PDA

View Full Version : A question about speed limits...

Smurf
4th January 2006, 09:53 PM
Someone I was talking to over the festive break, said something which I hadn't heard of before...
Now either I'm a complete dimwit (possible) or he's talking out of his trousers (equally possible)...

Where there is a "national speed limit" i.e. 60mph on single carriageway roads, if there are street lights on one side it's actually 40mph, and if there are street lights on two sides it's 30mph - in other words there don't need to be any speed limit signs up?? Just street lights??

If this is true - how the heck have I missed this for so many years??

Craig
4th January 2006, 10:05 PM
complete horsesh*t ;)

If you were in a national speed limit area and there were no changes to the speed limit (ie reduced to 40) and if there are no small "repeater" signs then it is still national speed limit. The only place you will not get "repeaters" is in a 30 mph zone, but it should be fairly easy to tell that you are in a built up area..:D

What he probably refers to is that if there are street lights down both sides of the street, it will most probably not be national speed limit, it is most likely a 30 or 40 mph zone, BUT this will have been signposted..;)

hope this helps.

Smurf
4th January 2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks Craig - I had a feeling it was tosh.

Didn't want to say anything at the time, as the person telling me this is a Special Constable.......

Says it all really.

mini_mad
4th January 2006, 10:42 PM
Yeh craigs right,if its a forty then it will be signposted and is usually signposted on every streetlight or 2nd light etc..

Lol, specials, ah duno.....lol.

Was that a wee bit of a panic there smurf??

Julz
4th January 2006, 11:13 PM
Craig's right!! Can you imagine having to drop to 40 or 30 as you pass Blackford at the Highland Spring bit cause they've got street lights! Special cu... constables eh!!:p:clown: The only place that street lights have an effect is within a 30 (and sometimes 40) and you theoretically should have passed a big 600mm diameter sign telling you that you'd entered a 30mph zone anyway!:):clown:

Smurf
5th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys!! :D

I can now safely tell him he's telling porkies.

No panic from me mini-mad... I just wondered how a law-abiding citizen like me could have missed a rule like that!

monkimagic
5th January 2006, 12:59 AM
These guys are right, but I would ask, in what way special is your constable friend. ??

Moonshine
5th January 2006, 02:01 AM
i heard similar from my instructor during my bike test....street lights on a road (not a de restricted road such as the a9 at blackford but a single carrigeway )...indicate by default a 30 limit. (didn't know about the single side 40 limit) however i think it is likely to be true and hidden away in some obscure area of the HWC.
I would guess an instructor (especially on a bike) knows his onions. I wouldn't dismiss this wothout further investigation.

Gerry

Sheilz
5th January 2006, 06:44 AM
I can remember my dad talking about this many many years ago. Probably is tucked away in an obscure piece of legislation though nowadays it would probably be challenged as being contrary to our civil rights because we need labels for and on everything coz we can no longer work things out for ouselves!

GAJ
5th January 2006, 08:39 AM
Craig's spot on. This (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/pdf/dft_roads_pdf_504746.pdf) Dept. for Transport document explains the signage requirements.

AndyP & Lenore
5th January 2006, 08:58 AM
I agree the "lights on one side = 40mph, lights both sides =30mph" is nonsense.

Many moons ago I was a driving instructor and I do seem to remember something about the following: There is a reference to a "built up area" in the highway code, and even if you are in a "national speed limit" area, if you are in a built up area, the limit is 30mph. http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

However, it's a long time since I was DOT ADI, an I've forgotten most of it all by now. I even cross my hands when turning - SHOCK HORROR!!!!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/105.gif

Am I right or am I wrong as usual?

Smurf
5th January 2006, 09:34 PM
Right, I'm still confused then...

The Highway code doesn't help me any either.
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103
This states "Street lights usually mean that there is a 30 mph speed limit unless there are signs showing another limit." and "These are the national speed limits and apply to all roads unless signs show otherwise * The 30 mph limit applies to all traffic on all roads in England and Wales (only Class C and unclassified roads in Scotland) with street lighting unless signs show otherwise)"

So.... I think this means that in Scotland, if you're on a C class or unclassified road, with street lights, it's a 30, even if there are no signs. However, if you're on an A or B class road with street lights and no signs, it's a 60. But in England, if there are street lights, it's a 30.

Confused? You soon will be..... :dead:

monkimagic
5th January 2006, 11:17 PM
Oh my I am confused now, the last sign you pass is the speed limit. so if you pass a national speed limit that means it is a 60. it remains a 60 unless otherwise stated.

street lights should not matter

Monki

calumlorimer
6th January 2006, 01:33 AM
If you are on a road with streetlights and you dont know the speedlimit, it's common sense to consider it to be a 30 limit. That is most likely what it is.

That is not any sort of law though, just a way of guessing the limit if you've not seen or noticed a speed limit sign. If there is a national limit sign then the limit is 60/70

Thats how it was explained to me by my motorbike instructor.

Scottie
6th January 2006, 01:44 AM
I'm confused.:I doesn't take much. So are we talking all roads or just A & B roads.

How about on motorways/dual carraigeways say like when your passing Blackford junction street lights on both side of the road or how about A9 dual carraigeway coming over the kessock bridge street lights on both sides of the road and in the centre space bit of the road how about the M6 most of it south passing birmingham street lights on both sides of the road and centre of the road.

So it's not exact is it I mean on a dual carraige way with street lights you wouldn't slow down to 30mph unless signs told you to.
There is just so many variables.

In fact I've often said to Allan when we have been hauling the caravan down south travelling in the dead of night how all roads should be lit up. Would save us worring about crap headlights and makes for safer driving imo:D:cool::p