PDA

View Full Version : OK

Mini Martyn
1st December 2005, 10:08 PM
Honest Answers Please!!

PC or Mac Laptop??

sleepyrascal
1st December 2005, 10:41 PM
PC! Macs are on the way out in the design world anyway~!~!

And theyt aint much good for anything else! a die hard PC user!:D

Mini Martyn
1st December 2005, 10:45 PM
all i need a laptop for is the internet. :I

Gismo
1st December 2005, 10:48 PM
Walks in, oh my god :eek::p dives for cover ;)
If it's JUST for the internet, as long as it's got wi-fi, just in case you are out and about, then it don't matter 8) as long as it connects

Monsta Mo Mini
1st December 2005, 10:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

And theyt aint much good for anything else!

Don't start - that was a very innacurate sweeping statement. Don't know ANYONE in the design industry that uses ANYTHING other than a Mac! ;)

Mini Martyn
1st December 2005, 11:33 PM
Oh No What Have I Started? :evil:

john
2nd December 2005, 12:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

Honest Answers Please!!

PC or Mac Laptop??

I ask you,MINI or Mazda3??????:blackeye:

minidriver#1
2nd December 2005, 01:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Don't start - that was a very innacurate sweeping statement. Don't know ANYONE in the design industry that uses ANYTHING other than a Mac! ;)

I've used a PC all my life, the others in my office have dual G5s and crash more often than my pc.

i am however thinking of getting a mac when the intel processors enter circulation in january.

monkimagic
2nd December 2005, 01:00 AM
PC

sleepyrascal
2nd December 2005, 02:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Sorry Monsta. It's just we work with a host of computer gaming companies all over the UK and also 3d visualisation companies here in Aberdeen. ALL primarily use PC's for various reasons.

Macs are far from rubbish, its just I feel the PC has the edge!

The Mac was the daddy of design a few years back but seem to concentrate more on the image these days than the performance. Although I hear that is set to change. I use Macs and PCs and I prefer the PC by far!

If it is simply for browsing the net, definately go for PC! :D

Personal preference is what it comes down to at the end of the day i guess.

Craig
2nd December 2005, 02:47 AM

Honest Answers Please!!

PC or Mac Laptop??

I take you mean windows or mac laptop (ie your looking for a laptop and want to know if mac or windows is the best route).

I have always used windows and think that macs are the work of the devil....(my personal opinion). It might just be I don't understand them, much like wimen.;)

Smitty
2nd December 2005, 04:08 AM
PC's all the way. always have the compatibility problems with MACs so i stay well away!!

i'll stick with iPod purchases from apple n thts the only money they'll get from me!!

Scottie
2nd December 2005, 04:40 AM

Honest Answers Please!!

PC or Mac Laptop??

never been one for macs I always use a brolly http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/075.gifhttp://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/075.gif

Smurf
2nd December 2005, 04:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd
I have always used windows and think that macs are the work of the devil....(my personal opinion). It might just be I don't understand them, much like wimen.;)

Guess it takes a good woman to understand a Mac then!!!:evil::evil::D:D

Haven't used anything but Macs for at least 10 years - so that would be my preference.

I don't actually think there's much in it, once you get to know how to work them!

sleepyrascal
2nd December 2005, 06:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

quote:Originally posted by craigd

Guess it takes a good woman to understand a Mac then!!!:evil::evil::D:D

Haven't used anything but Macs for at least 10 years - so that would be my preference.

I don't actually think there's much in it, once you get to know how to work them!

It's not so much that macs are hard to use. It's just the don't seem quite as ... em.... 'developed' as a PC. Except for the looks departement!

Big Col
2nd December 2005, 04:45 PM
I say PCs! Smurf says she's used Macs for years and look how she's turned out! ;)

Smurf
2nd December 2005, 05:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I say PCs! Smurf says she's used Macs for years and look how she's turned out! ;)

Yeah, go for a PC.
If I'm anything to go by, the way I've "turned out", seems to get me a lot of attention from lanky yellow Mini owners....

And you wouldn't want that, would you? :D

Could be worse though, I could use a PC, and have a bumble bee Mini........:p:p:D

Heather
3rd December 2005, 02:45 AM
[quote]
It's not so much that macs are hard to use. It's just the don't seem quite as ... em.... 'developed' as a PC. Except for the looks departement!

I dont know which Mac's you are referring to, or which you have personal experience of but that statement is way off the mark.There is nothing you can do on a pc that you cant do on a mac. I use both, and both have their good and bad points. I'm a great mac advocate but if you are only wanting a wee cheap web surfer then a pc will do. iBooks are quite powerful and therefore expensive and they dont really do a "very basic" one for just web surfing. If thats all it is going to be for then a cheap and cheerful windaes machine would do the job. At the end of the day its down to choice and you either like macs (like me, vaila, macblob, GAJ, MMM, 3GGG etc) or you dont. If you still think you want a mac go to Scotsys and play about with one and see what you think.

GAJ
3rd December 2005, 09:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

PC's all the way. always have the compatibility problems with MACs so i stay well away!!

i'll stick with iPod purchases from apple n thts the only money they'll get from me!!

What compatibility problems have you had? Apple now use industry standard's for all hardware (they invented or were influential in some of them), the days of having to buy proprietary monitors or adapters are long gone so there is not a hardware issue.

