PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Companies in Scotland?

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 04:02 AM
Where do you all get your Minis tuned?

As Im only new to the Mini scene Im unaware of where to go for re-maps etc?

Thanks

:p

Gismo
5th December 2005, 04:19 AM
Not sure about Scotland, but, see our sponsors on the main forum page for most of your needs :)

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks. I was haing a look at them, its just a bit of a drive to some of them.

Gismo
5th December 2005, 04:41 AM
I know what you mean, when i had my S I had an 1100 mile round trip for my 210 BHP Hartge conversion and then around a 750 mile round trip to upgrade to the BBR 240 :eek:
But, it was worth it ;)
Luckily, i can get the MTH remap local in Aberdeen where i work

MartinSullivan
5th December 2005, 04:50 AM
If you speak to Simon at essentialmini (site sponsor) he will help you build a package to suit your requirements , I can do the remap downloads and get you help with installation of parts in Scotland

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 04:54 AM
I was just reading about the remaps. It said about updates? Can you explain these please?

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 04:54 AM
Where are you from Martin?

MartinSullivan
5th December 2005, 06:30 AM
I am in Aberdeen Brian

Gismo
5th December 2005, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brian_Cooper_S
I was just reading about the remaps. It said about updates? Can you explain these please?
Basically, once you have purchased a map from Simon at Essentialmini and you have it uploaded to your car, you have 12 months "free" updates, so, should you alter your car's performance in any way by adding an air filter for example, you can request a new map to suit the air filter and so on :D:cool:
Martin lives in Aberdeen :)

KINGHORN
5th December 2005, 07:10 AM
defo worth it for the 's' i have just past the 500 mile barrier and im lovin it

Scottie
5th December 2005, 06:06 PM
I use the folks in Glenrothes although not for my Mini Falcon performance I think they are called do the superchips stuff and I've got to say 100% customer service. Although for my Mini I've used Simon and Martin also 100% customer service:cool:

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 07:12 PM
Hmmmm, interesting! After the remap, do youfind any difference with fuel consumption?

The free update does sound like a good deal. It seems to be a very reasonable price for the remap.

AndyP & Lenore
5th December 2005, 07:13 PM
Also, there is Dastek at Dalgetty Bay (near Forth Road Bridge). They did our MINI for about £900 and it is great!:D

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 07:18 PM
What did Dastek do for you?

I had a Unchip in my last car and was happy with their srvice!

Gismo
5th December 2005, 07:24 PM
The free update does sound like a good deal.
When i replied to your initial question, i put the word free into "free", mainly because in my experience you don't get anything for free.
I appreciate Simon's quest for business etc but fully expect the cost of the free updates to be included in the purchase price
Just my opinion though and not in any way complaining as the service etc is spot on :)

MartinSullivan
5th December 2005, 07:25 PM
Updates are at "no additional cost" - as opposed to free ;)

Cooper_si
5th December 2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Brian,

I can do the remap for your MINI Cooper S. Remaps are from MTH in germany who have 20 years experience in tuning, and have done MINIs ever since they first came out. Including the NMS member discount you get the new Remap for £180, which includes free updates for 12 months, incase you plan any other mods .

Martin Sullivan can help with downloading your original file from your MINI, then once your new file from MTH is ready (normally within 2 hours) it can be uploaded to your MINI.

If you need anymore information please either PM here, email to sales@essentialmini.co.uk or phone me on 01827 280028

Kind Regards

Simon Watton

Cooper_si
5th December 2005, 07:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

The free update does sound like a good deal.
When i replied to your initial question, i put the word free into "free", mainly because in my experience you don't get anything for free.
I appreciate Simon's quest for business etc but fully expect the cost of the free updates to be included in the purchase price
Just my opinion though and not in any way complaining as the service etc is spot on :)

These are 100% free Bonnie...i promise. No prices are added to the price shown....and especially even more so to the discount i supply to NMS ;)

AndyP & Lenore
5th December 2005, 07:30 PM

What did Dastek do for you?

I had a Unchip in my last car and was happy with their srvice!

They put the Dastek Stage One 200bhp kit in our Cooper S auto. It consists of a reduced supercharger pulley, piggyback unichip and remapping on their rolling road.

We had also previously fitted the John Cooper Works Air Filter. As such we actually achieved 205bhp.

We are delighted with the car, the performance is phenomenal, and I'm not sure I'd want anything more powerful in such a small car. And the JCW Air Filter has a feature where it pops a flap open at 4,000rpm and gives the car an extra kick - that is lots of fun!

Purely going from my own experience I would strongly recommend Dastek as a one stop shop for any engine mods your planning.

If you do call, the guy to ask for is Paul. Tell 'im Andrew Poole sent ya!;)

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 07:36 PM
Thank you to all that replied.

The MTH remap is prob in favour at the moment as I said I wouldn't but I plan some more mods in the future.

The only thing about Dastek is they tend to be a little pricey (IMO of course), service is certainly good.

A trip to Aberdeen would be good as I have spent some time there before and enjoyed it.

ScottishcooperS
6th December 2005, 02:11 AM
AndyP & Lenore - how much did dastek charge you for that? I would be very interested in going to them and if i do i'll drop your name!

Is the piigyback uni chip one of those that with every mod you get you can update it?

AndyP & Lenore
6th December 2005, 04:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottishcooperS

AndyP & Lenore - how much did dastek charge you for that? I would be very interested in going to them and if i do i'll drop your name!

Is the piigyback uni chip one of those that with every mod you get you can update it?

Howdy,

The Dastek Stage one is £795 + Vat, which comes in at £934. I would imagine they will be able to re-map each time you add something, but I would imagine they will want to charge for each re-map because they actually map the car live on the rolling road, so there's a time=money issue for them there.

Anything else I can help with, just give me a shout.

Dastek are at:

http://www.dastek.co.uk/news.htm# Then click on the "here" word at the end of the Maximised Mini's news article.

AndyP

Brian_Cooper_S
6th December 2005, 08:57 AM
Unchips can be remapped and swapped over to different cars(remap required each time.). That can be a bonus of a Unchip, the resale value where as a remap can't be sold. Dastek is fairly pricey IMO, not only to buy but to remap again if you add any new mods.

ScottishcooperS
6th December 2005, 09:02 AM
AndyP & Lenore - Thanks! i went on their site and their intercooler looks awsome.

AndyP & Lenore
6th December 2005, 10:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottishcooperS

AndyP & Lenore - Thanks! i went on their site and their intercooler looks awsome.

It does look good, but it is megabucks, and too expensive in the £/BHP ratio, IMHO.

It sounds amazing too. If you like the supercharger whine, this thing whines twice as loud.

A

Brian_Cooper_S
7th December 2005, 05:53 AM
Simon,

From your experience, what sort of figures does the average Cooper S see after a remap from yourself? Unlike my last car, Im not going silly with mods on the mini but would like to reach the JCW power for a fraction of the cost. IMO I think the £/bhp for the JCW kit is waaaaay toooooo expensive.

What would you recommend for this sort of gain??

Many thanks

Brian

MartinSullivan
7th December 2005, 06:11 AM
Brian, if you are ever in Aberdeen - give me a shout, Ill take you for a spin in my car and talk you through the mods.

Brian_Cooper_S
7th December 2005, 06:17 AM
Martin,

Thats awesome bud, thanks!