PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Remap

Adam MCS
10th January 2006, 09:05 AM
I've got a mate with a mini cooper, was just wandering what sort of maps are available for it? What sort of power gains can you expect and what price?

Cheers

sleepyrascal
10th January 2006, 09:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Adam MCS

I've got a mate with a mini cooper, was just wandering what sort of maps are available for it? What sort of power gains can you expect and what price?

Cheers

MTH remap is what I have.

think its about £210 now but NMS members get a special price.

As for power gains, I haven't tested mine. It certainly feels more nimble but the biggest noticable change is the power through the gears. A cooper will leave an S lagging on the country roads when its standard, but with MTH, the S doesnt have a chance! The gear change is much more smooth! My map is being upgraded next week so i'll be able to tell you more then.

KenL
10th January 2006, 05:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

A cooper will leave an S lagging on the country roads when its standard, but with MTH, the S doesnt have a chance!

You are having a laugh, right?

Cooper_si
10th January 2006, 05:12 PM
he is definitly not kidding ;):D

Crombers
10th January 2006, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

A cooper will leave an S lagging on the country roads when its standard, but with MTH, the S doesnt have a chance!

It has been mentioned before :p;)

Seem to remember one of last years runs where a modified (pulley & exhaust) 'S' could not match a standard Cooper on the twisties :approve:

BonnieScotland , John , anybody wish to comment :question: as to why this phenomenon seems to be :D

Scottie
10th January 2006, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

It has been mentioned before :p;)

Seem to remember one of last years runs where a modified (pulley & exhaust) 'S' could not match a standard Cooper on the twisties :approve:

BonnieScotland , John , anybody wish to comment :question: as to why this phenomenon seems to be :D

well I think it is all down to the driver. Me in my JCW S could never keep up with say John in a bog standard cooper.
I just don't have the confidence to go round corners at a great speed.

That is what I think it is down to anyway.:)

Adam MCS
10th January 2006, 08:03 PM
Well I've had them both, I have to say the handling on a cooper is sharper, but I never expected it to beat an S on a country road - I just thought the pure power of the S would give it the advantage. You learn somethin new every day!!

sleepyrascal
10th January 2006, 08:32 PM

Eh... No!! The S is a great car for going fast on a motorway, but the cooper is far better in the twisty stuff. Well, in my opinion! You don't need a supercharger to go fast on country roads.

I'm more than willing to prove it :D:D

T6 KFR
10th January 2006, 09:40 PM
Me too.

Lets have cooper drivers Vs Cooper S....saying that this seems to be getting somewhere that may be a bit too dangerous:)

Burple
10th January 2006, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Me too.

Lets have cooper drivers Vs Cooper S....saying that this seems to be getting somewhere that may be a bit too dangerous:)

Unless of course, everyone interested goes to a Hot Hatch meeting at Knockhill or somewhere... ;);):D:D:cool::cool:

T6 KFR
11th January 2006, 12:04 AM
LNL that sounds like one hell of a plan.

Knockhill do discount deals if you collect enough club car members say like NMS and will give NMS (mini's) access to knockhill on our own.

Lets try and get this arranged perhaps - anyone think its worth putting up a post to arrange this for Spring / Summer time. ???

If i recall knockhill will charge approx 30 - 50 quid per car if an average of 20 cars tunr up (guess from memory:I)

redpoint rallying
11th January 2006, 02:46 AM
Adam,

Speak to Simon at www.essentialmini.co.uk regarding MTH re-maps. He does the best.

I am using his re-mapping on the rally car (its a Cooper)and it is superb. We wanted power to come in at specific rev ranges and much (MUCH!) more torque lower down. The maps we have used have been very good indeed and we have had huge improvements on each rally following each upgraded re-map.

Simon will keep you right and the mapping will be personal to your car, not like a 'chip'so you will get the best out of it. Most 'chips', while they can be good, are aimed for use at a particular model range instead of an individual car.

Did I say speak to Simon at Essentialmini?

Cheers

M

redpoint rallying
11th January 2006, 02:49 AM
Oh aye, Adam...with a few other modifications, coupled with a car specific MTH re-map, the rallycar is about 140 - 145 bhp with masses of torque low down. You may not want this map for a road car but it is a fine example of what Simon will do for you.

M

MartinSullivan
11th January 2006, 05:22 PM
Speaking of which Mart - I have a new map for the rally car , Ill be in touch ;)

redpoint rallying
12th January 2006, 01:40 AM
Superb old son!

M

AN03REW
12th January 2006, 02:36 AM
I think it really is down to the driver cause i could keep up with my mates in there coopers. Now that its chipped I think il be saying bye bye to them! you've got to watch tho. I rolled my first mini 3 weeks after i got it with 2500 miles on it! Any one want a drag race against a mini one then some back roads theres plenty around peterhead lol. Id love to get a one on one with a cooper!

sleepyrascal
12th January 2006, 04:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by AN03REW

I think it really is down to the driver cause i could keep up with my mates in there coopers. Now that its chipped I think il be saying bye bye to them! you've got to watch tho. I rolled my first mini 3 weeks after i got it with 2500 miles on it! Any one want a drag race against a mini one then some back roads theres plenty around peterhead lol. Id love to get a one on one with a cooper!

MiniMadTez's ONE was slightly quicker from 20 to 70 than my cooper. At the time my coop was standard but she had a superchip. Now with MTH on the cooper i would imagine it is slightly quicker than the ONE.

AN03REW
12th January 2006, 07:28 AM
Well youl have to try it out and see the differance your MTH has made. Does any one know how long it takes a cooper from 0 to 110mph?? cause am about 19 secs to 90mph,25 to 100mph and 33 to 110mph. Ive driven a cooper before and am sure it pulled better from about 90 to 120mph.

sleepyrascal
13th January 2006, 05:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by AN03REW

Well youl have to try it out and see the differance your MTH has made. Does any one know how long it takes a cooper from 0 to 110mph?? cause am about 19 secs to 90mph,25 to 100mph and 33 to 110mph. Ive driven a cooper before and am sure it pulled better from about 90 to 120mph.

After 110 the cooper really starts to fade. It will hapily sit at 120 but its screaming!

T6 KFR
13th January 2006, 09:44 PM
Is sitting at 120mph in a cooper screaming in your High Way Code Ewan???;)

sleepyrascal
14th January 2006, 01:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by T6 KFR

Is sitting at 120mph in a cooper screaming in your High Way Code Ewan???;)

No. In my highway code it says that should you exceed 70mph and contine on to 120mph, you should proceed to 130mph as there is only 10mph in it and 130 gets you there quicker :D

Your front S bumper is now with John ;)

T6 KFR
14th January 2006, 04:22 AM
Cheers mate, Ill txt John and see when I can pop along.

Thanks for that!

Think ill stick to the 30mph and not 120mph when going to see the bumper!!:)