PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood 10" Sub

Wul
18th January 2006, 11:53 PM
OK Audiophiles!

Got a 10" Kenwood KFC-W2509 sub and need an enclosure for it. Should it be a ported or sealed one? It will be going in the boot (loose, not mounted) of a Honda Accord saloon.:question::question:

Burple
19th January 2006, 12:21 AM
Well... now you're asking... ;);)

You have 3 choices really...
(actually 4, cos this sub can be used 'free air' too - but compared to in a box, it will sound pish) :blackeye:

Sealed box - produces tight, focused bass. The most accurate bass response of all box types, but requires more power. Recommended size for this sub is 0.8 cubic feet (internal)

Ported box - More efficient than a sealed box, so you get more bass SPL (sound pressure level)with a little less accuracy. Recommended size for this sub is 1.0 cubic feet (internal)

Bandpass box (which I have - A Vibe 10" one) - sealed/ported hybrid (a ported chamber houses a woofer that projects into the sealed area). Highly efficient, so you get lots of thump but lose a little accuracy. Size is a fair bit bigger than the other two (if you're seen mine) but it sounds awesome :D - This is the most difficult one to mount as well, cos you really need to build the box round it.

If I was you I'd probably get a decent two channel amp, bridge it to one mono channel and bung the sub in a sealed box

If it's any use, I've seen sealed boxes for sale in places such as AutoSave and <spits> Halfrauds..

/geek off

:D:D:D

Big Col
19th January 2006, 12:24 AM
Fek sake! That's all I'm saying!

Wul
19th January 2006, 01:02 AM
Cheers LnL - got a 400W bridgeable Kenwood KAC-6202 amp to drive the sub - will keep me beadies peeled for some cheap sealed enclosures - car audio direct have one for £29.95.

Col - go back to sleep!!8)

Burple
19th January 2006, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Fek sake! That's all I'm saying!

Wheesht lanky! :p:p

When I want tolerances for industrial pumps and pipework I'll rattle your cage
:D:D:p:p:p:clown::clown:

Big Col
19th January 2006, 04:05 PM
Aye but that's my job teeny. I get paid to know stuff like that. You two are geeky for free! ;):p:clown::D