PDA

View Full Version : DAB Aerial

GAJ
11th January 2006, 09:19 PM
Need some advice from anyone that knows more about DAB aerials than I do. I had been thinking of purchasing the type that simply sticks on the inside of the windscreen but just came across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAB-adapter-for-normal-car-antennas_W0QQitemZ5851986252QQcategoryZ1498QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem) one.

I'm not convinced that this will work particularly well but suspect that the internal windscreen aerials aren't great either. I have heard that a good option is to fit an aerial inside the rear bumper but this seems like too much hassle, I'm looking for an easy option that works reasonably well.

Any information/experiences welcome!

Gismo
11th January 2006, 09:37 PM
Contact John direct or mikeythemini on here or Mini2

GAJ
11th January 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm really looking for a quick answer today so I can order; hoping to get it all fitted at the weekend.

Gismo
11th January 2006, 10:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
I'm really looking for a quick answer today so I can order; hoping to get it all fitted at the weekend.
Phone Mike at his shop, if he's got what you're looking for he'll post it today and you'll get it tomorrow
0870 360 9599

GAJ
11th January 2006, 10:22 PM
Mike's too expensive! Already sourced and ordered everything I need from cheaper places (fascia adapter, aux in cable), just looking for any personal experiences regarding aerials before I order that!

Monsta Mo Mini
11th January 2006, 10:30 PM
Gary - i was down at Ray Smith's last week asking about just such a thing. They might be worth a shout.

Duncan Stewart
12th January 2006, 10:45 PM
Don't buy the internal stick on type Gaj. I got one with my radio and it was rubbish.
Gave up in end and just used the FM radio but would be interested in your solution if you find one.

GAJ
12th January 2006, 10:53 PM
The Ray Smith shop recommended the stick on one!

However, I've taken a gamble and am going to try the adapter thingy. If it doesn't work it will be going straight back on eBay!

I doubt I will have all the stuff I need to fit it this weekend though but watch this space.

john
12th January 2006, 11:16 PM
I agree that the stick-on one is crap.

I was going to fit a roof mount to my works van but tried a mag-mount first just to see if DAB was any good and the mag-mount actually works brilliant and its not even on the outside of the van its just sitting in the back between the front seats:)

GAJ
18th January 2006, 06:50 PM
Fitted this yesterday and guess what? It works perfectly!:D No one is more surprised than me, I had already phoned Ray Smith to check they had the windscreen ones in stock as I didn't have much confidence in this thing. If anyone is considering fitting a DAB radio (I fitted a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB 53) this is highly recommended, no need for any extra wiring or a second aerial and it's cheap!
The only problem I had with the install is that the aux-in adapter cable I bought isn't working, I think it must just be a faulty lead so I'll need to return it for a replacement but I'm not too bothered at the moment, it's great being able to listen to BBC 6 Music in the car!:cool: