PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Required...

Craig
2nd December 2005, 02:44 AM
Right, now that I have had a proper look at wee Dougal, there are a few things that I want to sort (don't need to, but I like things as perfect as possible...;))

the 2 front headlamps are different (one is flat fronted and the other is convex). One says it is a wipac quadoptic and the other one I cannot see a name on. My question is...... these lights have a self levelling dial in the car, so I know that there will be a motor for this, but can I just by standard sealed beam lights or do I need to buy the self levelling lights . The reason is that a sealed beam light is about £9 and the self levelling ones are £58!!!:eek::eek::eek:

secondly, the car (just after this guy bought it in 1997) got fitted with a full maniflow exhaust (manifold, cat replacment pipe, front pipe and back box...) There is a blow in the exhaust which looks to be coming from the cat replacement pipe... If I replace that and the front pipe (as it looks slightly corroded), can I buy another make of exhaust or does it need to be maniflow... It would appear to be the large bore (2") exhaust all the way through. He has fitted an RC40 back box in the last year...

any advice re this gratefully received....:D

broken_brian
2nd December 2005, 06:27 AM
First off your caar was not fitted with sealed beam lights as the single point injection ones were the last to have them so its the expensive option for that one.

As for the exhaust get a full stainless rc 40 system then you will never need to replace it ever again and im quite sure i could let you borrow my cat for the mot.

Craig
3rd December 2005, 01:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

First off your caar was not fitted with sealed beam lights as the single point injection ones were the last to have them so its the expensive option for that one.

As for the exhaust get a full stainless rc 40 system then you will never need to replace it ever again and im quite sure i could let you borrow my cat for the mot.

thanks for the info brian...

The lights - I kinda thought that, but needed to be sure...:disapprove:

as for the exhaust, the guy I bought it from, says that his car has been through every MOT without the need for putting the cat back in... I did think that the car would require the cat, but the exhaust was fitted in 1997 and been mot'd since 2000.... will check with my mate who runs his own garage as to the issues with this..

Bazthemod
3rd December 2005, 06:40 AM
I don't have a Cat on Alfie and it never got picked up in the MOT ?:I

MartinSullivan
3rd December 2005, 08:40 AM
Pretty sure cars from K ('92 - '93) should have a cat fitted and should be tested as part of the MOT. I have known some garages though that if a cat isnt installed they just tick it off.

broken_brian
4th December 2005, 04:07 AM
yup cars from 92 onwards must have a cat fitted unless you can prove that the engine was made before 92 you then do not need one as that happened mith my mates 94 mini.

Craig
4th December 2005, 11:26 PM
Well, after having a proper inspection of the exhaust - it has to be replaced...:D:D. It has more corrosion than I thought, and also, repairing one bit, then another bit goes, so I am better just to bite the bullet and get it replaced now so that I can get some use out of Dougal.

I want stainless steel and large bore, ( I LOVE the noise and what it to last for years..)therefore could someone give me recommendations re what system to go for and where best to purchase from.

I think the RC40 will be a good one from comments I have received before... Also Play-mini do good exhausts.

It will be the complete exhaust, including the manifold...

thanks again.. (can you tell it's been ages since I had an old mini, my memory is not what it used to be...)

:D

MartinSullivan
4th December 2005, 11:53 PM
Si at essentialmini (NMS Sponsor) is a playmini dealer - he might be able to do you a deal on a classic exhaust ;)

Smurf
5th December 2005, 12:25 AM
We have had stuff from Mini Sport, and they've been fine with us. You could always log on to their web site to check out prices etc. It's useful to have another comparison.

http://www.minisport.com

broken_brian
5th December 2005, 01:37 AM
go for a stainless lcb manifold (pt no C-AEG369S) then depending on wheather you want to chance yer luck at mot time you could go for the rc40 link pipe and single large bore side or centre exit silencer, or you could get the cat link pipe a cat bypass pipe then the back box of your choice.

I would go for the first option as it means that you only have 2 joins in the system as opposed to there being lots in the cat based system.

Duncan Stewart
5th December 2005, 05:12 AM
My Rio is fitted with halogen conversion headlamps (but not a leveling motor). First set I fitted were a flat fronted type from "Autopal" but one broke last year so I bought a new pair of more curved front "Wipac" headlights. I've kept the one "Autopal" lamp and I'm happy to bring it next weekend for you to have a look at - you can have it if you want it.
The wipac quadoptic were the standard fitment on twin point Minis so it is the correct one.

calumlorimer
5th December 2005, 07:09 AM
Stainless lcb's are notorious for cracking and not worth the extra money anyway. Get the cat if your worried about mot's (they are expensive though), it makes very little performance difference whether you have it or not. Having extra joins shouldnt cause hassle unless it's badly mounted.

Maniflow exhausts are great quality but anything stainless should last well enough. I would steer clear of minisport stuff personally, their more expensive and the stuff isn't any better for it.

S7JGW
5th December 2005, 06:22 PM
I had a RC40 from the cat back on my MPI classic, great noise and lasted all the time sice i put it on. Think its after J or K reg that dont need cats. I got mine from mini speed.
Jim

bpirie1000
5th December 2005, 08:41 PM
If your Stuck I have a Number of Standard Sports pack Exhausts in my garage.

