PDA

View Full Version : Super Unleaded for the cooper

T6 KFR
26th January 2006, 03:26 AM
After getting my playmini exhaust fitted last week in addition to my K&N typhoon kit, I thought i would upgrade my fuel now:)

Has anyone else went from unleaded to super unleaded??

Did you notice any difference, i cant seem to see any apart from knowing itis better for my engine.

duncan
26th January 2006, 04:00 AM
When I had my One, it just got regular Tesco petrol, then after trying Super Unleaded, the fuel consumption was better, and it seemed very slightly better. So the fact it cost more, was balanced out with the better fuel economy.

I've never put anything other than 98 RON in my current Cooper. (Except when I was desperate on the M6 at 3am when it got a fiver of regular)

The Dogfather
26th January 2006, 04:10 AM
I've noticed that the engine is quieter and smoother on LPG which is 100 RON. I can switch back and forth in seconds so it's easy to make the comparison.

Since I noticed this I've been super unleaded instead of standard unleaded, cost isn't an issue for me though as it only gets used for the first mile or so when the engine is cold.

jamiec
26th January 2006, 06:02 AM
Tried it today for the first time funny enough.

Ok so it's not like you step into a completly different car but a small difference was felt when the car was picking up speed through the higher gears. As the great debate is with higher octane petrol whether or not this is purley pshycological or a true gain in performance, believe what you wish!

Wouldn't dis it but for my car it doesn't get run on it all the time but every now and again it gets a wee treat :D

euan
26th January 2006, 06:11 PM
There was an article in a car magazine (think it was Evo) I read in the dealership a while waiting (within the last 2 months) which did a comparision of the prefromance benefits of various fuels. They tested supermarket fuel at 95, 97 and the Tesco stuff at 99ron, BP normal and BP Ultimate, and Shell standard and Optimax. The tested it on a new Golf GTi and a Scooby I think.

From what I can recall, what they found was that Utimate gave higher performance through better torque, while Optimax was not far off it but had better "cleaning" properties. The standard stuff at 95 ron was much lower on BHP (20-30bhp on the Scooby). The Tesco 99 stuff was good, but for day to day driving the 98 ron from BP and Shell were both very good, with BP having the edge on performance.

KenL
26th January 2006, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

There was an article in a car magazine (think it was Evo) I read in the dealership a while waiting (within the last 2 months) which did a comparision of the prefromance benefits of various fuels. They tested supermarket fuel at 95, 97 and the Tesco stuff at 99ron, BP normal and BP Ultimate, and Shell standard and Optimax. The tested it on a new Golf GTi and a Scooby I think.

From what I can recall, what they found was that Utimate gave higher performance through better torque, while Optimax was not far off it but had better "cleaning" properties. The standard stuff at 95 ron was much lower on BHP (20-30bhp on the Scooby). The Tesco 99 stuff was good, but for day to day driving the 98 ron from BP and Shell were both very good, with BP having the edge on performance.

Might be worth bearing in mind that the FSI engine in the VW is designed for 98ron fuel so that may account for a big difference.

euan
26th January 2006, 09:04 PM
True, but they did say both cars could run on any of the fuels listed (in the manual)

Big Col
26th January 2006, 09:14 PM
Wasn't that on the gadget show or something that test mate? I'm sure I saw that on TV.

euan
26th January 2006, 09:47 PM
There was a TV show that did one as well, it was on before the article in the magazine (and I think it was 5th gear)

Duncan Stewart
26th January 2006, 10:46 PM
I've tried running both previous and current (facelift) Cooper on super unleaded but to be honest never noticed any difference.

T6 KFR
27th January 2006, 05:25 AM
got to be honest, i do feel the engine running smmother through the gears..i thought it was just me though:D

I will continue to use my new super unleaded.

minimadtez
4th February 2006, 12:33 AM
I always used normal unleaded until one day Martin Sullivan got me to use optimax........couldnt believe the difference!!! now i dont use normal unleaded, i always go for the expensive stuff.....definately makes a difference

broken_brian
4th February 2006, 12:56 AM
There should be no noticable difference between super and normal unleaded as most cars are designed to run 95 0ctane fuel, as the octane rating is just the knock resistance the higher the number the better it is. Cars that run the best on super unleaded tend to have their ignition timing advanced to take advantage of the higher knock resistance therfore giving more power. So actually testing the difference using two cars that are setup to run 98 ron fuel was a bit meaningless as the cars would not run as well with normal unleaded. As for 100 octane lpg the ignition can be advanced by about 18 degrees and it can give better than petrol performance in some cases.

minimadtez
4th February 2006, 12:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

There should be no noticable difference between super and normal unleaded

superchipped MINI one......I notice a big difference

Burple
4th February 2006, 01:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

There should be no noticable difference...

Oi! you get back in yer cupboard and get the Anorak off! :p:p:p:D:D:D:D

MartinSullivan
4th February 2006, 02:30 AM
Both Terris car and mine are mapped specifically to make use of high octane fuel, and the performance improvement is very noticeable ;)

T6 KFR
4th February 2006, 02:39 AM
My MTH mapping with come soon Martin!!!

Seen your car about few times, but always yoru other half. Are you still away?

j mac
4th February 2006, 07:33 AM
i now use this super unleaded and the only thing i find is that i use far more petrol! I went from northhampton to carlisle which is only around 180m miles and i only had less than a qrtr left and normally i am a bit fuller than that...

performance wise i dont really notice much difference.

The Bull
4th February 2006, 12:06 PM
Was trying out this theory in my 'S' and came to the decision that the engine is much happier with the super. It's dearer and I don't get any more miles per penny (or so it seems) but there seems to be more torque and less "chug". Overtaking is even easier now too. Effortless.

I know, pretty obvious when you use fuel of a higher octane. Goes without saying.
:)