PDA

View Full Version : Configuring a Netgear ADSL Router - All fixed!

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 09:35 AM
Looking for a wee bit help on this from a nice PC knowledgeable NMS'er.

Just bought a Netgear ADSL Modem Router. Followed all the installation instructions as far as I can - to the letter. But for some reason my PC doesn't recognise the Netgear Router in the "Network Connections" window of my Control Panel. Under "Dial Up" it lists my BT Voyager ADSL modem (which I'm using just now), and under "LAN or High Speed Internet" it just lists my a 1394 connection, which I don't use unless I've got my video camera attached.

Am I right in saying it should list my Netgear ADSL modem too? Or do I need to tell my PC to go find it? And if I do need to tell my PC to go find it, how do I do that?

When my PC is connected to the Router, the Router shows that my PC is connected to one of the sockets (1 to 4). But from what I remember at work there should be a wee LED light up just where the ethernet cables are plugged in. On my own PC there's no sign of an LED coming on. Is it possible the ethernet port on the back of my PC isn't even connected? If so, I guess I need to buy a PCI card with an ethernet port.

Once I get the PC to recognise the Netgear router I have a reasonable idea of what to do from then on.

Any help would be appreciated.

sh@z
28th January 2006, 09:42 AM
No it shouldnt.

You need to type in an ip (normally http://192.168.x.x - x being a number) and then you get to the administration panel (shouldnt be a password yet, you will need to set one), this should be in your manual, under how to set it up, your PC wont pick up the router, just the connection (You have it set up Modem -> Router -> PC yeah?) If it see's a connection, its working, you just need to find the IP to get into the admin panel for the router, and do your settings.

The Ethernet should light up, mine does, but again if you can get on the internet isnt it working ok?

The above was the procedure i followded to set up my old linksys and current D-link routers (only difference being the IP for the admin panel)

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 09:48 AM
Hi sh@z,

I tried typing the http://192.168xxxx etc in (the instructions clearly show the I.P. and the default logon and password) but IE just gives a standard "page not found" message.

How do you mean: "(you have it set up Modem -> Router -> PC yeah?)"?

sh@z
28th January 2006, 10:20 AM
Basically your modem should plug into your router, and then router to your PC?

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 06:34 PM
But I have a ADSL Router. With that I don't need my USB Modem.

Gismo
28th January 2006, 06:41 PM
Ok, tell me what windows operating system you are using and what cables you are using??

You're Netgear router should be visible in your networt connections window, even if it's not connecting to the internet, which yours is.
If you can't see it in the window then you won't be able to access it from your PC to finalise the settings.

Normally you have to install the software first, reboot and then attach a cable, ethernet is best.

You might have to run the network wizard (XP) to recognise that you are now in a LAN as opposed to just connecting to the internet. The router allows multiple PC's to connect to it and then the internet
Also, are you using an independant firewall (Not the Router) this may be blocking the connection

Gismo
28th January 2006, 06:44 PM
Assuming you are running XP, right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, select hardware, select device manager, click on network adaptors and make sure you're ethernet adaptor is shown and is working correctly

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 06:54 PM
Cheers BS.

Running XP. Using Ethernet from router to PC. Netgear router definitely not visible in network connections. From what I could see, there is NO software to install for the ADSL router, just the wireless USB dongle thingy. Not bothering with the wireless aspect yet. Need to get the router working first. Because I was getting no-where, so that I can still get onto the internet, I had to disconnect the router to get onto the internet and post last night "help please" post. I haven't had it plugged back in yet, so when I go into device manager/network adaptors it doesn't show the router. But then as it's not plugged in I wouldn't really expect it to.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Ethernet port on the back of my PC is defunct. A wee light should come on when an Ethernet cable is plugged in and when the router is plugged into the pc using the Ethernet cable, the pc makes no reference to it's existence. That ain't right.

