public places.

Infact I go one step further they should also ban alcohol also.

sh@z
1st February 2006, 01:29 AM
Yeah but monki, why should i have to inhale your smoke in a public place, smoke in the privacy of your own hom where it doesnt do any harm to anybody but yourself, but just as you have the right to choose to smoke, I have the right to not be given lung cancer from someone elses smoke.

Burple
1st February 2006, 01:46 AM
quote:
But its all OK cos smokers cant smoke in pubs.

All very good points too. It's seems pretty harsh to ban smoking in ALL pubs. I mean, I welcome the idea, having a touch of Asthma ain't fun sometimes in a smoky pub, but surely the pub owners should have some say?
In some cases smokers should really be more considerate towards those of us who don't smoke, especially in places like pubs, where it isn't pleasant to be stood at the bar and have some random punter beside you blow smoke all over you without any thought as to where it's going..

And I agree that everyone should be allowed to have a choice to partake - or not, but we're drifting again! :p:)

Here's an example:
Say someone was drunk while driving, and runs over another person.
This person should (in theory and quite rightly) get screwed over by the Court for drinking and driving.
But say someone was taking a draw from a cigarette (or trying to put one out on their trousers ;)) they are in essence still driving under the influence of drugs. Will the penalty be so harsh? It's not so likely, but shouldn't it be?

We had a lovely long 'discussion' about this stuff in the (smoky <cof>) pub at lunchtime t'other day :D

And hey! No fighting! :) all opinions are equally valid!

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 01:47 AM
I agree sh@z, but if a owner of a bar wishes for his/her premises to be smoking, after all it is a legal substance and a free country were choice and democracy are promoted, why can he not ? he can have a sign saying " SMOKING BAR " clearly displayed, then you as a non-smoker has the choice, to go in or not, as do I.

Infact everyone has a choice, but not in this case,we are no longer able to make our own decision. If I owned a pub and this could effect my takings. I would be p*ssed at not been able to choose.

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 01:50 AM
LnL, I think the issue is, how do you prove it ? is a ciggy burn on someones trousers enough proof. I dont think so. even some drugs are undetectable.

euan
1st February 2006, 02:05 AM
Smoking in cars...

Well in my view it ruins your interior, makes the car stink (even if you open the windows), and hits you on resale value. I think it also distracts you - looking for the packet, finding a lighter, lighting the fag, putting it back down again, and then actually smoking the thing. Nope, ban it in cars (although, perhaps enforce it more than the mobile phone thing - I count so many people on the phone every day)

As for the pub debate, I'm all in favour but then I don't smoke (anymore). While I can know people are allowed to smoke, it is legal, and people enjoy it with a pint, it shouldn't be up to anyone to potentially (and I stress the potential bit) affect your health. I also hate the smell on my clothes.

In summing up,yes it distracts you.

Burple
1st February 2006, 02:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

LnL, I think the issue is, how do you prove it ? is a ciggy burn on someones trousers enough proof. I dont think so. even some drugs are undetectable.

Proof is always the hard part, that was merely an example trying to view it from an unbiased position.. (which is hard enough at the best of times)
Heh.. most of the idiots that are allowed on the streets don't even need drugs as an excuse unfortunately.

I think I need to say that I didn't start this thread to have a go at smokers, we had this discussion amongst work colleauges, most of whom own a car simply beacause it's a car, and it can get them where they have to be, they have no social 'connection' like this community.
(I'm only glad it was our IT bunch this was discussed with, not the Art College..we'd still be there while they fought about it! ;))
I was interested to hear the opinions of a much more focused group of car enthusiasts.

sleepyrascal
1st February 2006, 02:39 AM
smoking in indoor public places should be banned, (and not only places which serve food) as this has adverse effects on others who choose not to smoke.

Smoking while driving. It hacks me off when you see folk who can hardly turn the steering wheel because they are juggling a fag at the same time. I'm not saying all folk who smoke and drive are like that! However some people might argue that it hacks them off when they see people drinking a bottle of water (as i do) or playing with their stereo (as i do) etc etc.

I would love to see smoking banned in pubs as it is in Dublin for example. Theres nothing worse than blowing your nose after a night out in town and the snot is all black!!!lol! Just think what your lungs must look like though!!!!

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 02:53 AM
LnL, you have created a monster !!!!

