PDA

View Full Version : My JCW exhaust is burst

Scottie
14th December 2005, 08:34 PM
Would you believe it my JCW exhaust on the Silver Mini is burst.

It would appear that a pre Jan 04 exhaust was fitted to the Car ??? my build date was Jun 05??? However this is under debate at the moment still to be confirm.

Over and above that the baffles have started to go in the exhaust:(

The exhaust is only 5 month old and covered 2000 miles.:(

MartinSullivan
14th December 2005, 08:40 PM
I thought the hangers were different on the exhausts so they wouldnt fit :question: so not sure how that could have happened (I might be wrong though)

MartinSullivan
14th December 2005, 08:50 PM
Quote from Mini2

"the old hanger set up was that the hangers all faced towards the front of the car as of Jan 04 the two inner hangers were turned 90 degrees and now point towards the centre of the car."

So IMHO they couldnt have fitted a pre Jan 2004 exhaust to your car without modifying all the hangers - so it couldnt have been a "mistake" as such ;)

Scottie
14th December 2005, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Quote from Mini2

"the old hanger set up was that the hangers all faced towards the front of the car as of Jan 04 the two inner hangers were turned 90 degrees and now point towards the centre of the car."

So IMHO they couldnt have fitted a pre Jan 2004 exhaust to your car without modifying all the hangers - so it couldnt have been a "mistake" as such ;)

Martin, That is where the problem lies in that the exhaust is not on the hangers and the pins don't fit into the hangers correctly at the moment the exhaust is lying on the black plate thing.

I was under the car:eek:;) this morning getting it all explained to me. Been like this from day one:( also my Aero side skirt were missing all but one of the clips must hace came out when going along the road no doubt:eek::disapprove:

Scottie
14th December 2005, 09:01 PM
p.s. was told today that it was my short shift that caused it.:) so now I'm a bit worried it won't be covered under waranty although I had the same kinda short shift on my Cabrio it was Nov04 build and had no probs with that.

Finger crossed cause those JCW exhaust are no cheap Allan's one cost £800.

Gismo
14th December 2005, 09:46 PM
How can the short shift kit break the exhaust :question:
As far as i can see, you have to remove the exhaust to fit the kit, then fit it back on again, the exhaust remains in the same position with or without the kit :evil:

MartinSullivan
14th December 2005, 09:48 PM
And didnt menzies fit the short shift :question:

Scottie
14th December 2005, 10:08 PM

And didnt menzies fit the short shift :question:

yip they did unless the short shift is not fitted right?? not sure

it's a B&M short shift that I have on the Silver Mini on my Cabrio I had the Alta so I'm going to get another Alta short shift just in case there is a difference. Just to be on the safe side.

Lesson learnt for fitting aftermarket stuff but thought I would be ok with the short shift

Mini Me
14th December 2005, 10:11 PM
.......back on the plane for me(just browsing @ heathrow)...........

MartinSullivan
14th December 2005, 10:15 PM
My shortshift (which isnt a B&M or Alta) causes the rod from the gear lever to stick further down but it is still well clear of the exhaust and I cant see how it could interfere with the exhaust, if it was catching you would feel/hear it.

Scottie
14th December 2005, 10:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

.......back on the plane for me(just browsing @ heathrow)...........

Oh you are and posting on my thread ta.:p;)

Scottie
14th December 2005, 10:25 PM

My shortshift (which isnt a B&M or Alta) causes the rod from the gear lever to stick further down but it is still well clear of the exhaust and I cant see how it could interfere with the exhaust, if it was catching you would feel/hear it.

I don't know spoke to the dealer that fitted it and they say that it obstructed the exhaust from sitting in the normal postion. Which does not help me any as the exhaust is lying on the plate and the motor sounds like a tractor when you start up or at low revs from the exhaust rattling on the plate.:);)

Cooper_si
15th December 2005, 01:52 AM
hope you get it sorted fiona....its certainly baffled me !! (no pun intended)

redpoint rallying
15th December 2005, 04:52 AM
I have the short shift on the rally car and really cannot understand how yours has caused problems with the exhaust. At the very least, lets assume that your shift is fitted lower....I'm certain the manufacturers would be unable to sell an assembly that contacted the exhaust. Its just not sensiblr for them, let alone customers. Time for a second opinion from a dealer or at least speak to the manufacturer of your short shift.

M

ELFMAN
27th December 2005, 06:36 AM
Funny if a shift kit caused such a problem. As Redpoint says, presumably they're manufactured to fit the car and should avoid problems like that. If it was obstructing the exhaust to that extent, why did the dealer go ahead and fit it if they knew the exhauast was then incorrectly (and arguably dangerously) mounted? Surely they should have told you. Exhaust NOT ON THE HANGERS? I'd be well pi**ed off! Especially if it's been like that from "Day One".

I have to say as well - £800.00 for an exhaust??????? JCW or not. Bleedin' 'eck!!!. My Playmini S/Steel Exhaust system AND Manifold cost about £845.00 we fitted the system ourselves (about an hour and a bit), and a local garage fitted the Manifold for £30.00. Even if the £800.00 includes fitting, it's taking the Michael. After all, it's not a Ferrari 430. AND the baffles have started to go? Watch out - they might try and charge extra for a "Sportier Sound".

I certainly wouldn't be stumping up for a new system, for ALL of the above reasons. Maybe I'm just an old skinflint, but come on!!! The fact that the clips were missing on your skirts is also worrying. It all sounds pretty incompetent, but that's just my opinion.