PDA

View Full Version : Norton or not to Norton

Mini Me
7th December 2005, 02:05 AM
my subscription is now dew for renewal, but i an running all the microsoft protection inc there new anti ware, so is it worth it :question::question::question::question:

The Dogfather
7th December 2005, 02:15 AM
No don't go with Norton! You still need an anti virus programme, so have a look at avast.com. It's free and easy to use.

Have you got anti-spyware and anti-adware programmes? If not google spybot and ad-aware se both are great IMO.

duncan
7th December 2005, 02:24 AM
PC World are doing Norton Internet Security for £25, half price! Link (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/955201)

AVG is free antivirus software, and Zonealarm is free Firewall if you want to go down the free route

sleepyrascal
7th December 2005, 02:40 AM
no to norton. Go for avast or AVG (i use that one) http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

ALL FREE AND BETTER THAN SMELLY NORTON!

Burple
7th December 2005, 02:40 AM
quote:

AVG is free antivirus software, and Zonealarm is free Firewall if you want to go down the free route

I concur!! ZoneAlarm is great for a free product. been running it in the house for about 4 months... no bother, no hassle after it's learned your PC's habits :D
AVG is pretty good for a free program too :D

We get McAfee VirusScan free from work on an educational licence ;) It works just fine too! :D:D

duncan
7th December 2005, 02:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

[quote]

We get McAfee VirusScan free from work on an educational licence ;) It works just fine too! :D:D

I just uninstalled McAfee as it was doing my head in.
Hated it, and went back to Norton.

Craig
7th December 2005, 03:13 AM
I use a firewall called Sygate. www.sygate.com and it's free for home users and works a treat. I have norton antivirus and have had for 2 and a half years with no problems.

I also run spybot and adware to get rid of spyware/adware programs...:D

Gismo
7th December 2005, 03:41 AM
I've not had one problem with Norton in over 5 years

Mini Me
7th December 2005, 04:34 AM
using the new microsoft anti-spyware and all the windows firewall etc !!!! .just dont know if it justifies the money ?[v]

GAJ
7th December 2005, 05:02 AM
One word - Mac!

Bye!!;)

Wul
7th December 2005, 05:34 AM
Norton really slowed up my PC - so much so I had to take it back off!

macblob
7th December 2005, 05:37 AM
Second word Mac!!!!

Ohhh aye norton sucks IMHO

Legs it before getting abused by the windoze users hehehe

Big Gordy
7th December 2005, 06:20 AM
I opened this hoping he was talking about a Norton Commando:evil: I should have known better:dead:;)
When you EVENTUALLY drop off my centre caps I'll give you a loan of my McAfee disc with its everlasting updates;) :p:D:approve:

Mini Me
7th December 2005, 06:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

I opened this hoping he was talking about a Norton Commando:evil: I should have known better:dead:;)
When you EVENTUALLY drop off my centre caps I'll give you a loan of my McAfee disc with its everlasting updates;) :p:D:approve:

ave been off.......nearly deed !!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:( and nobody noticed..:(:disapprove::dead:

Big Gordy
7th December 2005, 06:29 AM
So you won't be well enough to go snowboarding in Collorado then..:question:;) :p:D:approve:

Big Gordy
7th December 2005, 06:30 AM
Can I go instead..:question::question::D:cool:

duncan
7th December 2005, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

One word - Mac!

Bye!!;)

Are Macs 100% Safe? (http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2002/09/18.1.shtml)

Mini Me
7th December 2005, 06:37 AM
so,basicaly windows is sh*te !:p

GAJ
7th December 2005, 06:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

One word - Mac!

Bye!!;)

That article is over 3 years old! Kinda proves my point!
No computer is 100% safe though, I agree!:)

duncan
7th December 2005, 06:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

so,basicaly windows is sh*te !:p

Not 100%
It does suffer from viruses, due to the amount of backdoors that Microsoft leave in the OS, and not fully tested, and also the shear volume of users of the OS.

All it takes is one person to create a virus, whatever OS its for.

Mini Me
7th December 2005, 06:44 AM
SO IT IS sh*tE !!!!!:disapprove:

duncan
7th December 2005, 06:47 AM

quote:Originally posted by duncan

One word - Mac!

Bye!!;)

That article is over 3 years old! Kinda proves my point!
No computer is 100% safe though, I agree!:)

It might be 3 years old, but I wouldnt like to say ach it was a three year old article after my unprotected computer died thanks to a virus ;)

The Dogfather
7th December 2005, 07:24 AM
So what the article is basically is that Macs are only safe whilst they're unpopular. As soon as a virus does arrive, and it will, then every Mac owner will be totally buggered as they have always thought it was PC problem.........

So how do you know you don't already have a virus on your computer already, quietly eating it's way through all your files:question:

GAJ
7th December 2005, 07:42 AM
I've read loads of similar articles in the mac press over the years. Mac and Unix viruses have been written but they don't spread like windoze viruses for the very reason's you suggest. The threat does exist though, I accept that.

