PDA

View Full Version : got new 17" bad boys

bobafet
11th January 2006, 07:53 PM
got them this morning, very very shinny, as i really dont have a clue about cars im going to ask which is probably a very dumb question, will all tyres have the same pressure on them so that when i put them onto the car ill have to adjust the preasure at the garage?

they are run fltas so not sure if its different wheels for back or front, or if they will be the same and ill just top up the air at the garage, but can you do that with run flats?

bare with me, in these hard times..

Scottie
11th January 2006, 08:01 PM
think they will be directional tyres should show you on the side wall.

They've got a arrow pointing in the rotation they should go.

bobafet
11th January 2006, 08:08 PM
ok found that bit, but which is front and back?
or does it matter

also can you top up the air on run flats?

Burple
11th January 2006, 08:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by bobafet

got them this morning, very very shinny, as i really dont have a clue about cars im going to ask which is probably a very dumb question, will all tyres have the same pressure on them so that when i put them onto the car ill have to adjust the preasure at the garage?
they are run fltas so not sure if its different wheels for back or front, or if they will be the same and ill just top up the air at the garage, but can you do that with run flats?
bare with me, in these hard times..

Yes... (I think that's an all encompassing answer ;))

Just treat them like normal wheels and tyres. Like all tyres, the pressure in each one is a separate entity :D and may have gone down if the the wheels have been sitting for any length of time. To be safe, if you can, take them to a garage and check the pressures before you put them on the car. As an example, I recently put my nice shiny 17s on my new toy, and they'd been sitting in a cupboard for 6 months, the pressure in each one was lower than it should have been (down to about 25-27psi), and each one was different. As a guide, with 17" Runflats, about 32-33psi should be just about spot on pressure-wise :D

And don't worry about mixing the wheels back and front, but check the tread depth. If there are two that are much different from the rest, you might want to put those two together either on the front or rear..

Oh yeah.. and what SC said about directional arrows :D

:D:D

Scottie
11th January 2006, 08:17 PM

ok found that bit, but which is front and back?
or does it matter

also can you top up the air on run flats?

does not matter about back or front but it does matter which side you put them on. So you get the rotation of the tyre correct.

The arrow point should be when fitted on the car pointing in the direction of the rotation the wheel would make when on the ground turning.

Sorry if this is not what you mean:):I

bobafet
11th January 2006, 08:24 PM
its cool, i knew about the direcional part of the tyres, made that mistake when i put new tyres onto the vespa many moons agao and it was very wet that night, got a sore head and arm for my troubles!

ill nip down to the local garage and check the pressure on them

cheers

bobafet
11th January 2006, 09:18 PM
ok, as the heavens have just opened in glasgow, i went down to kwik fit to ask about putting the tyres on, they'll charge me £20 which is fine, but the guy asked if the wheels need spacers??

do i need these?the wheels i have are
Mini 17" Ronal Split Rim alloy wheels.

T6 KFR
11th January 2006, 09:26 PM
Dont think you need spacers. Only really need them when you fitting the wrong offset wheel to your car. Cuase your alloys are mini alloys it will be A ok!

bobafet
11th January 2006, 09:27 PM
i thought that, as i havent seen anything about spacers before when it concerns mini alloys,

thanks

Burple
11th January 2006, 09:30 PM

ok, as the heavens have just opened in glasgow, i went down to kwik fit to ask about putting the tyres on, they'll charge me £20 which is fine, but the guy asked if the wheels need spacers??
do i need these?the wheels i have are
Mini 17" Ronal Split Rim alloy wheels.

Umm... pass!

Where did you get 'em? They should be able to tell you if you do or not. But if normal 17" runflats are being fitted I don't see why they would, unless they're super-wide, or the offset of the wheels is wrong.
did you get the wheels new, specifically for the car?

T6 KFR
11th January 2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah just say no bobafet. Kwik Fit are just trying to get more money out of you.

You dont need spacers at all

Big Col
11th January 2006, 10:12 PM
At the risk of asking a stupid question, if you take the tyres to a garag4e and check the pressure before you put them on aint they going to be a higher pressure once you put them on and have the weight of the car on them?

Gismo
11th January 2006, 10:16 PM
What's a garag4e :p not a stupid question :I the tyre will deform, but, only at the bottom, boom boom, the overall internal air space will remain constant thus keeping the pressures the same, could be different for a hummer though ;)

S7JGW
12th January 2006, 01:14 AM
Na i think Cols right becuase the tyre will deform at the bottom as you put weight on it,giving a smaller volume inside the tyre. As the air can not escape the pressure will increase
Jim

Burple
12th January 2006, 01:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by S7JGW

Na i think Cols right becuase the tyre will deform at the bottom as you put weight on it,giving a smaller volume inside the tyre. As the air can not escape the pressure will increase
Jim

I think the best answer might be to inflate them to a sensible pressure at the garage (how about 28-30psi?), put the wheels on, then drive to the garage, and then check and adjust them to what you want them to be at.

Oh.. and check and RE-check the wheel nuts that you've just put on!

Anyway, all this is incidental if you're getting a tyre place to put the tyres on. They'll fit and balance the tyre and inflate it for you!
(Obviously I would still check it myself.. not that I don't trust those exhaust-monkeys.. ;))

bobafet
12th January 2006, 02:47 AM
right the wheels are on and looking great!!

a litlle problem though, about 3 weeks ago i got my rear left tyre replaced and it seems that the guys who fixed it only put in 3 wheel nuts instead of 4, or one has come out???

where do i get a wheel nut and what size, do i just buy a set of 4??
cheers

Big Gordy
12th January 2006, 04:26 AM
Jings:eek: Who would have thought putting a set of wheels on would be soooooooooooooooooooo complicated:D;)Easy solution to the missing wheel bolt....buy a set of locking wheel bolts. You'll need them to keep your new wheels and tyre safe anyway:pHalfrauds do the excellent MacGaurd range before you ask:p:D:approve:

bobafet
12th January 2006, 06:28 AM
CHEERS.

bobafet
12th January 2006, 06:31 AM
first pic of new wheels, will get some better ones done in the morning and if it ever stops raining

Gismo
12th January 2006, 07:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by S7JGW
Jim
Not so sure, lol, as the tyre deforms at the bottom the edges also swell out maintaining the air volume :p
Nice wheels by the way :cool:

MartinSullivan
12th January 2006, 05:42 PM
I think Bonnie is right - when you have a spare wheel you set it to the same pressure as the road wheels