PDA

View Full Version : AIR INDUCTION KIT FOR MINI COOPER 54 PLATE

JASONCENTRAL
17th December 2005, 06:00 AM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I CAN GET AN AIR INDUCTION KIT WHICH WILL FIT MY MINI COOPER 54 PLATE

ALSO WHICH ONE WILL GIVE THE BEST ROUGH SOUND.

TA
J

Wul
17th December 2005, 06:39 AM
Hi jason - welcome to the site - there are many induction kits available to fit the Cooper - K&N and Pipercross both do specific models for the Cooper - i'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly. :)

Craig
17th December 2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Jason, there are people on here (Gaj, Heather, Smurf, LownLoud1) who I know have all fitted induction kits to their cars at some point. Two little bits if advice.........

1 - The pipercross unit causes marks on the underside of the bonnet as it is not quite the correct size, something to bear in mind if you want it....

2 - fitting an induction kit, does not normally give you more BHP, it can cost 1 or 2bhp, but does sound great.

If it was my money, then I would go for the K & N as I have heard it in action and it sounds awesome.:approve:

Best of Luck!:D:D

PS - you could save up some more cash and go for the JCW Sound Kit that I have, well happy with it and it is fully covered by your MINI warranty. If you want a listen, let me know, I'm not far from where you live.;)

Smurf
17th December 2005, 07:38 PM
I have a Ramair Induction kit which I got from Heather.
Designed for the Mini Cooper.
And I absolutely love it!!! :D
Doesn't make the car any nippier, but BOY, what a nice noise!
It's not too boy-racerish. You can toddle around at low speeds quite quietly, but when you accellerate with any enthusiasm, you get a lovely noise.

There are many makes, but from what I've heard, K&N get a good name.
They are relatively easy to fit, and remove again, should you need to.... ;)

Not covered by MINI warranty, but at servicing time, you can change it back to the original air filter if you want. MINI won't say anything about the induction kit if you leave it on, only if you have a problem and they can blame it, they will. Then whatever the problem is, won't be covered by your warranty either. But, having said that, I haven't heard of anyone having had any problems!! :)

Roaster, Minime, you didn't read this thread, right??:p:p

GAJ
17th December 2005, 07:52 PM
I've fitted and driven coopers fitted with the Pipercross PK222, the Pipercross Viper, the RamAir and the K&N 57i.

The Viper does not fit well but i believe it has been slightly modified since the one I had was supplied. It requires a forced air feed though, so it requires modification to the standard MINI setup. It's not easily swapped back and forwards like the others - but it does give the biggest performance gain - and as it is red aluminium and carbon fibre, it looks cool! :cool: It's totally encapsulated though so it is quite quiet. Expensive too!

The PK222 sounds good but IMHO is poorly made. It wobbles, rubs the bonnet lining and I would avoid it.

The RamAir is slightly better made than the Pipercross although the rubber fittings are very soft and easily split. It sits nice and low though so doesn't rub the bonnet lining like the Pipercross does - but although it sounds much better than the standard airbox, I don't find it quite meaty sounding enough! It is suitable for girls though!;)

My favourite and recommended choice would be the K&N 57i, it's reasonably priced, quite well made, a good fit (no wobbling like the others) and sounds fantastic! K&N also make a Typhoon system which I have not tried but it looks good - anodised aluminium in a choice of colours! mmm!:)

Don't expect any noticeable performance gain though, although all will make your car sound much, much better and give you a massive grin!:D

This has been discussed loads on here before; have a look at this thread. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2842):)

MartinSullivan
17th December 2005, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the site Jason, glad you found you way here ok ;) - looks like you have had heaps of advice, which is great - would second most peoples choice of the K&N - its a good system , well made, nice induction note and easy to return to standard. Have a good rake through all the suppliers - there are some serious savings to be made going to the right one ;)

Burple
18th December 2005, 03:27 AM
quote: It is suitable for girls though!;)

Oi!!:mad::mad::blackeye::blackeye::p:p:D:D

I've got one!:p
(mine fits well, and is solid :D)

sleepyrascal
18th December 2005, 03:52 AM
I have the piperX. I'm not sure why people have had them rub against their bonnet?? I can only assume they didn't fit the correctly, or they have a different model to the one I have which is specifically for the MINI cooper/S. It should be sitting nice n low anyway to get the coldest air... I have seen some people fitting it inside the existing airbox.... strange. Perhaps this is why it hits the bonnet??

Nice note (coupled woth playmini exhaust).

As for it being not very well made.. Mine is quite old and still looks and works as new!

However I have only tried piperX so have nothing to compare it to. I havn't really heard any bad stories about K&N or other makes.

All I can say is that I have not noticed any power decrease, I havn't noticed it rubbing on the bonnet, I havn't noticed any sign of poor workmanship with the construction and the note is sweeet!

ELFMAN
22nd December 2005, 08:59 PM
Glad to hear it's still working, Ewan!

Cooper_si
22nd December 2005, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I have the piperX. I'm not sure why people have had them rub against their bonnet?? I can only assume they didn't fit the correctly, or they have a different model to the one I have which is specifically for the MINI cooper/S. It should be sitting nice n low anyway to get the coldest air... I have seen some people fitting it inside the existing airbox.... strange. Perhaps this is why it hits the bonnet??

Nice note (coupled woth playmini exhaust).

As for it being not very well made.. Mine is quite old and still looks and works as new!

However I have only tried piperX so have nothing to compare it to. I havn't really heard any bad stories about K&N or other makes.

All I can say is that I have not noticed any power decrease, I havn't noticed it rubbing on the bonnet, I havn't noticed any sign of poor workmanship with the construction and the note is sweeet!

Alot of peeps dont fit the holding bracket to the NS engine mounting...which i can understand, because the instructions are awful !!! But the piperx is a nice unit. So that may be why there rubbing problems.

sleepyrascal
22nd December 2005, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

Glad to hear it's still working, Ewan!

Ah yes it is Elfman! I bought my PiperX from Elfman, so it's second hand and stil works as new!

Cheers Elf! :D

T6 KFR
22nd December 2005, 10:21 PM
Go and buy a K&N Typhoon kit mate....thats what i did and its great.

Even better when you open the bonnet and see it shining!

james f
23rd December 2005, 10:04 AM
the main problem why there is is no to little bhp gain for the k&n 57i or the standard pipercross (for this part of the bonnet lining must be cut away and duct taped) is the fact they both suffer from hot spots off the coopers engine due to where the induction is located the viper works better because of its heat sheild but theres also the gruppe m ram system which has a k&n fliter in it but is properly sheiled or the bmp carbon box as well lohen do them both also most people fail to link an adaqute air tube next to the kit from the front of the car thhus resulting in lost perfrmance hope this helps

cc :D

mini_mad
28th December 2005, 03:42 AM
quote:Go and buy a K&N Typhoon kit mate....thats what i did and its great.

Even better when you open the bonnet and see it shining!

I'd 2nd that,definately recommend the K&N Typhoon Kit! Dead easy to remove also, if need be...