PDA

View Full Version : Works S Tuning

Nick
28th January 2006, 12:08 AM
Does anyone know of any reliable tuning techniques or chips to boost power of the cooper s works (210)??????

I need more power.

Nick

MartinSullivan
28th January 2006, 01:02 AM
Speak to Si over at www.essentialmini.co.uk - the MTH works well with the works set up and several NMS members have it installed in their works cars.

Mon the fish
28th January 2006, 01:18 AM
I can vouch for the difference it's made to my Works, I'm now fancying a new manifold... :p

Nick
30th January 2006, 06:46 PM
yes i will check that out thanks......

although i gather my warranty may go........:-(

Mon the fish
31st January 2006, 04:03 AM
Well, if your wheel falls off they can't blame it on the remap, and its pretty undetectable anyway, what they don't know... :p

Nick
31st January 2006, 10:15 PM
yes very true..........although if i buy the cables i can always put the original map back on myself before servicing so will probably go with that....

So did you notice a considerable difference with the map???

Mon the fish
1st February 2006, 06:29 AM
I did, it pulls harder at low revs, didn't feel it as much approaching the redline, but foot down in 4th at 30 it makes a noticeable difference. The problem is it's so much harder to resist the urge to put the foot down all the time :D

ELFMAN
1st February 2006, 08:49 PM
Ahhhh, “More Power”.....the nirvana of petrol-hedonism, the answer to everything (especially Tuning Companies bank balances). Where will it end? You get used to it, then get fed up with it, then you sell it and start all over again. Been there, done that. But then again, I am an old fart.

One thing I have worked out though - Don't be seduced by big power figures. It'll NEVER be fast enough, and there'll ALWAYS be somebody (usually with a bigger budget!) faster. It's all about "Balance" between power, handling, ride, brakes etc. My 'S' isn't the fastest, but it's damn good fun and hasn't cost a fortune either.

Nick
1st February 2006, 10:18 PM
i know what you mean...........you always get bored thats true.......although i was seriously and am seriously considering selling my mini for a smart car roadster brabus and thats only got 101bhp! Test drove one, doesnt handle badly (although not as well as mini) and is much much slower but it looks so nice!

Anyway i get bored easily.........and i just fancied a few extra horses......keep me interested n all.......

Mon the fish
2nd February 2006, 02:17 AM
I know what you're saying about power, and I feel that my S Works has plenty for front-wheel drive, it'll wheelspin all the way through 2nd for gawd sake!. What I was after was quicker throttle response, and more low-down grunt, and I feel that the remap has given me that :)

ELFMAN
2nd February 2006, 08:52 PM
Sounds sensible. I have to admit I'm as guilty as the next person - I have to stop and remind myself every so often of what I said earlier! This is from the guy who's had (amongst many others) a Mini '1000 HLE' with a Lightened, Balanced, Big Valve head & 285 Cam 95+BHP 1275 and a 180BHP (L.A.D./ECOSSE) 106 GTI... I was perectly happy for over two years with my 2001 COOPER (although I added a Magnex system) and sincerely promised everybody in 2003 that I “Wasn't going to do ANYTHING” to the 'S'. Maybe we should set up "Tuners Anonymous"! Plus the fact I could buy a cracking wee "Classic" Mini for the money I'd spend on tuning the big one.

Speaking of traction/wheelspin - the other day on the way to work, I pulled out (traction control off) to overtake a (much) slower car and basically just wheelspun all the way past it in 2nd and well into 3rd as the road was so greasy - must have scared the crap out of the other car, I felt like going back to apologise. Sounded good though, and the car pulled nice and straight.

It's always tempting to go for a higher state of tune, there's so much stuf available. My fave 'Pipe Dream' is either the 'MED/PROTEK' 240+ish BHP (Big Valve Head, Cam, Pulley, Induction, Intercooler etc etc) conversion, or the 'West Tune' (based at Thruxton circuit) 245BHP upgrade (same sort of mods). Both are meant to be excellent and I'd also save a bit as I already have the Manifold & System. I've managed not to do it for the above reasons...so far.

However, I would recommend a good Manifold (Playmini, Milltek etc) for your Works. It would let all that good gear 'up front' breathe properly, and it sounds the business... Go on, you know you want to... DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! (Runs cackling with evil laughter into the distance).

Nick
2nd February 2006, 08:54 PM
hmmmmmmmm myabe this remap is not what i am looking for then. I dont think the power low down in the rev range is bad at all on the S Works id actually like more further up the rev range!!!

My friend recently got his 330cd chipped (250bhp, 380 Ibft torque) accleration was identical to my works S.....

If the remap is only going to give me more power lower down its not really what i want. Although fine for everyday driveability.....

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2006, 09:31 PM
The map can be tuned to your requirements - so power delivery comes in where you want. The rally car is running a fully tailored map and if you speak to Simon he can get one to meet your requirements too.

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2006, 10:05 PM
Ill take you for a spin in my car when I get back from Saudi Nick, see what you think ;)

Nick
2nd February 2006, 10:32 PM
Martin sounds like a plan to me.....;)

MartinSullivan
2nd February 2006, 10:58 PM
ok not sure when it will be - but ill be in touch

Nick
3rd February 2006, 12:55 AM
ok thats cool........i wasnt sure what mods you had done to your car....i was under the impression it was just a cooper s with a big exhaust!

Driven behind u a couple of times though........sounds good..