PDA

View Full Version : Go Karts Or Similar

Gismo
18th October 2003, 10:33 PM
Instead of thrashing our beloved MINI's around back country roads would anyone be interested in a fun day or night out Go Karting, don't know where, don't know when, as yet, until numbers and ideas are batted around.
For example, i would prefer inside go karts that allow for some kind of racing, i'm prepared to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

If anyone can suggest suitable venues i'll see about prices etc

It won't likely be this year as a few things are scheduled already, but at least it'll give me time to work on it, so, come on all you budding racers, lets see if we can beat Zoooooom on a track :eek:;)

Bonnie Scotland

minidriver#1
18th October 2003, 11:12 PM
yup yup! been once and had a great time.

john
18th October 2003, 11:14 PM
What ever do you mean Alan??

Seriously though YES I am up for that:)

That way I can finaly come in contact with the people who get in the way instead of just getting my car stone chipped trying to get past some of these slower Works and BBR Cooper 's's:D:D:D

You know who you are:clown:

Gismo
18th October 2003, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

yup yup! been once and had a great time.
Good, where did you go for your fun :cool:

Bonnie Scotland

knaone
18th October 2003, 11:40 PM
is there not a place near Errol that does it? there used to be but i'm nto sure if its there or not still

duncan
18th October 2003, 11:58 PM
Good idea! Sounds like more fun than hanging about Halfords Car Park to me ;)

I've been at Errol too, but not sure if its still open.
There's a Kids Place, Noahs Ark, in Perth that does Indoor Karting.
The Karts are ok, but there was quite a difference in performance between them

Also been to some indoor centre to the south-east of Edinburgh, but that was a good few years ago

Here's a link to a list of Indoor Centres
http://www.activitypoint.co.uk/cgi-bin/list.cgi?r=scotland&c=A13

Fontal
19th October 2003, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea although I think I would fly down for this one and hitch a ride with someone:eek:.
I've only been once to the one in dyce, great fun:D:D

Julz
19th October 2003, 12:43 AM
i think errol is still on the go, there's a place in Kirkcaldy too, Ewan might be the person to comment as I know he's been karting recently!!:D

macblob
19th October 2003, 02:12 AM
Theres a karting place outside edinburgh too, just down the a1 towards haddington

knaone
19th October 2003, 02:39 AM
i managed to find some details online about Errol... its called....

The Widowmaker
Tayside Karting Centre
Errol Airfield
Errol
Tayside PH2 7TB
Outdoor 800 metre track
Details: Tel 01821 642040

From that it sounds like its outdoor tho, and with this time of year could they guarentee if it would be on or off? though wet racing may be an experience :p

GAJ
19th October 2003, 04:58 AM
This sounds good to me - This is the place on the A1 outside Edinburgh - http:///www.raceland.co.uk

Julz
19th October 2003, 07:05 AM
I've heard that the karts at Errol are the super duper speedy ones!!:clown:

Krusty
19th October 2003, 08:00 PM
Me & Zippy will definitely be up for this one

Gismo
19th October 2003, 08:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Krusty

Me & Zippy will definitely be up for this one
:blackeye: :evil: ;)
So, does that mean you'll be interested in attending the Go Karts

Bonnie Scotland

sh@z
20th October 2003, 02:20 AM
yeah, sounds like a great idea Alan ;)... count me in

Great idea.... Alan.... Well i never :p

minidriver#1
20th October 2003, 02:42 AM
there is the one at errol which is meant to be good, the one i went to was in Falkirk :S it was bloomin freezing but the thrill was immense.

Burple
20th October 2003, 03:56 AM
DEFINITELY up for this one!!!

The place in Edinburgh has 2 tracks.. indoor and outdoor..
The Indoor one is a bit wee tho
Kirkaldy is an excellent long track! :D They do regular karting and (if you get enough poeple) they also do 2 1/2 hour endurance races with 3 to a team and pit stops!! think it work out at about £35 per person for one of those...
Karts go up t about 40mph... which is pretty quick with yer @ss that close to the concrete! Pretty good for some happy tail out action too!! :D
Kart-Start I think it's called... I'd recommend that one! Fairly central too...
Oh yeah.. that's an indoor one :D

Wul
20th October 2003, 04:45 PM
I'd be intersted in this too chaps - i've been to Raceland at Macmerry, East Lothian a few times - it has indoor single engine 40mph carts and outdoor twin engined 70mph one! :D

Another place i've been is http://www.racingkarts.co.uk/ in livingston - another 40mph indoor track - this is an old bus garage with a concrete floor - you only need to brake for two corners in the whole lap :D and the joints in the concrete make for interesting cornering in the flat oot section! :D

I know there is the one in kirkcaldy, one in cambuslang, glasgow and also the outdoor ones at Knockhill.

One thing though - the grandprix things are £35-40 pp and require a 50% deposit up front with a minimum of about 20 people - each person usually is guaranteed about 6 race and a semi-final.

zimbo
21st October 2003, 02:45 AM
Me me me.... count me in for sure. Went karting in Kirkaldy with Ewan on the indoor track last December what a FANTASTIC night we had that night I'll tell you!! :p:p:D

Yeh bring it on.... :D
It'll be bye bye zoooooom....................... :D

zippy
22nd October 2003, 01:30 AM
Oh Baby.

Right up my street.......
I love driving go-Karts....
Can i Come? Can I? Can I?