It's unlikely that you will have any software compatibility issues on a Mac as developers can build for a known hardware architecture unlike in the PC world where standards are so variable. Also the main file formats i.e. MS Office (with the exception of Access), Adobe Photoshop etc. are platform agnostic, so will open on a Mac or a PC without any problems. MS Word is streets ahead on a Mac compared to a PC, even according to MicroSoft.

It's a lot easier to get connected to the internet or to join a network with a Mac, even a Windows network, and you can easily share files with PCs on that network too. And I don't know anyone running Mac OS X who has ever been infected with a virus or any kind of spyware!

There's a lot of misinformation included in this thread which won't really be helping Martin make the decision he asked for help with. As with anything, it's easy to think that what you are familiar with is best and what you don't understand is the work of the devil. I'm forced to work within a MS environment at work but am lucky enough to be able to escape from it and return to a Mac when I get home. I know where my peronal preference lies!

PCs do have their plus points, they are cheaper than comparable Macs and absolute topend PCs will out perform topend Macs on most applications at the moment (but watch this space, it will be interesting to see what happens when Apple switched to Intel processors next year).

This page (http://www.apple.com/uk/switch/) will help explain why I and many others think that uusing a Mac is better than using windaes.

Remember, in the words of the late Douglas Adams, only 10% of people may use Macs, but it's the best 10%!!;)

sleepyrascal
3rd December 2005, 11:24 PM

the way I've "turned out", seems to get me a lot of attention from lanky yellow Mini owners....

I didn't know BIG Col was yellow. Maybe he's from the Simpsons.

Big Col
5th December 2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, go for a PC.
If I'm anything to go by, the way I've "turned out", seems to get me a lot of attention from lanky yellow Mini owners....

And you wouldn't want that, would you? :D

Could be worse though, I could use a PC, and have a bumble bee Mini........:p:p:D

<grins> Awwww it's all in good humour lil one. :)

AND IT'S A WASP!!!!! :mad:;):D

Big Col
5th December 2005, 05:08 PM
I didn't know BIG Col was yellow. Maybe he's from the Simpsons.

<puts on best western (films not the hotel chain) voice> You callin' me yeller pilgrim??? <hands hover over his holsters> :)

Sorry for the thread hijack by the way. :)

euan
5th December 2005, 06:01 PM
I was playing with a Mac in the Apple Store the other day (was diverting my attention from the video ipods as if i played with one I know I'd just want one). It was very nice design, the user interface was very nice as well and I would think about buying onw for my home when my PC has died (long time yet). However, if all your after is a box to browse the internet, get a PC.

I was a bit dissapointed with Apples photo software, it didn't do anything more than the basics, I expected more from it but then that may just be me.

GAJ
5th December 2005, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I was a bit dissapointed with Apples photo software, it didn't do anything more than the basics, I expected more from it but then that may just be me.

If you were referring to iPhoto which comes bundled as part of the iLife suite then your right, it's a very simple to use application that allows you to import, publish to the net, optimise for emails, print or order up professionally printed and bound albums. It does include basic editing tools (crop, hue, saturation, brightness, contrast etc.) plus a few more powerful features in the 'advanced editing dashboard'.

Apple just launched another application aimed at photographers - Aperture. (http://www.apple.com/uk/aperture/)

That's got every feature you could imagine and then some!

The Dogfather
5th December 2005, 07:41 PM
I looked at a ibook but decided on a PC laptop, mainly due to cost vs. performance. Macs are easier to use though if your a novice then I would recommend one.

Bare in mind most Macs owners are a bit evangelical about their choice and they tend to become unpaid salesreps for Apple. ;)

Either PC or Mac will give you want you want just depends if you want to pay extra for a stylish case/software front end.

Smurf
6th December 2005, 02:00 AM

<grins> Awwww it's all in good humour lil one. :)

AND IT'S A WASP!!!!! :mad:;):D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

sleepyrascal
6th December 2005, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini
PC or Mac will give you want you want just depends if you want to pay extra

The most confusing sequence of words in the history of confusing sequences of words, from the Bad dog:D:D

Burple
6th December 2005, 02:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

I looked at a ibook but decided on a PC laptop, mainly due to cost vs. performance. Macs are easier to use though if your a novice then I would recommend one.

Bare in mind most Macs owners are a bit evangelical about their choice and they tend to become unpaid salesreps for Apple. ;)

Either PC or Mac will give you want you want just depends if you want to pay extra for a stylish case/software front end.

I got to agree with both GAJ and you BD...
There's nowt a PC can do really that a MAC can't. Any problems are usually down to User Knowledge (RTFM!!!:mad::approve:). we have a lot of Lecture theatres at the Uni, with PCs hardwired into them so Lecturers/ professors can deliver all sorts of media in their lectures now. We also have a connection on the plinths for a laptop - whether it Mac or PC based. Now in the last few weeks, we've had all sorts of challenges with people connecting up Macs to the Pc and wondering why they can't log in, even to the wireless network (which is nigh on impossible in the middle of the solid concrete Art College by the way ) ;). As I mentioned 95% of the problems facing us have been ones of User knowledge - or lack of it. Generally a few minutes fiddling about finding where the settings are kept, and it's sorted :D

So.. basically what has already been said... but if you are fairly proficient at using one, then the other should come to you reasonably easily... y' just have to learn some stuff! :D:D

(and if I had to choose a laptop... it would probably be an iBook) ;);););):D

The Dogfather
6th December 2005, 02:44 AM
The most confusing sequence of words in the history of confusing sequences of words, from the Bad dog:D:D

listen I got just enough time to type my responses, you don't expect me to check 'em as well :D