Gismo
28th January 2006, 07:10 PM
Andy, the router won't be in the device manager, only the ethernet connection, if your connection isn't listed you're ethernet won't work.
If the ethernet is visible, but has a yellow circle and a ! inside it that means you'll have to install the software for it to work.
If it's not listed at all then you have a problem, is your ethernet a card that's been inserted or is it attached to the motherboard??

If it's on the motherboard you'll have the drivers on the motherboard disk, if it's a card that's been inserted then you'll also have a driver disk.

However, if the ethernet connection does not show in device manager then something is wrong, it could be damaged etc

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 08:19 PM
AH! Found the ethernet controller in device manager and you are right, it has a ! in the middle of a yellow circle. It was listed under "Other devices" in the tree, which is why I didn't see it forst time round.

Now all I need to do is find the motherboard disk. Which I seriously doubt I still have. :( I'll have a wee look and see what motherboard I have and trawl the net for a driver.

Many thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Andy

GAJ
28th January 2006, 08:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

You still need an ADSL modem with your router unless you have a combined router/modem. What moodel do you have?

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

You still need an ADSL modem with your router unless you have a combined router/modem. What moodel do you have?

It's an ADSL router modem. Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router - Model DG834G

euan
28th January 2006, 08:26 PM
Is it the one PC world are doing a deal on just now? I bought one of these for work, it came with the USB dongle for wireless.

Once you've sorted your ethernet controller, it should all magically work - it's a doddle to set one of these up. I did it in 2 minutes the other day.

If you still can't see the 198.blah address, make sure that you have an ip address from the router. It comed with DHCP enabled by default - in network connections, select the Lan and it should show you that you have an IP of 192.168.something.

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 08:36 PM
euan, It sounds like the same one. Got it in Currys, and it has the USB Dongle for wireless.

OK Next question - hwo do I find out what motherboard I have, and what the chipset is?

Gismo
28th January 2006, 08:40 PM
AH! Found the ethernet controller in device manager and you are right, it has a ! in the middle of a yellow circle.
Cheers
Andy
Nice one :approve: once you've discovered what the motherboard is you'll easily get the driver for it, in fact you should have the disk supplied with the computer. Are you sure you don't have it
Then, as everyone says, type the url into a web page using the 192 range supplied with the router, it will ask for the user name and password, they are usually "admin" and "password" as standard, you must change this as soon as you're sorted for better security ;) but don't forget it

Gismo
28th January 2006, 08:43 PM
OK Next question - how do I find out what motherboard I have, and what the chipset is?
When the computer boots and if it is new enough, the motherboard is listed during the boot process, press pause during the boot up to freeze the screen, it should be there somewhere
Failing that, contact the supplier, if you've bought it recently ask them why the ethernet isn't working and get them to supply the correct driver for you
It's a bit like buying a car and the indicator's don't work :evil:

Craig
28th January 2006, 08:50 PM
Andy,

try this

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

it's a product called Everest and it looks at your motherboard and gives you all the details. It's freeware so no cost.

If you still have problems with your computer, you have my number, more than happy to help.;)

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 09:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

OK Next question - how do I find out what motherboard I have, and what the chipset is?
When the computer boots and if it is new enough, the motherboard is listed during the boot process, press pause during the boot up to freeze the screen, it should be there somewhere
Failing that, contact the supplier, if you've bought it recently ask them why the ethernet isn't working and get them to supply the correct driver for you
It's a bit like buying a car and the indicator's don't work :evil:

I'll give your suggestion a try as well as Criag's. Cheers.

You're right about the Ethernet-not-working issue. I bought the PC about 2 1/2 years ago from Savacentre.co.uk When it arrived I saw a 1394 firewire port nicely located on the front. Plugged in my digital video camera and it didn't work. So I contacted them and they said "ah, well. See that socket is just part of the case you bought. If you'd wanted us to actually connect it to the motherboard there would have been a charge for that.":evil::evil::evil:

So it doesn't surprise me the Ethernet socket isn't working. Needless to say, I haven't bought there since.;)

Unfortunately I have to get to work so I won't be able to do anything until tonight when I get home.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help. I'll post a message to say how I get on.