No Cat converters though.. But You have my Number if your Interested..

Craig
6th December 2005, 06:38 AM
Brian,

thanks for the offer mate - much appreciated.

I would take it, but I do really like the sound of the larger bore exhaust. after 500 miles with it, I just couldn't go to anything quieter.

well............the saga of the exhaust continues..:disapprove: I have found out that the car will DEFINATELY need a Cat to pass it's MOT which means all of the previous MOT's were not carried out properly (now I am worried about the service history...:disapprove:). So I have had to order a Cat for the car (prices ranged from £220 to £80, which is what I went for in the end).

I am going to get a LCB Manifold (mild steel for inj cars with cat) with a cat link pipe (large bore) and a stainless steel large bore rc40 back box.:approve:

if anyone knows if this will not all fit together, please let me know before I order it tommorrow.;)

Cheers

Craig

Burple
6th December 2005, 07:19 PM

go for a stainless lcb manifold (pt no C-AEG369S) then depending on wheather you want to chance yer luck at mot time you could go for the rc40 link pipe and single large bore side or centre exit silencer, or you could get the cat link pipe a cat bypass pipe then the back box of your choice.
I would go for the first option as it means that you only have 2 joins in the system as opposed to there being lots in the cat based system.

Yup.. I mostly agree with this... :D:p;) except instead of the RC40, if you want the looks, get the playmini!!! :evil::D:D They do them side and centre exit, mine was on the car or 5 years, and still shiny when I washed it properly!
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8541/image10iu1.jpg

The stainless RC40 is still quality kit tho, so it depends what you prefer yourself...
As for the Cat.. you could also have tried MiniMart over in Gateside in Fife. He sometimes has second hand ones lying around - I got one for £30 off him when mine needed one for an MOT..
:D

Seriously, what I said before about the Engine Steady Mounts, this would be the perfect chance to change them for nice Poly ones :D You'll need to dismantle at least one end of it so you can move the Engine about to get the manifold off... THe difference in the feel of the car is amazing when it's done. If you want to see if it's needed, have the car stopped, pop the bonnet, and lean into the car and move the steering wheel about, whilst watching the top of the engine.. if it moves any more han about 5mm, replace those bushes!! :D

...and while you're under the car sorting the exhaust, grease the handbrake cable at the swivels too :p:p

Hmmmm you can also buy new lights which have the 'Halo' effect like a BMW 3 /5 series.... ;) Not sure about the self levelling part tho ;)

OK... I'll stop now.... for a bit ;)

Edited cos I cannae spell today... Hmph

Smurf
6th December 2005, 07:40 PM
We got angel eye lights for Orville! :D:D

However, the poor wee bu&&er needs more serious work doing to pass an MOT before they get fitted. :(

A list as long as my arm (most of which is suspension bits / radius arms etc), and sills, and a couple of other bits of welding.

Know what you mean about the MOT, Craig, Orville now apparently needs a passenger door handle to pass, and it hasn't had one for about 4 or 5 years...... Previous MOT's must have been done somewhere "friendly"...... :disapprove:

broken_brian
7th December 2005, 12:26 AM
You can get the cat converter here www.sapmotorparts.com for £90 inc vat and delivery, just pick the one for 1.3 1990> as the ones for the inj minis are more expensive but are the same part no:question:

Craig
7th December 2005, 03:04 AM

You can get the cat converter here www.sapmotorparts.com for £90 inc vat and delivery, just pick the one for 1.3 1990> as the ones for the inj minis are more expensive but are the same part no:question:

thanks brian, got mine from www.cats4less.co.uk for £80 inc vat and delivery. The new exhaust hopefully gets fitted on tues next week (as long as the manifold comes off back order in time :disapprove:). It's getting done in longcroft, so you will probably pass wee dougal while he's in surgery..

Also spoke to a guy today about paintwork and worked out a very agreeable price for the wee bits that need doing. I just have to remember that it's a mini and it will rust soon enough again:D

Craig
7th December 2005, 03:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

We got angel eye lights for Orville! :D:D

However, the poor wee bu&&er needs more serious work doing to pass an MOT before they get fitted. :(

A list as long as my arm (most of which is suspension bits / radius arms etc), and sills, and a couple of other bits of welding.

Know what you mean about the MOT, Craig, Orville now apparently needs a passenger door handle to pass, and it hasn't had one for about 4 or 5 years...... Previous MOT's must have been done somewhere "friendly"...... :disapprove:

sorry to hear about your problems Vaila, as I said to myself when I bought Dougal, I am going to have spend money on him, but not to get pi$$ed off when it happens, just live with it...;)

hope he's back on the road soon... The thistle run wouldn't be the same without him!:D

broken_brian
8th December 2005, 12:58 AM
Do the work yourself, thats the fun of owning a classic (skint knuckles and lots of swearing):D.

I wont pass him as i live in alva now.

bpirie1000
8th December 2005, 01:36 AM
all good Information there..

Mini World New and Old..
hee hee Hows it looking..

Play mini is best My opinion too..