PDA

View Full Version : Sugar and salt for the roads

monkimagic
11th December 2005, 12:42 PM
I was over at Dennis irvines yesterday and got chatting to a Bike cop there, he was telling me that they are now using sugar mixed in with the road salt, this makes it a little stickier so the rain/snow does'nt wash it away so easily.

So today when I was washing the Mini i reckoned twas harder to wash the crap off:disapprove:. anyone else heard about this ?

monki

N12 JLK
11th December 2005, 05:37 PM
I was wondering why loads of kids were licking the car , those sweet toothed kids;)
Hadnt noticed;)

The Dogfather
11th December 2005, 05:54 PM
I've heard about this, I heard they were using molasses (spelling?). If it's true then cars will be a lot harder to clean:(

The Dogfather
11th December 2005, 06:03 PM
However, given the number of crashes on the roads near me anything which improves the griting gets my vote.

One thing I have noticed worst of the crashes have involved 4x4s, over confidence on the part of the drivers or are they a liabilty on ice :question: The worse one of all was a vitara which looked like it had spun then rolled, it closed the A947 at Fyvie last week.

Neil and Lorna
12th December 2005, 12:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

However, given the number of crashes on the roads near me anything which improves the griting gets my vote.

One thing I have noticed worst of the crashes have involved 4x4s, over confidence on the part of the drivers or are they a liabilty on ice :question: The worse one of all was a vitara which looked like it had spun then rolled, it closed the A947 at Fyvie last week.

Hi Paul

Probably over confident. If you loose grip on all tyres then your buggered no matter what your driving.ASC DSC ABS all require at least 1 tyre to get a grip( if you know what I mean )

As for sugar on the road wont wildlife get a taste for it as well.:dead:

Neil

MartinSullivan
12th December 2005, 02:20 AM
Wildlife already have a taste for the salt - on the moors back home you get herds of sheep wandering down the middle of the road licking the salt up.

nylo
13th December 2005, 06:42 AM
That sounds like an absolutely disgusting mixture! I hate this time of the year at the best of times- impossible to keep the MINI clean, but to mix sugar into that sounds like it will make things a complete nightmare:mad:

AN03REW
15th December 2005, 02:34 AM
Ive a black mini. When i polished it last week i did notice little dots that werent easy to come off. But it could have been tar. Did you use any thing to take it off better?

Smurf
15th December 2005, 05:00 AM
Autoglym tar remover - and hubby's elbow power! :D

Mini Me
19th December 2005, 01:19 AM
Dont like the sound of this, as pointed out there's going to be loads off road kill !!!