Sheilz
1st February 2006, 06:44 AM
Back in the 80's/90's the Glentanner in Abz became the non-smoking Babilaws - choice of the management - and came on the back of the political furor about smoking in order to cater for all the voices complaining about not being able to drink in a smoke free environment. Ah well! Within a couple of years, if even that, it was on point of bankruptcy and returned to being the smokie old Glentanner again! Nice experiment just too early. I'm a smoker but hate crowded smokie pubs though I would like to be able to have some public facilities. I kind of resent being criminalized by a government which makes considerable profits from me. I also agree that it would be very unfair of me to impose my habit on other people, but remember every time any of us drive past the public emitting our exhaust fumes into their space we are just as guilty as smokers - nae worse, much worse.
While I also agree that sitting in a smoke filled car would be unpleasant I think banning it would be taking nanny-state too far. That has got to be a personal choice. What next - banning stereos, conversing with passengers, kids in the back - all distractions from the road - where does it stop:question::question::(:eek:

N12 JLK
1st February 2006, 07:25 AM
Ban smoking whilst driving and do away with cigarette lighters in cars also. A few years ago some arsehole flung his fag out of his HGV and fell through my mother in laws sunroof burning a hole in her seats! Roll on the ban in pubs soon be able to eat and go out and not come home honking of smoke.
There thats my point put across:)

sleepyrascal
1st February 2006, 08:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Ban smoking whilst driving and do away with cigarette lighters in cars also. A few years ago some arsehole flung his fag out of his HGV and fell through my mother in laws sunroof burning a hole in her seats! Roll on the ban in pubs soon be able to eat and go out and not come home honking of smoke.
There thats my point put across:)

OH I AGREE!!! FU**ING HATE IT WHEN FOLK FLING FAGS OUT THEIR WINDOW INTO THE PATH OF MY CAR! THEY USUALLY GET A MIDDLE FINGER OUT THE PASSENGER WINDOW FROM ME ACCOMPANIED BY A LOT OF F'S AND W'S ! :D AND IT MAKES MY DAY IF I END UP NEXT TO THEM IN A Q OF TRAFFIC! BANTER!

They dont chuck crisp packets or paper out the window so what makes fags so different!?!?!?!?!?

There was a driver in aberdeen stopped by the Police for chucking a fag out of his window. They asked him to walk back and pick it up. He refused and he was chucked in a cell overnight.

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 09:16 AM
I reckon we will be in a pickle when the Internal combustion engine is uncool and people awaken to the evils of pollution from this.

when this time comes and the Nanny state decide your car will be a water driven recyclable low fat margerine tub and you can no longer measure a cars worth in horse power but in solar cells then you will all be saying "Oh but its my choice":blackeye:

For me, I still miss a smoke on the bus:D:D

Monki

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 09:30 AM
I cant remember what LnL asked in the 1st place...... Oh yeah, should smoking in a car be illegal and hold the same consequences as drug taking. I reckon it should be banned in line with phones, eating & drinking as they are an unnessacary distraction,

Eating...... If you are that hungry, should you be driving? Pull over
Drinking.... iF YOU are that thirsty, should you be driving? pull over
Phones...... If its that important, can you concentrate? NO ! pull over
Smoking..... If you are such an addict and cant manage without a fag between stops? pull over
Picking your
nose........ If its that dirty, pull over incase you wanna eat what you found.

But in regards to drink and alchohol, cigarettes do not impair you vision or effect response times and judgment.

Monki

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2006, 09:43 AM

For me, I still miss a smoke on the bus:D:D

But the folk you sit next to on the bus don't miss your smoking.;)

From what I remember of the highway code; anything which detracts your concentration from driving is classed as a breach of the code. The strange thing is, even before the actual mobile phone law became law, it was still illegal to use a mobile phone while driving (if it caused you to drive recklessly or carelessly). It was just very difficult for the police to prosecute on that part of the highway code, if it couldn't be proven without doubt that the mobile phone was causing you to drive dangerously or recklessly.

To be honest, I tend to think there are many other distractions in a car which detract your attention from the procedure of driving more than smoking - although I've never smoked. Some have been listed by others above, kids, stereo etc.

Personally, that's why I drive automatics; once I've got my Big Mac in one hand and my mobile in the other, changing gear is just impossible.;)

Big Col
1st February 2006, 04:45 PM
I say bring on the ban in public places. This argument of "It's my choice to smoke and the state shouldn't interfere" is complete rubbish as it's not the ones that have a choice, i.e. the smelly, yellow teethed, ash covered, tar filled smokers the state is protecting. It's the non smokers that don't have a choice about the second hand smoke they're inhaling that are being protected. If a pub built an air tight room in which to fling all the smokers then I think they should be allowed to have people smoke in it. If not then pi$$ off out into the rain for your tab ya selfish polluting g!ts! :)

Now...time for some coffee. :D

Oh...back on subject smoking whilst driving is stoopid.

