PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Excel Problem

Smitty
28th January 2006, 10:38 PM
Having a wee problem here. Tried accessing excel for the first time in about a month on my machine and its not opening.

When opening the program, the installer launches and it is trying to configure Microsoft XP professinal with Front Page. It then prompts me to insert the Office CD, which i dont have (shhhhhhhhh;))

Now both of these programs have been on my machine for over a year, so why the sudden problem? All other office applcations still work perfectly.:blackeye:

duncan
28th January 2006, 10:49 PM
Ocasionally get prompts for the disc after updates and Service Packs.

euan
28th January 2006, 11:09 PM
If it's your home PC and you don't have the office disks, and don't need anything fancy in excel, google search for open office. It's free, (about an 80MB download though) and you can save to excel formats (and word formats etc). Can read any office document, edit it, save it as an office document. Once you get used to where things are, it's brilliant.

Now, the excel issue. It may be that when it was installed it wasn't selected as a complete install. By default, it will install a selection of the software, and the rest is accessible and will ask for the CD when the feature is used. It may be that is what is going on - in which case I'm not sure of any way round it other than having the CD.