PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Spots!

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 02:09 AM
My front (O.E.fitted) Spotlights keep getting nasty surface rust on the chrome mounts :blackeye: - actual spots are OK - and I have to keep at them with metal polish. Someone mentioned to me on the last run that they've been 'upgraded' :cool: since, as the mounts were doing this. Can anyone confirm? Car & Spots are 2yrs old, so if they're better now, I'll get onto the Dealer for replacements under warranty.:D

Cheers!

Gismo
23rd January 2006, 03:13 AM
These are allegedly on back order for a recall, i've been waiting patiently to get mines replaced under warranty.
Go to your dealer and request replacements

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info! Will get on to dealer.
Cheers, Euan.

T6 KFR
23rd January 2006, 09:29 PM
So if i was to buy a set of front spots, I take it they should be ordered by an external source and not BMW dealer /garage?? Then fit them myself?

price list for them at the dealer is 140.00, does that include the fitting of them too then?

Gismo
23rd January 2006, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR
So if i was to buy a set of front spots, I take it they should be ordered by an external source and not BMW dealer /garage?? Then fit them myself?

price list for them at the dealer is 140.00, does that include the fitting of them too then?
I don't think BMW are in a position to install BMW approved spots until the rusting problem is sorted :( it may well be sorted now and i've simply not had my recall to ge t them replaced :evil:
In any case, you need a dealer to "switch" them on if you connect through the BMW loom

weefossy
25th January 2006, 03:42 AM
We have had 4 (BMW) spots on every car and the mounts have rusted every time. To date Sioban has "gone off the colour" and the cars have been changed before I have taken any action. I have just had a look at the spots on the new car, which were put on in October and they have slightly different brackets which look fine. Maybe as Alan says, BMW have now sorted the problem..

ELFMAN
25th January 2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks Weefossy, when I get time, I'll go and annoy the dealer.....

Sheilz
30th January 2006, 09:23 AM
I've already had two of my four spots changed because of rust. After reading this thread thought I'd do a spot ( how droll) check on them and lo and behold two o the little b****rs are rusty. :(

The Dogfather
30th January 2006, 05:23 PM
Chrome spots will always go rusty, it's just the nature of the material :(

They should be made with an alloy or stainless steel (pricey). Mine are aftermarket copies and they're rusty as well :(

S7JGW
30th January 2006, 11:10 PM
Minisport Quad lamps are stainless steel and have had no problems with rusting. And ive had them on the car for 1 year

ELFMAN
31st January 2006, 08:43 AM
BadDog - The chrome on my LAMPS (they're over 2 years old) is fine (around the lenses and the backs) - it's just the chrome bits of the brackets/supports that are misbehaving, so they're obviously not as well made as the spots.

I reckon I'll just scrub them every so often with a toothbrush and 'Solvol Autosol'.