PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought Playmini - Where / Who Fit it???

T6 KFR
8th January 2006, 11:52 PM
I have just placed my order for a slash cut playmini exhaust..should be here in few days . Cant wait !!!

Those from Aberdeen that have had aftermarket exhausts fitted to their mini's where did you go and trust ???????

I need someone to install it and dont want no cowboys working on my pride and joy:)

sleepyrascal
9th January 2006, 01:47 AM
It's not a big job. I attempted it myself but couldn't get the car high enough off the ground. So a certain ex-playmini employee gave me a hand and a lend of a grinder!

I'm sure he would help you to.. maybe..

bpirie1000
9th January 2006, 05:49 PM
Go for it there not that hard to fit..

Angle grinder?? Bizarre.

Anyways if your stuck give us a shout.

KINGHORN
9th January 2006, 06:01 PM
if you can get the car on ramps its a easy job, would have offerd to do it myself as i have lost count of the amount of exhausts i have fitted, but im away on thursday, but if you need any info just email, but as sleepy says, john is your man for doing it when the car is only on jacks. lol

GAJ
9th January 2006, 06:54 PM
I tried fitting mine myself but couldn't get enough leverage on the two bolts which hold the front pipe onto the cat; mine were rusted solid and I only had the car on wee drive on ramps. I'm not sure why you would want a grinder - should just be a simple unbolt/bolt on job. Was it problems with a rusty rear hanger? Mine was almost rusted through and twisted pretty badly as I was unbolting it. Any wee garage will fit it for you for £20 or £30, simple 10 minute job once you have access.

MartinSullivan
9th January 2006, 06:57 PM
The playminis now come with both types of hangers (for late and early cars) so you have to grind one set off - hence the grinder ;)

Burple
9th January 2006, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

The playminis now come with both types of hangers (for late and early cars) so you have to grind one set off - hence the grinder ;)

really??
Hmm...

What's the difference between the early and later hangers?
I've got my exhaust with hangers to fit an '03 car... is there any chance it'll fit the new ('05) build? or will I (as happened with the stereo harness adapter :D) need a new one?

Ooh.. now hold on... my hanger (that I have) fits over the exhaust, and is removable... Have tey changed them THAT much?

Cooper_si
9th January 2006, 09:01 PM
reallllly easy to fit :D

Make sure if you do fit yourself...that your get two bolts (with nuts and washers) so you can fit the centre section to the cat. Playmini dont supply these. Getting the original nuts off the centre section studs can be a pain too...as they weld themselves on. Also get a new front section exhaust gasket that fits between that and the catalyst to prevent "Blowing".

Simon

sleepyrascal
9th January 2006, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I tried fitting mine myself but couldn't get enough leverage on the two bolts which hold the front pipe onto the cat; mine were rusted solid and I only had the car on wee drive on ramps. I'm not sure why you would want a grinder - should just be a simple unbolt/bolt on job. Was it problems with a rusty rear hanger? Mine was almost rusted through and twisted pretty badly as I was unbolting it. Any wee garage will fit it for you for £20 or £30, simple 10 minute job once you have access.

Bri, who said anything about an angle grinder??

The front join was ceased. John and myself were hauling at it with a wrench for ages (and neither of us are puny guys:approve:) so John used a grinder on it. :D

T6 KFR
9th January 2006, 09:39 PM
My My I am very confused....angle grinders, wrong hangers etc.... think it may be a garage job at KwitFit:eek:

Although I may give it a go myself . I have axel stand and ramps so might manage.

Let you know the outcome and post some pics soon

sleepyrascal
9th January 2006, 10:14 PM
Dont go to kwik fit. They will charge you a small fortune!

It really honestly isnt that difficult!!!! The hanger is not a problem. If you have to change it, its as easy as changing a lightbulb!

As for the grinder, that was only because my bolts were welded on with rust! Yours might be the same but its not a big deal!

MartinSullivan
9th January 2006, 11:15 PM
Certainly for the S the old hanger set up was that the hangers all faced towards the front of the car, as of Jan 04 the two inner hangers were turned 90 degrees and now point towards the centre of the car. Im not sure if this applys to the Cooper/One.

Im sure that Nenahs S playmini exhaust came with both types of hangers on - and John had to get one set removed.

People over on mini2 have fitted pre facelift exhausts to facelift models so it is possible but without seeing it in the flesh Im not sure what is involved.

Burple
10th January 2006, 12:16 AM

Certainly for the S the old hanger set up was that the hangers all faced towards the front of the car, as of Jan 04 the two inner hangers were turned 90 degrees and now point towards the centre of the car. Im not sure if this applys to the Cooper/One.

Im sure that Nenahs S playmini exhaust came with both types of hangers on - and John had to get one set removed.

People over on mini2 have fitted pre facelift exhausts to facelift models so it is possible but without seeing it in the flesh Im not sure what is involved.

Cool...
well next Saturday I'll be able to tell you! :D Parents Driveway will be workshop as ever :D
Playmini exhaust for an 03 car will be fitted to an 05 car! I'll keep you all posted :D
Can't imagine they'd change the exhaust hanger manufacture really? that would mean two types of exhaust for each model across the range...

MartinSullivan
10th January 2006, 12:19 AM
Believe me they are definitely different on the S - thats why the Fiona had problems with her works exhaust , what I dont know is if its just the S

Burple
10th January 2006, 12:27 AM

Believe me they are definitely different on the S - thats why the Fiona had problems with her works exhaust , what I dont know is if its just the S

hmm.. maybe see if I can get a look under the car before the weekend to compare the two setups then.... :D

john
10th January 2006, 02:16 AM

Only on the 's';)

T6 KFR
10th January 2006, 09:43 PM
Well you never know till you try....and thats what ill do to install my playmini when the company ive ordered from have more in stock Boo Hoo:(

john
10th January 2006, 09:50 PM

There is two types of hangers for the Cooper but only the very early coopers had a different set up,but the playmini rear hanger is a strap and can be changed.Thats why they ask you when you buy which type you have.:)

T6 KFR
10th January 2006, 09:53 PM
Yip i believe thats true... they asked me if a had a pre / post 2002 model.

Mine luckly is a 2003 model

Burple
10th January 2006, 11:04 PM
quote:
There is two types of hangers for the Cooper but only the very early coopers had a different set up,but the playmini rear hanger is a strap and can be changed.Thats why they ask you when you buy which type you have.:)

Cool! :D

Still got the same one I got from you..
..and it's STILL shiny :p:D
(yeah, ok, so it's been sitting in a shed for 6 months :p)

T6 KFR
17th January 2006, 08:42 PM
Right folks, I picked up my new shiney exhaust last night...I am very impressed with the craftsmanship...execellent value for money.

In the end I have opted to get a garage / exhaust fitter to install the system. Anyone from Aberdeen that can recommend a garage to book this week????

Thanks

Kev

Burple
17th January 2006, 10:06 PM
Hey hey.. .well... result! :D

If you have a playmini exhaust (for a Cooper or One) you've had for a while, it will DEFINITELY fit on a car as new as a '55 plate, with no mods at all :D