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2006, 09:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Andy,

try this

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

it's a product called Everest and it looks at your motherboard and gives you all the details. It's freeware so no cost.

If you still have problems with your computer, you have my number, more than happy to help.;)

Cheers Criag,

I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonight.

Got to head off now to earn some pennys to keep me in MINI's and X5's etc. ;)

If it doesn't work, I'll give you a shout tomorrow sometime.

Craig
29th January 2006, 01:25 AM
no probs Andy - usual rate.... ;) (well Jude does want an X5 next....)

sh@z
29th January 2006, 03:41 AM
AndyP ... could also be the ethernet cable nacked, they are very cheap so might wanna grab a new one of those to try 1st ... unless you have a means with which to test the ethernet cable. :p

AndyP & Lenore
29th January 2006, 03:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

AndyP ... could also be the ethernet cable nacked, they are very cheap so might wanna grab a new one of those to try 1st ... unless you have a means with which to test the ethernet cable. :p

Here's the weird thing.... When a PC is connected to one of the ports on the router, the light for that port illuminates on the front of the router box, as if everything is hunky dory.

But the fact that the ethernet port is disabled in the device profile, this has to be my first priority. I'll get that going and see what happens next.:)

duncan
29th January 2006, 03:53 AM
Is it the correct ethernet cable, and not a crossover one?

AndyP & Lenore
29th January 2006, 04:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Is it the correct ethernet cable, and not a crossover one?

It came in the box with the router, so you'd like to think they put the right one in there. :):eek::D

duncan
29th January 2006, 04:12 AM
Yep, one would hope so!

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2006, 08:06 AM
Fandabydozy!

All working great now.

Craig, that Everest program is fantastic. It diagnosed the make and model of the Ethernet adapter, so I went to the manufacturers web site and downloaded the driver. Installed it no problem.

Once the Ethernet adapter driver was installed, connecting up and configuring the Netgear router was a doddle. It simply did everything for me. Clicked the "Automatic detect" button and it did. Simple. Fantastic.

Many thanks to everyone for their help on this matter.

AndyP

Craig
30th January 2006, 04:36 PM
woohoo!!:D:D

another wireless user on-line...;)

euan
30th January 2006, 05:59 PM
Andy,

I trust you've turned on the securty features of the wireless router....

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2006, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Andy,

I trust you've turned on the securty features of the wireless router....

Not using wireless just yet. Still using the ethernet cable. But I will be using the wireless features on my new O2 XDA Mini S phone/pda when I get it configured.

Changed the default password though.;)

Gismo
30th January 2006, 07:22 PM
Andy, which software did you download, did you simply download the trial version??
Craig mentioned it was freeware, but the two programmes listed are trial and purchase
Can you link to the actual software you used, this sounds like exactly what i'm needing and far easier :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2006, 07:31 PM

Andy, which software did you download, did you simply download the trial version??
Craig mentioned it was freeware, but the two programmes listed are trial and purchase
Can you link to the actual software you used, this sounds like exactly what i'm needing and far easier :cool:

It seems they stopped allowing the free version a few months ago. So I paid for and downloaded the "Ultimate Eddition" it was only about £11 or something. Did the job nicely:D

Gismo
30th January 2006, 07:41 PM
It seems they stopped allowing the free version a few months ago. So I paid for and downloaded the "Ultimate Eddition" it was only about £11 or something. Did the job nicely:D
I wouldn't dare ask you to "share" it :p:p:D cool, i'll download my own, worth it for the hassle it gives me

Neil and Lorna
1st February 2006, 08:00 AM
Just read some off this thread and my head exploded.!

Gismo
1st February 2006, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neil
So how did you manage to type this reply then :p

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2006, 05:10 AM

quote:Originally posted by Neil
So how did you manage to type this reply then :p

I was working with him all day today. There's nothing wrong with his head BS.:) Either he grew a new one after the last one blew up or he was telling a bare faced lie. Shocking.:evil::(:D