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2006, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I say bring on the ban in public places. This argument of "It's my choice to smoke and the state shouldn't interfere" is complete rubbish as it's not the ones that have a choice, i.e. the smelly, yellow teethed, ash covered, tar filled smokers the state is protecting. It's the non smokers that don't have a choice about the second hand smoke they're inhaling that are being protected. If a pub built an air tight room in which to fling all the smokers then I think they should be allowed to have people smoke in it. If not then pi$$ off out into the rain for your tab ya selfish polluting g!ts! :)

Oh...back on subject smoking whilst driving is stoopid.

Beating about the bush there as usual Col. Why don't you come out and say what you really think.:D:D

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 06:36 PM

You poor misled fools, They are not protecting you, they are protecting votes. its a conspiracy !!!!!

http://www.public-smoking-conspiracy.co.uk/

................Oh my god they've shut it down:(

Now...time for some coffee......and a smoke, mmmmmnnnnn

Burple
1st February 2006, 06:40 PM

I cant remember what LnL asked in the 1st place...... Oh yeah, should smoking in a car be illegal and hold the same consequences as drug taking. I reckon it should be banned in line with phones, eating & drinking as they are an unnessacary distraction,

Eating...... If you are that hungry, should you be driving? Pull over
Drinking.... iF YOU are that thirsty, should you be driving? pull over
Phones...... If its that important, can you concentrate? NO ! pull over
Smoking..... If you are such an addict and cant manage without a fag between stops? pull over
Picking your
nose........ If its that dirty, pull over incase you wanna eat what you found.

But in regards to drink and alchohol, cigarettes do not impair you vision or effect response times and judgment.

Monki

But don't you get that Nicotine rush still? People seem to forget that if you smoke WHEREVER you are you're still taking drugs...
My favourite thing is to hear people who smoke complain about those 'junkies' taking drugs.. Erm, Hello! Nicotine addict = drug addict = Junkie!!! :blackeye::D

But I do agree with all the things you say above, if you're driving then anything else you try to do WILL distract you, and I'm only glad that most people on the roads aren't as stupid as some of those berks on those 'police stop' type programs who drive up the motorway reading maps!!:blackeye::blackeye::eek:

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 06:47 PM
About two years ago, I passed a guy on the A90 on a Kawasaki Ninja, texting on a mobile, while doing about 50. absoloutly ****ing stoopid.

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

My favourite thing is to hear people who smoke complain about those 'junkies' taking drugs.. Erm, Hello! Nicotine addict = drug addict = Junkie!!! :blackeye::D

The difference is, I wont be off with your DVD player for a packet of smokes ( not yet anyway );), I can hold down a job as my addiction is not crippleing nor does it effect my performance at work.
It is not illegal :dead:

Big Col
1st February 2006, 07:02 PM
You poor misled fools, They are not protecting you, they are protecting votes. its a conspiracy !!!!!

<blinks> Just to be clear on what you're saying here mate. You're saying that politicans trying to win my vote by doing something that I actually want is a conspiracy:question:

monkimagic
1st February 2006, 08:34 PM

<blinks> Just to be clear on what you're saying here mate. You're saying that politicans trying to win my vote by doing something that I actually want is a conspiracy:question:

Just throwing in a bit of light heartedness with the conspiracy thing.:p

http://www.public-smoking-conspiracy.co.uk/

................Oh my god they've shut it down

Burple
1st February 2006, 10:31 PM
quote:

The difference is, I wont be off with your DVD player for a packet of smokes ( not yet anyway );), I can hold down a job as my addiction is not crippling nor does it effect my performance at work.
It is not illegal :dead:

Lol :D yet! ;)
Quite right! you're not likely to go burgling someone's house for a smoke! Unless the government decide that they want to increase the tax on Tobacco that much that the price becomes extortionate :mad::dead:
Imagine the outrage then! That would be an insane decision. Somehow I think it would be a little higher profile than people campaigning to have smoke free pubs!
Any addiction to smoking isn't quite in the same league as a hardcore Smack addict!
I can see where the attraction comes from, I've had the odd puff before myself (Smoking! Not smack!!;)), but it's not for me..

At the end of the day my personal opinion is live and let live, everyone should be free to make their own choice, but being considerate towards others. I know not all smokers are the sort indicative of some of the remarks here (mine included) but it tends to be the ones who are inconsiderate that stick in your mind - Just like when you drive to work, you're much more likely to remember the %$%"^ing £%!%%"£$^!! that cut you up rather than the nice guy / girl who let you cut in in front of them.

Burple
1st February 2006, 10:33 PM

Yup! You saying you'd actually trust anything a politician says to you?? :p;)

There's ALWAYS an ulterior motive...:mad:

monkimagic
2nd February 2006, 02:26 AM
:D:D:D:D

"Live and let live" is a very good moto !

Or as some may say

"Live and let the smoking fools kill themselves" is another good one:evil:

Lots of strong opinions on here, not only about this subject but other subjects, however it never gets personal and is always in good spirit.