PDA

View Full Version : Potential Gearchange Problem?

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 07:00 PM
I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that the change from second to third is baulking a bit when the 'box is cold, especially if pushing on a bit :(. Improves to 'as it should be' as the 'box warms, but this hasn't happened in the past.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar? Car is 2003 with only 10.5K. I know this box can be slightly 'notchy' in some cases, but mine's been fine before this. Maybe it thinks it's an old Ferrari... :cool:

Any ideas?

Neil and Lorna
23rd January 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Euan

My box was a bit notchy when it was new.

I got my dealer to give the linkages a bit of a massage with greasy hands which helped.:)

Maybe your linkages have become a little dry, and need a bit of tender loving care from your dealer. :D

Neil :cool:

GAJ
23rd January 2006, 07:52 PM
I've noticed this lately too, 2002 Cooper 25 000 miles. I've been hoping that it's just been down to the cold weather.

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 11:10 PM
Cheers guys -
Maybe the salt & crap from the roads is making things a bit 'sticky'? The roads 'round Lanarkshire were terrible for a few weeks. I'll keep my eye (or hand) on it and see if it persists, but methinks a wee trip to the Dealer is on the cards....

Craig
24th January 2006, 03:24 AM
I had this problem with my 03 Cooper. It was in 3 times for the fault.. (it was most noticeable between 2nd and 3rd and also selecting reverse). They lubricated and changed the linkage cables TWICE and the problem still persisted.

In the end I gave up with it as a tech from BMW UK came up from down south , drove it for 15 mins and said "there is no problem...":eek::evil::disapprove:

I let it be and it gradually got better, but every now and then it was a right pig... I found the solution - trade the car in!!;)

AeroJonny
24th January 2006, 09:05 AM
I get it a lot when changing down to 3rd, still happens sometimes 2nd-3rd. It's doing my head in

ELFMAN
25th January 2006, 05:48 PM
It seems to have been a bit better in the last couple of days, maybe something's been out of line and gone back.... but I am being more 'deliberate' when changing up, just to make sure it's going in. There is obviously an issue with some folks cars. Will keep you posted. Not trading it in though, Craig!