PDA

View Full Version : Noisey door seals - again!

Wul
23rd October 2003, 09:31 PM
Right a wee favour from you chaps please.

Is it just my car or across the board that when driving in the rain/wet roads, the noise from outside is very loud at the point in the drivers door where the window meets the lower half of the door at the B-Pillar jamb?

It is hard to describe - but the nearest i can get to replicating it is to drive with the door ajar or with the window open a fraction! It is especially loud driving over white lines when wet.

In all the cars i've ever driven - the mini is the only one that has ever had this problem. also all the courtesy mini's i've driven have been quiet.

Got new door seals last year which worked for a while - now it's back again arrgh!

Please let me know if your cars do this too - you may need to turn the volume down first though as this is how i remove the problem -turn up the stereo!:D

KenL
23rd October 2003, 09:34 PM
Not sure but I'm frightened to listen for it in case it's something else I end up worrying about !!!

Fontal
23rd October 2003, 10:17 PM
Phew!!
Your not the only one Wul My one does the same, as you say it sounds like the door hasn't closed properly.
I thought it was my car after the crash not fitting together properly.

macblob
24th October 2003, 02:15 AM
Mine is very loud on wet rds too, sounds like there is water or something inside the door panel , maybe the door skin is very thin?

Julz
24th October 2003, 03:17 AM
It might be your windoow alignment, it's a recurring problem that I've had (well, it's happened twice now), it sounds like your window's not shut properly or my best description is that it sounds like s fart in the door!!;) Maybe get your dealer to check it out!!:)

Wul
24th October 2003, 04:47 PM
Julz - had that done too! apparently the last time they renewed the seal and adjusted the rake of the window so it pressed against the seal better.

My personal opinion is that the bit of funny seal on the actucal door itself at the window/panel junction is to fault - but i'm glad in a way it's not just my car - maybe it's yet another thing we just need to learn to live with!

Thanks for the feedback though folks.

super ally
17th November 2003, 08:54 PM
I recently got my windows fixed for same problem. They changed the seals and two days later the sqeaking and sticking still happened. My uncle works in the Doncaster plant and he said it's a design faultand is worse when it rains! So great news for Scottish folk!!

Fingers crossed squeaking has stopped for now!

regards

Super Ally

Big Gordy
17th November 2003, 09:01 PM
That's handy :p We have a mole within the plant :p:D:approve:

Bazthemod
17th November 2003, 11:32 PM
Excellant cure to this problem! .... Turn the volume up so u cant hear it!:clown:

Duncan Stewart
18th November 2003, 05:55 PM
I've noticed this (especially when windy) but not too loud. My Opel Manta did the same as it also had frameless windows so I assumed some noise is acceptable due to the frameless design.

Big Col
18th November 2003, 09:12 PM
Can I just ask what size everyone's wheels are that have this prob 'cos I have the standard 15's (cos they handle best right!! :p) and I don't have the prob described here.

Wul
18th November 2003, 10:29 PM
Big Col - i have 16" run-flats FYI...

...however i'm confused.....it's not tyre noise you can hear - it's the outside world getting in! Mostly puddle splashes and wet white lines!(not that kind ;))

Big Gordy
18th November 2003, 10:54 PM
It's all relative Wul, the bigger the tyre footprint the more road/puddle noise you have. I can't comment as I've never driven our mini in the wet yet :eek::I:eek::I