Tony
24th October 2003, 04:40 PM
I dont want to put a dampner on any of your Kart-Start experiences, but..........
.......Please..AVOID KART-START LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I used to work for them. The karts are really not the best, and the staff that they employ are invariably not karting enthuisiasts but local neds hell-bent on taking all of the fun out of the experience. They dont know the rules, they dont want to know the rules. They see their moment of power and stamp on anybody deemed to be getting anything like rowdy. A £30.00 karting experience can become VERY expensive per metre travlled if you are hauled off after the 1st or 2nd lap. And Ive seen it happen time and time again. Its not only me who thinks it, as when the Oil companies around here are organising corporate days out now, they would rather travel all the way to knockhill to use their out door track, and where racing has not been lost in the bid to take money off of the client for an ultimately tame and boring driving experience.

SORRY.......just my 2c worth, but I think its valid. There is a track, out to the west of Glasgow, which is very good. I forget its name, but its a fair size, and the karts are quick. There is a long curved straight allowing a good 6-7 seconds of foot to the floor stuff. The track at Knockhill is wicked (especially in the wet - ive got the trophies to prove it) :)

Ill be up for some karting fun, dpending apon where and when it is. All i ask is that you cross off Kart-Start Kirkcaldy and Dyce from your list, as its really not worth the money, when there are SO MANY better venues out there.

Gismo
25th October 2003, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the comments and venues, i'm away at the moment and will sort something out when i get home sometime next week.
Keep on posting though as i have not done any karting in the last 5 years or so.

I will post up a list of peeps indicating they want to participate

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
25th October 2003, 04:09 AM
Apparently for a central location, the best karting venue would be Haddington?? But errol is the biz, just wrap up warm!!;):clown:

broken_brian
2nd November 2003, 12:03 AM
try scotkart. They have a place in cambuslang and clydebank they are both very good tracks but the one in cambuslang has a FLYOVER made out of shiney slippy wood. Which means u can go very fast off the flyover sideways:D

Mini Martyn
4th November 2003, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, youll never guess, but Ill be up for this one too. :p

Their is a couple of places in Glasgow:

http://www.scotkart.co.uk/

BOB
6th November 2003, 06:35 AM
Can I Come Karting!!???? :D

Gismo
6th November 2003, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by BOB

Can I Come Karting!!???? :D
Of course, i'm gonna sort out the list soon, see what places need what amount of people etc.
I'm gonna aim for early Feb 2004

Bonnie Scotland

Davidson2
8th November 2003, 07:52 AM
Me and the Mrs (she does exist honest:eek:) are up for this one, if location is within say... Scotland...:D

malross
14th November 2003, 05:34 AM
I'd be up for some of this too. :) Was going to try out Scotkart earlier this year, but the fates conspired against it. If there's any choice in the matter, though, I'd prefer an outdoor track. They're SO much more fun. :)

Mal.

seany
14th November 2003, 10:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by malross

I'd be up for some of this too. :) Was going to try out Scotkart earlier this year, but the fates conspired against it. If there's any choice in the matter, though, I'd prefer an outdoor track. They're SO much more fun. :)

Mal.

welcome to NMS, what do you drive?

malross
19th November 2003, 09:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by seany

welcome to NMS, what do you drive?

Cheers for the welcome and sorry for the delayed reply (I thought I'd get emails keeping my informed about responses). :)

Anyway, I've got an MCS. No special kit on it yet, mind. Unless you count the near-standard bodykit. Got some Mintex pads and braided brake lines waiting to be fitted to the front, though. Also on the lookout for non-run-flat recommendations for 17" rims - my first set of fronts are almost dead and I fancy tyres with better handling characteristics. :)

Mal.

seany
19th November 2003, 09:59 PM
quote:Cheers for the welcome and sorry for the delayed reply (I thought I'd get emails keeping my informed about responses). :)

Anyway, I've got an MCS. No special kit on it yet, mind. Unless you count the near-standard bodykit. Got some Mintex pads and braided brake lines waiting to be fitted to the front, though. Also on the lookout for non-run-flat recommendations for 17" rims - my first set of fronts are almost dead and I fancy tyres with better handling characteristics. :)

Mal.

any photo's of your mini:)

malross
26th November 2003, 05:41 AM
Aye, one or two. Best place to look is in my mini2.com gallery:

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/gallery_4063.html

Not the greatest pics ever and not all my car, but the four from Skye near the end are me.

Mal.

P.S. Sorry again for the delay in reply. Does this place really not notify you? I guess not, as I'm getting swet FA through, even after changing my email address. :(

Gismo
26th November 2003, 05:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by malross
P.S. Sorry again for the delay in reply. Does this place really not notify you? I guess not, as I'm getting swet FA through, even after changing my email address. :(
I believe that the e-mail system is not working yet, watch this space and MMM will answer :)

Bonnie Scotland

Monsta Mo Mini
26th November 2003, 07:17 AM
The answer is that there is no email system at the moment and probably won't be until I move server again. Sorry!

Mini Martyn
4th January 2004, 04:28 AM
Hello every one just thought that I would up date the info on Scot Kart in Cambuslang, was their today with 9 freinds and was a wee bit dissapointed as we did not get all on at once, one group of 5 and the ofther of 4. Was a great day though first round is £13 then you second round is £11 and then our third round was £9, great fun as you get about 10 - 15 mins racing - enough time for some of the boys to crash!! :I

Well can wait for the mini kart day.

Have we decided where yet?

Gismo
4th January 2004, 04:58 AM
Very sorry peeps, what with the recent family bereavement and a subsequent serious illness in the family i have not put any effort into this :(
To be honest it looks unlikely that i will manage anything in the short term

I hope you all understand

Bonnie Scotland

Big Col
4th January 2004, 06:02 AM
We all do Alan. I also think I can speak for us all by offering our best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to the family member involved.

Col

Mini Martyn
7th January 2004, 07:23 PM
Alan sorry to hear about your bereavment and illness in the family, I hope that you all get better soon.

Look forward to seening you soon.