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
So how do you know you don't already have a virus on your computer already, quietly eating it's way through all your files:question:

You're just being stupid now!;)

macblob
7th December 2005, 08:01 AM
Used to run anti virus software (macfee) but never found a single thing and more recent versions dont work very well on most recent mac os, so just run the built in firewall and am careful on what i open in emails, but macs dont have problems like execute files spreading system wide viruses when the user click on them

AndyP & Lenore
7th December 2005, 08:35 AM
Had Norton AV for 5 years. Got sloppy a few months ago and didn't renew subscriptions to get recent virus definitions. Ended up with a very nasty virus which shut down my hard drive. Very nearly lost all the data on the hard drive. Had to buy a new hard drive, new copy of Windows etc., and then "recover" the old hard drive using dos. Luckily got all our photies back - including the ones of Lenore meeting Wet Wet Wet. Hey maybe that's what goosed the hard drive?;)

The lesson here is - Norton. Subscribe. Renew when asked. Rinse, repeat.;):D

Craig
7th December 2005, 04:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Had Norton AV for 5 years. Got sloppy a few months ago and didn't renew subscriptions to get recent virus definitions. Ended up with a very nasty virus which shut down my hard drive. Very nearly lost all the data on the hard drive. Had to buy a new hard drive, new copy of Windows etc., and then "recover" the old hard drive using dos. Luckily got all our photies back - including the ones of Lenore meeting Wet Wet Wet. Hey maybe that's what goosed the hard drive?;)

The lesson here is - Norton. Subscribe. Renew when asked. Rinse, repeat.;):D

aye, it stops there being a chance that someone might want to detach yer knackers from your body eh Andy? ;)

Burple
7th December 2005, 07:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Used to run anti virus software (macfee) but never found a single thing and more recent versions dont work very well on most recent mac os, so just run the built in firewall and am careful on what i open in emails, but macs dont have problems like execute files spreading system wide viruses when the user click on them

So.. basically hardly any Mac users have AntiVirus programs because they (and their Macs ;)) are so superior, and some 'don't work very well' on the most recent Mac OS...
..And it's possibly just a matter of time before Macs become popular enough for someone to write a virus for them...

Umm.... well I'll stick to my comfy XP with McAfee and ZoneAlarm that *DO* work, ta very much!! ;):p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:clown:

(Now with New and Improved Firefox v1.5 - just out!) :D

broken_brian
8th December 2005, 01:03 AM
You don't have to renew you'r subscription to norton just uninstall it then reinstall and you get a years free subscription again.

(well it works for me anyway):D:D

duncan
8th December 2005, 06:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

You don't have to renew you'r subscription to norton just uninstall it then reinstall and you get a years free subscription again.

(well it works for me anyway):D:D

Disnae work with me on XP, and thats even after deleting all the registry files associated with Norton, and Symantec

Smurf
8th December 2005, 04:18 PM
Am I the odd one out?
I have a Mac, and I run Norton Antivirus....... Works well.
I also have a built in firewall in my broadband Router.

And I never open attachments in emails from people I don't know!

Burple
8th December 2005, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Am I the odd one out?
I have a Mac, and I run Norton Antivirus....... Works well.
I also have a built in firewall in my broadband Router.

And I never open attachments in emails from people I don't know!

Crikey woman.. you sounds just like an Intarweb manual! :D:D:p:p;);)

When you say it works well, do you mean that it catches a lot of virus(es?) or because it doesn't keep popping up to annoy you?
:p -which of course could mean - either it's not working at all, or you've never had a virus :p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

GAJ
8th December 2005, 07:09 PM
I would be careful of using any Norton Utilities on OS X, there have been some horror stories in the Mac press lately. I used to have the whole Norton Suite installed but removed it all some time ago. Apparently, Norton have been pretty sloppy in keeping their software fully compatible with the developments Apple have been making under the skin, which on occasion has resulted in users losing data. I replaced NAV with Virex which does the job. (You can never be too careful!;)) (It's found loads of viruses, all windows!:))

Most articles I have read have recommended steering clear of Norton on OS X. Up until recently Norton even had a warning on their website, however I just checked and it has been removed and they are now claiming 100% compatibility of NAV 10.0 with OS X 10.3x and higher. With their recent record though I would be very wary.

Smurf
8th December 2005, 07:10 PM
It doesn't pop up that often because I have a Mac and don't get that many viruses! :p :D

However, it does appear when I get infected mail, and I use it to sweep the hard drive every so often.

I'm happy enough with it. And I've had it for a couple of years.
Just thought I'd stick my twopennorth in.
(Not like me, I know...... :p:p;);):D:D)

lightbody
11th December 2005, 10:25 PM
Norton anti-virus is OK *UNLESS* it goes wrong, when it can be a disaster. Their Internet Security suite is dangerous in the wrong hands - I've helped lots of people who've accidentally crippled their PCs with this.

Hardware Firewall (e.g. as included in a decent router), MS AntiSpyware thingy, AVG Free anti-virus and if you want to be ultra-safe put ZoneAlarm on too but you won't really need it if you have the hardware firewall. And THEN make sure all your auto-updates are turned on.