PDA

View Full Version : Strutbrace

Mon the fish
18th January 2006, 05:27 AM
Anyone got a strutbrace fitted? Half thinking about one, will make turn in better etc etc, but I am a bit concerned about understeer, since stiffening up the front will ultimately give the front end less grip.

I can't stand understeer, so I was wondering if anyone has got any feedback? I've got the JCW suspension if that makes a difference :p

Craig
18th January 2006, 05:34 AM
Scottiecoop has one fitted..... she should be along shortly to give you some advice..;)

Scottie
18th January 2006, 05:49 AM
I've got the JCW suspension and the JCW strut brace.:cool: it's hard to tell really how much it may improve things for you as both were fitted on the car at the same time for me.

I did notice a huge improvement in car handling but think that's more down to the suspension than the strut brace. I don't really throw the car into corners to the cars limit to know what true effect the strut brace may or may not have. Sorry not much help.

john
18th January 2006, 06:03 AM
I dont think the strut brace will make any difference :eek:

Gismo
18th January 2006, 07:39 AM
Trust me, even if you have the sports plus you don't need the strut brace

Mini Me
18th January 2006, 08:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I don't really throw the car into corners to the cars limit to know what true effect the strut brace may or may not have.

I did, both car's before Sc got em !!!!!! :eek::blackeye::p:p:p:D;)

john
18th January 2006, 08:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

I don't really throw the car into corners to the cars limit to know what true effect the strut brace may or may not have.

You did?? does the Union know about this:D

Scottie
18th January 2006, 08:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

oh really :evil::p;)

AN03REW
18th January 2006, 09:17 AM
I dont know about handling. But they look well cool!!

ScottishcooperS
19th January 2006, 12:33 AM
Iv got the JCW strut and Eibach coilovers and my car handles really
well but as said above i think its the suspension that makes the
real difference! And also as stated above the strut brace does look
really good, although i had to modify my Alta CAI box to get the JCW
strut to fit.

Willie

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 02:30 AM
I've got the JCW Suspension and Strutbrace, both fitted at the same time with my JCW Brakes. I have to agree with Scotticoop, the suspension's definitely an improvement over "Sports Plus" (all the performance, but with no 'harshness/jiggle'). As for the Strut Brace, it doesn't seem to do any harm with this set-up (ie no increased understeer), but it's hard to judge as everything was done simultaneously. The car's so stiff to start with yhat a strutbrace is probably just 'over-egging the pudding'. But it does look good (there go all my 'Go, not Show' principles!).

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the 'brace picks up a white deposit where it's in contact with the under-bonnet soundproofing - as if there's some sort of reaction going on. This is easily cleaned off with metal polish, but could be unsightly if left unattended. Overall, I'd say don't bother with the strutbrace, but look at the suspension and get advice on that, as you REALLY will notice an improvement there. Obviously, Tyres will play a part in this - I'm on O.E.16" Runflats which aren't too bad as a compromise of handling/ride and 'get you home' ability. Hope some of that's of use to you!

ScottishcooperS
23rd January 2006, 09:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

I've got the JCW Suspension and Strutbrace, both fitted at the same time with my JCW Brakes. I have to agree with Scotticoop, the suspension's definitely an improvement over "Sports Plus" (all the performance, but with no 'harshness/jiggle'). As for the Strut Brace, it doesn't seem to do any harm with this set-up (ie no increased understeer), but it's hard to judge as everything was done simultaneously. The car's so stiff to start with yhat a strutbrace is probably just 'over-egging the pudding'. But it does look good (there go all my 'Go, not Show' principles!).

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the 'brace picks up a white deposit where it's in contact with the under-bonnet soundproofing - as if there's some sort of reaction going on. This is easily cleaned off with metal polish, but could be unsightly if left unattended. Overall, I'd say don't bother with the strutbrace, but look at the suspension and get advice on that, as you REALLY will notice an improvement there. Obviously, Tyres will play a part in this - I'm on O.E.16" Runflats which aren't too bad as a compromise of handling/ride and 'get you home' ability. Hope some of that's of use to you!

I noticed this and its annoying!! What stuff do you
use to clean it off mate?

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 06:21 PM
I use "Solvol Autosol", it's a white paste in a tube, and it takes it off no bother. You'll notice it creates a lot of dark grey deposit off the 'brace, but doesn't seem to do it any harm. I reckon "Brasso" or the like would do the trick if it's only slight. Solvol Brings your tailpipes up a treat too! I'm on 5% commission from Solvol. I wish.

But as I said previously, I think the white stuff would be a bit troublesome if it was left for a while. If it's a chemical reaction it might end up pitting the surface of the Strutbrace. Who knows? Maybe those of us with JCW 'Braces should keep a 'long-term' eye on this in case it turns into a warranty issue with discolouration etc, 'cos there's obviously something not quite right. It makes a bit of a white mark on the under-bonnet soundproofing too - this can be brushed off, but over the long term, this will rough up the surface of the 'proofing and make it a bit tatty. Every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

ScottishcooperS
23rd January 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for that ELFMAN! Hope it doesnt turn into a warrenty issue. Im away to
go and get some solvol or Brasso then! :D

ELFMAN
23rd January 2006, 11:14 PM
If you get Brasso, it goes lovely with a wee dash of Soda and some lemon. Leaves your fillings gleaming.

ScottishcooperS
24th January 2006, 01:05 AM
ha ha not bad mate!!