PDA

View Full Version : Should I pay?

cpedro58
5th January 2006, 04:31 AM
My mini one was at the dealer 2 weeks ago for a service (TLC) and when I picked it up I was informed by the service manager that the front and rear brakes were worn and required replacing. Naturally there was a sharp intake of breath as it was so near xmas , but he told me just to bring the car back (as they didn't have the parts in stock) and as the brakes are covered by the TLC, I wouldn't have to pay anything.
I duly did this and was more than happy with the service (and really glad of the TLC!) but today recieved a phone call from the service manager to say that he had made a mistake and I would be charged for fitting the brakes - 200 quid minus 10% goodwill gesture!
Can anyone advise of whether I have to pay for his mistake or can I refuse to pay as I have never before paid for someone to do such as easy task

john
5th January 2006, 04:59 AM
It's not covered by TLC:blackeye:

Buy the parts and do it yourself or get someone cheeper than the main dealer;)

GAJ
5th January 2006, 05:15 AM
As the service manager said - it was his mistake. You didn't agree to have any chargeable work done so they have no right to charge you. To tell you that they have deducted 10% as a goodwill gesture is frankly an insult!

John's right - it's not covered by the TLC but you should have been told that there was a charge; that way you could make an informed decision on whether to pay or go down another road e.g. DIY!

Stand your ground; they don't have a leg to stand on. Generally they ask you to sign for any chargeable work prior to it being done but as you were told that it would be FOC then that should stand. They should have informed you of their mistake before the work was done; if they didn't realise till too late then TOUGH! Their problem.

Gismo
5th January 2006, 05:55 AM
Hmm, a tricky one methinks, yes the service manager was in the wrong, assuming it's just the pads you could ask for your old pads to be refitted and you'll go elsewhere for the work.
However, if it's for disks and pads then you've got a very good deal ;) and should pay up
In any case, have you seen the old pads :question: get them to confirm that the replacement was neccessary

john
5th January 2006, 07:08 AM
Has the work already been done?

Big Col
5th January 2006, 04:23 PM
It must just be the pads if it's £200 since that sounds seriously expensive for pads but really cheap for discs so knowing BMW it'll be the pads. I agree with BS that this is a tricky one but I'd try and stand my ground if I was you. You only got them fitted there because the Servie MANAGER told you that it was FOC. (Incidentally can you believe the Service Manager doesn't know what's covered by TLC?) The 10% discount is a tad insulting so I'd at least be pushing for just paying for the parts in the very worst case.

bpirie1000
5th January 2006, 04:48 PM
Sounds Like you have to Bite the Bullet there..

another Bill to add to teh festive pile of bils..

Happy New year..

cpedro58
6th January 2006, 06:25 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding - major domestic crisis last night - spilt irn bru on my keyboard!

Demanding that the dealer refits the old pads seems a good idea to me and failing that I will offer to pay for the parts only although the first few weeks of negotiation will centre on my refusal to pay anything due to them making the mistake.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you posted on progress!