PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S Question

jamiec
26th November 2005, 04:46 AM
Quick question for you guys...

...whats the difference between the phase1 cooper s, pre 03 plate i think, and the later phase2 03 onwards?

So far I can see that the pedals on latter models were all aluminium.

Anyother changes? :)

Gismo
26th November 2005, 04:53 AM
The steering wheel changed from 2 to 3 spoke, an extra cubby hole appeared beside your right knee on the dash, also, a glove box was optional

KINGHORN
27th November 2005, 01:41 AM
Mine is dec 03 build and it has a 2 spoke wheel

Mon the fish
27th November 2005, 05:51 AM
The pedals were only plastic on the very first S's, went to the aluminium look not long after.

Do you mean the difference when the lights changed, about mid-04 (I think)? If so, the power went from 163 to 170bhp (due to the JCW supercharger with coated blades I think), a closer ratio gearbox (so it feels quicker), different lights as I said, interior lights where the clock used to be above the rear-view mirror, clock now in the trip part of the speedo, LEDs in the inside door handles, the afore-mentioned steering wheel, erm... oh aye, another easy way to tell - pre-facelift - light in bumper is reversing light. Post-facelift - its the foglight, reversing lights part of the main cluster.

jamiec
27th November 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks Mon the fish thats what I was after.

Is it also worth avoiding some of the earlier ones? Any design flaws etc to watch out for?

Mon the fish
27th November 2005, 10:43 PM
Not really, but the close-ratio gearbox improves the car quite a bit. And any daft niggles are more likely to be ironed out on later cars, but I think most of the niggles were ironed out before the S was launched.

In short, get a facelift car if you can afford it, definitely faster :cool:

colink
1st December 2005, 04:45 AM
The facelifted S also has the poppy exhaust :D That alone is worth getting a newer one for ;)

Big Col
1st December 2005, 05:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by colink

The facelifted S also has the poppy exhaust :D That alone is worth getting a newer one for ;)

I totally agree!

vroooooooooom popopoppopopopopopopopop :D:D:D:D

Crombers
1st December 2005, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I totally agree!

Mmmmmm , adds a little weight to my 'S' dilema :approve:

colink
1st December 2005, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I totally agree!

and if you get a GTT reroute pipe, it goes VRRRROOOOOM POP POP POP POP:D

Cooper_si
1st December 2005, 10:23 PM
163bhp on early models and 170bhp on later models ;)

Also take the sponge out of the back panel trim...then hear it POP even louder !!! ha ha ha