PDA

View Full Version : Wonky headlights, squeaky gears.... and more!

lightbody
22nd October 2003, 03:02 AM
Anyone else had this...

When I park and turn off my (halogen) headlights, it seems that they go into full-dip position. When I start up, I see them raise up to whatever position the switch is at. I've never understood why they did this... always seemed pointless. Anyway, for the 2nd time they've gone wrong and i have to twiddle the leveller button lots of times to bring them up to the correct height and one that is safe to drive at!

Also - 1,3 and 5 on the gearbox have a strange rubbery squeak coming from beneath the gear lever - it doesnt obstruct the change, just feels odd... seems to stop after a while.

Oh and the air conditioning has been noisy ever since Henry Bros took 3 attempts and many days of my time to fix it in summer...

Having been in Linda's wonderful Daisy at the weekend, I'm also now more aware that i have lots of buzzes and rattles from my interior too... mostly from the back quarter-panels, front seatbelts and front doors....

The brake-fluid change light is on, and a service is nearly due, so i'm putting my faith in Harry Fairbairn to put everything right... hope they're better than HB!

Big Col
22nd October 2003, 03:31 AM
Harry Fairbairn? I didn't know you were a Glasgae punter LB. What doea ya mini look like and I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Willie M
22nd October 2003, 06:01 AM
I notice a (very slight) dip when I switch my headlights off, and a (very slight) 'lift' when switching them on. Nothing too alarming though and I've never had to re-adjust the dial???

I'd certainly question the gearbox glitch you seem to have Rob, sounds odd.

I must say that I notice a huge difference in build quality in my Cooper, compared to our first one. There was only 9 months between them too. Stouffer still has one or two creaks and rattles (rear seat latches are worth slipping a piece of insulating tape around, if you haven't already done so) but nothing compared to our first Cooper. It sounded like a box of very manic budgies most of the time.

Hope Harry Fairbairn do the biz for you.

Big Col
22nd October 2003, 07:14 AM
INSULATING TAPE!!!! Why didn't I think of that???

Burple
22nd October 2003, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

I notice a (very slight) dip when I switch my headlights off, and a (very slight) 'lift' when switching them on. Nothing too alarming though and I've never had to re-adjust the dial???

Had this one too a couple of times... and oddly enough...another time only one of them raised up properly... very weird trying to drive down the Motorway!!
Next time I put them on they were fine... and have been ever since.

Incidentally they did this the first ever time I had to put them on....

macblob
22nd October 2003, 08:01 AM
I had the gear box squeaking in my cooper Rob, if i remember correctly it was in 1st , 3rd and 5th too. Took it into Dunedin who claimed they road tested it and couldnt hear anything but stripped and reoiled stuff under the gear lever gaitor and no squeak ever since.

Hope u get it all sorted

lightbody
22nd October 2003, 11:22 PM
Big Col - its BRG/White/white wheels with a large Charlie Brown on the roof! I live in the West End but its currently spending most of its time hiding in my back lane!

Big Col
23rd October 2003, 01:00 AM
Hmmm. I rekon I would've noticed the Charlie Brown methinks. I'll keep an eye out for ya though as I have a mate lives in the West End right next to the pub Moloko.

Burple
23rd October 2003, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Big Col - its BRG/White/white wheels with a large Charlie Brown on the roof! I live in the West End but its currently spending most of its time hiding in my back lane!

Snigger... Cue the 'Charlie' jokes from the Scottish Mini weekend...
(Sorry Rob!) ;):D
sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffffff....... :cool:;)

lightbody
14th November 2003, 02:19 AM
Well, out of 3 reported faults (squeaky gears, noisy aircon, wonky headlights) how many do you think they sorted? You guessed right! None of them! <sigh>

They claimed to have fixed the noisy aircon (nope) and gearsqueak (nope) and that it needed a switch for the headlights but i don't have time to take it back in.

Apart from that though its going great and they made it cleaner than its been in a long time.

john-apex
14th November 2003, 06:06 AM
My wee Lucy was in the garage last week for 3 days with a dashboard rattle. Pick her up Friday with no rattle for the first time since I got the car.:D Monday night and it is back :mad::mad:. So frustrating.

S7JGW
30th March 2005, 04:51 AM
I have had a problem with the headlights too.I just set my light angle switch to position 2 and ajusted the headlights using the adjuster screws under the bonnet to raise the lights to around where they should be at position 0. Since then i have had no problems with the lights but since the switch is set at position 2 i cannot lower the lights, but better than them stuck down.

Gismo
30th March 2005, 05:20 AM
Mini lights, utter crap, worst car i've ever had for lighting, my push bike with a 1960's dynamo is better :p

duncan
30th March 2005, 05:30 AM
My last One failed the MOT with dodgy headlamp alignment, but was repaired under waranty.
I think Steph failed on that one too.

I think the new halogen lamps are better though.

red_cooper
30th March 2005, 09:28 AM
mine was in at j'c's today and they arent able to sort the wind noise from drivers window , twats, also i asked them to check the lights as where ever i go folk always thought i ws on full beam until i flash back and totally blind them they did adjust them but to the opposite extreme now i can see F A in dip and need to drive every where in full beam as my little test run showed me tonight once it fell dark

wish they could get the window problem sorted out its been a drag- always seems to be that if i dont deal with Raymond at jc's nothing gets sorted he's the boy for getting ur car sorted out he is first class but the rest of them are numpties

Wul
30th March 2005, 06:19 PM
Red Cooper - re the wind noise - is it defo the window - it's just on my cooper i had the door adjusted many times and seals replaced to stop the road noise coming through at the bit where the door and window meet against the B pillar.

<BTW I read this thread thinking it was a new one and Rob was having these probs with his new MINI!!:I>

Burple
30th March 2005, 07:11 PM
quote:
<BTW I read this thread thinking it was a new one and Rob was having these probs with his new MINI!!:I>

Heh heh... me too!
Till I saw 2 posts by.. well.. me!! :D:D:D:D